Temp Gauge or Temp Sensor Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a Chevy 350 installed on my '73 Cruiser and the Temp gauge doesn't work. According to the person that did the work, the gauge worked when he had it in his shop...go figure! Anyway, the gauge (part of the original gauge cluster) is pegged full right at "H" (potential indications of a failed Temp gauge???) and I'd like to be able to once again monitor the temp. One question that was asked - and one about which I am unsure - is if the Temp sending unit is a Toyota or Chevy unit. Anyone else had this problem? If so, potential fixes???

Thanks a bunch!

:cheers:

welcome.

I would make sure that you have a Toyota sender in there for starters...Should be a smaller brass plug affair with a single male spade connector from the top of it.....similar to many a sender out there... ;)

Have you verified that the wire from the sender to the insturment is good? Have you ohmed it? This is something else I would verify before I suspect a faulty gauge....

IIRC, the older temp gauge defaulted to the H side when the truck was turned off....

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks, Steve

I have yet to delve into the problem, but Ohming out the wire wasn't something that I would have thought of. I'll start with connections, Ohming out the wire, etc and verify that the sending unit is Toyota and not Chevy. Thanks for your reply and I look forward to solving the problem.

Matt

(I'm from Pelican Lake, MN...miss those leaves in the fall!)

On my 71, the temp is max hot when it is off, or if the wire is not connected. I had to use a Toyota sender with an adapter bushing to thread into my 327. Somewhere along the line Toyota changed to the gauge being at cold when it is off. (my 78 dash is that way)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom