Temp gauge vs. thermostat 1HD-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Something occurred to me an hour ago before it got down to 21 degrees tonight here in GA. I just bought my HDJ80 from the Canary Islands where the low temps are 56 degrees F. I hydro'd my coolant which I have not flushed yet and sure enough, I am not prepared. I drained a few gallons and replaced it with some concentrate but I am not convinced my thermostat is opening to circulate. The new thermostat (I have not installed yet) says 76-90 degrees. Can anyone tell me what my dash temp gauge is reading when it just starts to come up? Is that the temp the thermostat should open? My temp gauge is plenty high now but when I open the petcock on the radiator to drain, It still feels cool for a minute before going warm.

Is that the temp the thermostat should open?

Ive always taken that the t/stat has opened as soon as the gauge begins to move off the bottom. It coincides with a noticeable change in temp to the radiator hoses.

It still feels cool for a minute before going warm.

It could be either the t/stat or the cores are blocked in your radiator.

It could be either the t/stat or the cores are blocked in your radiator.

That would suck. Let's hope that isn't the problem. Heat comes on fine and engine has been cooling down fine. Even my rear heater still works incredibly enough. I really need to get the system flushed properly and a new t-stat. Radiator didn't blow last night so that's all that matters right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom