Tell me what I want for rear bumper - Use case: Costa Rica family/fun rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK. I've got a great HDJ80 in costa rica. It is our daily driver and only vehicle (at least until my Wolverine RMAX4 1000 is delivered.) We love exploring Costa Rica and need a capable rig. I have dented and scratched rear bumper and rumpled the side steps a little bit. I want more armor so I don't ahve ot worry about it. I have ARB front bumper and rack because I have a friend that knows the ARB importer and it was easy to get that done. I looked the ARB rear bumper and rock sliders but I do not like their products for these locations on vehicle.

I recently found a fabricator who does all manner of custom bumpers, sliders, racks etc. Hobbies4x4

I am going to get them to do a rear bumper and sliders but I have to tell them what I want which is where the questions start.

On the one hand I would love to have dual swing outs with tire carrier and basket/jack mount/etc so that I can be best prepared for backwoods (backjungle) exploring. Right now I only have the OEM steet tire spare underneath.

But on the other hand the everyday casual use of the rig is to go to the beach and one of the absolute best features of the Series 80 is the traditional split rear with proper tailgate. It is a workbench, picnic table, seating, cocktail bar, gear sorting table, sunscreen bar, etc. So while I like the utility of the swing outs I also really like the casual everyday utility of the easy/quick access to tailgate. We are constantly in and out of the back when parked at the beach. Note that we often do keep the car closed and locked when not actively accessing it because sneaky petty theft is a thing here at populated beaches.

Obviously you can swing the swingouts....out... but what if you are not parked level or there is a tree or you just want to quickly open and close grab a cold one from the cooler? I am torn and can't decide if I should just get a low profile bumper with receiver and recover points only and keep the car the same above bumper level or if having swingouts "in teh way" alll the time is worth it?

Anyone put on swingouts and regret it? Anyone have any other thoughts?

20201118_144636.jpg

20201129_130237.jpg

Hi, Interesting in all our trips to Costa Rica we have never had anything stolen. Even left things in places and had them returned to us later. Personally I like the uncluttered look. Can you get a under cruiser extra gas tank? Mike

Hi, Interesting in all our trips to Costa Rica we have never had anything stolen. Even left things in places and had them returned to us later. Personally I like the uncluttered look. Can you get a under cruiser extra gas tank? Mike

I have never had anything stolen either but I’m also very aware of it. We have met tourists that I’ve had the rental car broken into at a public beach on at least two occasions. Usually it’s because they have left something of obvious value in plain sight and because they’re obviously tourist and it’s an obvious rental car. Any travel forums or travel advice you read about Costa Rica are similar to other Caribbean type nations where you just have to be aware.

as for the fuel tank I already have factory original auxiliary diesel tank. My rig has all the good stuff it was a good find.

I’d look at white knuckle sliders. The deltavs rear bumper is titties.

I guess what I am looking for is opinions on living with swingouts on a daily driver used for routine grocery trips, etc. plus do they get annoying when you want ot use the tailgate?
I don't have a tire swing out, but I do carry a wheelchair rack on my DD.

On my LC, it's not a big deal because the rack clears my tailgate and I have full use of the rear gate.
On our van that has the same rack, it is a huge pain to DD that and have to access the rear with having to unlatch and swing the gate out, just to grab something out of the back. It makes us try to shortcut and go around all the time.

With the LC, you can add gull wing doors on the rear slider windows to offset the bother, but it's more money.

Our rack is designed so it has a positive stop and cannot swing too far and hit the side of the vehicle. Dealing with it in the rain takes a lot of time and you get soaked opening and closing it.

The above is the entire reason I have not added a tire swing out rear bumper to my LC. The inconveniences of it far outweigh the benefits or cool factor for me.

That said, if you are remote and in the jungle, you may need the extra parts it can help with.

Swing outs are a pain, I have had them on other Reg's but I don't run them on my current 80 for the reason you state. If you are living out of you Reg and need them that one thing for day to day use they get in the way. That being said some people just remove the swing outs for DD and put back on for over landing trips.

I don't have a tire swing out, but I do carry a wheelchair rack on my DD.

On my LC, it's not a big deal because the rack clears my tailgate and I have full use of the rear gate.
On our van that has the same rack, it is a huge pain to DD that and have to access the rear with having to unlatch and swing the gate out, just to grab something out of the back. It makes us try to shortcut and go around all the time.

With the LC, you can add gull wing doors on the rear slider windows to offset the bother, but it's more money.

Our rack is designed so it has a positive stop and cannot swing too far and hit the side of the vehicle. Dealing with it in the rain takes a lot of time and you get soaked opening and closing it.

The above is the entire reason I have not added a tire swing out rear bumper to my LC. The inconveniences of it far outweigh the benefits or cool factor for me.

That said, if you are remote and in the jungle, you may need the extra parts it can help with.

Very thoughtful and helpful response, thank you. This is exactly what I was worried about

I do have a full rack on top so anything that could be put on bumper can also be put on top. I think I'll skip the swingouts and just get them to make nice minimalist bumper with receiver. Can use the receiver to carry a removable basket or other racks/accessories if/when necessary.

Swing outs are a pain, I have had them on other Reg's but I don't run them on my current 80 for the reason you state. If you are living out of you Reg and need them that one thing for day to day use they get in the way. That being said some people just remove the swing outs for DD and put back on for over landing trips.

also a good point and thank you for the response. I guess I could at least have bumper made with "sockets" or whatever so swingouts coudl be added if/when I wanted to do larger scale overlanding. I have a dream about overlanding from Costa RIca down into Columbia and exploring around a bit.

What size tire do you have? Your guy could easily build you a bumper that allows you to keep the spare tire underneath like it is stock. Problem solved.

I debated on whether to have swingouts or not when building a 4x4 Labs rear bumper. I loved the functionality of walking up and opening the rear hatch with no obstructions. However, we needed a spare tire and on several trips I had to make a tough decision of taking the spare in the back or no spare at all. The anxiety of not having a spare on offroad trips with roots and rocks convinced me to have swingouts on the bumper.

I do not regret it at all! Sure it is an extra step to access the rear but knowing I have my spare tire, 2 jerrycans of gas, and a trasharoo are less items I have to worry about before a trip.

1608736963726.png

I have a gas strut on my swing out. No issue at all. Release the latch and give it a slight nudge and it swings itself out of the way and keeps it there. I've parked it in all directions (truck leaning to the left, right, forward, and backward) to test it out - it always stays open with that strut.

Alternatively (or in addition to), get a lock out pin. Swing it open and put in the pin to lock it in place.

So far mine hasn't gotten in the way of anything. Solid feature for a larger tire.

I've had a few 4wds with swing-outs and intend to not have one in the future if I can avoid it. One of those rigs had the split upper/lower hatch/tailgate like the 80 and the other had a single lifting rear hatch. It's not necessarily that big of a deal if you have a swing-out but it changed how I used my rigs with them and was sometimes annoying.

I didn't have a gas strut as above, and that would have been really nice in off-camber parking/etc. My setups were older and didn't always stay open properly, etc. If I didn't keep them clean then it was a way to unexpectedly get nicer clothes dirty, etc. Rear view via the window/center mirror was partially blocked. One or both of the swingouts squeaked a bit on rough roads as I recall. Lots of little annoyances. The main problem though beyond all of the little problems was the extra step to get to the cargo area. On my 80 I use the rear cargo a lot for all sorts of things. It's rare for me to not throw something back there like a coat or something for the kids, etc. Needing to deal with a swingout would change how easy and useful my 80 is for me so I'll personally be sticking with a tire size that can fit under the truck.

Last edited:
Thank you to all for the comments. I have decided no swing outs but the bumper will be made so they can be added later if desired. I am going with a low profile bumper somewhat tight to body. I've asked for a 2" receiver (strong), two two/recovery points, place for hi-lift jack, and steps in side protection.

We are Using Delta Vehicle Systems bumper as a example.

3073c45f-7c0b-401a-95c9-8d7d4bbe897c.jpg

For the sliders I am going with a Step slider using Slee's step slider as an example. This builder has done them like this before and they have a CNC machine (waterjet?) that can make custom designs in the step. We affectionately have named our rig El Burro del Pantano so I am thinking about getting this put on the steps. Would be fun/funny. May affect resale but why would I sell a diesel, manual, triple locked, 2 fuel tank, PTO winch, 3rd row air cond, console refrigerator land cruiser in good condition?

982d9e9b-d61e-4aa8-abf7-f14ac9d2e3f4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom