Temp Gauge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the last 5 months I noticed that my temp gauge does not move much. It go a little over the C mark than stops. Months ago it was running hot and notice the thermostat was split. I replaced with a OE and it never went much past the C mark since. I gave it a regular flush with a garden hose and burped the crap out of it. Top hose gets hot as well as the radiator. Just wondering if it should run a little warmer or if any harm is being done. Heres a pic after running errands for an hour

image-776154199.jpg

image-776154199.jpg

Did you use the O ring gasket that goes on top of the thermostat?

get an infrared thermometer, see what the engine is really running at.

You put the second gasket on the thermostat when you replaced it right?

Yup gasket and o ring with rtv. Wondering if its faulty or possible temp sender sensor?

Till you know what the actual temp is, it's just a guessing game..

What range do I need to be in? Ill check it in a few days at work. Thanks

190-205 ish

I had a similar problem a year after getting my 60,the temp just went past C and stayed there come to find out the thermostat was upside down and missing gasket on top.:D

I thinking towards the sensor. Really rough starts. I think it piggy backs the cold start injector. Gonna ohm it out

Last edited:
I have had a similar issue. My temp gauge moved only a fraction and my heater didn't blow more than lukewarm so first topped up radiator which didn't make a difference and then I replaced the thermostat - the old one had completely fallen apart and came out in 2 or 3 pieces. All gaskets/o-rings installed, radiator topped up, burped etc and my gauge moves about the same as yours now. I don't have access to an infrared thermometer but my sense is it is the sending unit. I think all these parts on my 89 FJ62 are original (215k miles) so I think I am right in thinking they could have exceeded their like expectancy.

Hi, mine runs 1/4 from the c mark since I got it and is been fine always. The thing is that it doesn't have any thermostat never... so I have a few questions: 1) how bad is not having a thermostat
2) do you guys recommend me to install a thermostat?

PD: the thing is that where I live is really hot most time of the year and the mechanic said to my dad one that there was no difference between having or not having a thermo... so since then we haven't had any... the other thing is that the OEM parts here end Venezuela are like gold for almost any vehicle even new ones ( yeah I know its a disaster and the market is full of Chinese crap parts). So I haven't been that interested in putting one and all the people tell me that they tend to stick and maybe cause an overheating problem... so that's the main reason I'm not running one.

So what do you guys recommend me to do? Sorry for my poor English .

Well I found my issue. Looks like the thermo was stuck open. It seems to read a little high now. Gonna reburp it later and see if it helps. Heats on blast now

image-702086558.jpg

image-4148203045.jpg

image-2278631841.jpg

image-702086558.jpg

image-4148203045.jpg

image-2278631841.jpg

sorry to drag up an old thread but thought no need to start another new one.
So firstly I live in Australia. So have the carby 3f motor.
Had a look into
My thermostat as was running rather cool. Found top o ring missing. Since replacing it runs noticeably warmer but I find myself more fixed on the gauge now.
Before it still got to temp just took a lot longer but on a real hot day sat at a good temp. It's quite cool over here atm and the other day was around 94degrres Celsius without being worked.
So if I was to revert back to running no o ring. Do u think it will dramatically shorten engine life?

I should add that I have newish water pump viscous fan. All rad hoses , coolant and bled. I haven't had the rad rodded but with no Oring sat between 1/4 and a third and went up
A half when really working it on a 40 degree Celsius day in sand with A/C on. Which is about how I want it to be.

Well you know your cooling system worked fine because when the thermostat was being bypassed by a missing gasket the engine ran cool enough.

Put in a new thermostat and then you can stop staring at the gauge. They're often misleading.

Cool (too cool) engines wear out faster and get worse mileage (kilometerage?)

Thanks OS.
I Bought a new 88degree Oem thermostat with the new O ring gasket. But couldn't get it to run cool. Not sure y that was the case. As Ive allways had good results with Oem stats.
There may have been air in the system but I couldn't get it to stay cool enough while trying to bleed it.
Tested both the Oem 88 degree and the old 82 degree aftermarket thermostat. Which both tested fine in the heated water .The aftermarket stat did open sooner and stayed open longer as it should being a lower temp stat. So put that stat back in with O ring . While it doesn't overheat and generally runs at good temps it does run up to low 90s at times. Considering its allmost winter over here I would of expected slightly lower temps.
So I'm not sure where to go from here. Either leave it as is and hope temps don't rise any higher or just remove o ring and have it running a bit cooler than it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom