Tell me I’m not the first one to be so careless (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yanking the electric fan shroud, and broke the overflow nipple. Surely the whole radiator is not toasted

I want to just get some 5 min epoxy and glue it back on. Is there a self threading brass nipple ?
179ED23E-B2F6-4EF4-AF9D-BC54964D2BE6.jpeg
Is there a better repair ?

Can I ever trust the cooling system again under pressure ??

I’ve done that. From the looks of it, that rad needs to be replaced anyway; the plastic shouldn’t be brown.

I thought I remembered someone else experiencing this recently and I found the post. Hopefully this helps until you get a new radiator.
So I mentioned before that I broke the bypass nipple off while reassembling after belts and hoses, I chewed on a number of solutions including just plugging it, but I settled on a brass barb fitting threaded into the tank.

View attachment 1950505
I used a heat gun to warm and soften the plastic around the hole then a stepped bit to drill it out to 1/2". I reheated the tank to soften the plastic again and slowly threaded the fitting into the tank. I pulled it out and coated the threads in epoxy and threaded it back in one last time and bing bang boom.
View attachment 1950506
I drove 62 miles last night, no weeping, no issues. I don't expect it to last forever, I already plan to buy a new radiator after seeing the inside of mine, even after a flush, but I just had to drop 1K on new tires for the wifes car, so if I can get to June on this fix, I'll be quite pleased.
View attachment 1950507

This small bypass hose is in pretty rough shape, so I'm going to go ahead and replace all the other hoses then too, as @NLXTACY lists them the little hoses, the curved heater hoses, and I'll probably take a look at my old PHH repair as I am not certain the hose brand we used, and based on the condition of the non OEM hoses I pulled off the front of the radiator, I don't have a lot of faith in that.

View attachment 1950504

Yanking the electric fan shroud, and broke the overflow nipple. Surely the whole radiator is not toasted

I want to just get some 5 min epoxy and glue it back on. Is there a self threading brass nipple ? View attachment 1981116Is there a better repair ?

Can I ever trust the cooling system again under pressure ??
Check out my solution quoted above, It's been fine for several months.

I did that a few years ago as well. Changing out the belts and broke it right off with my elbow. I contemplated a repair like mentioned above but it was due for a new radiator anyway. But a replacement brass nipple might be a handy thing to keep in the tool bag.

You might fix it but i wouldn't trust it. Broke mine last year 2 days before week long trip to colorado high country. Just bite the bullet and get a new one. No what you want to fix on on the road.

I did it on my daughters Tacoma. I tried to glue it but it didn't work. Bite the bullet and get a new one

Been there, done that.
Elbowed the nipple while working on something else.
Repaired it with a steel nipple from a bubble pack fuel filter (O'Rielly), a stainless fender washer, silver solder, and JB Weld.
Had it back on the road that same evening. Was so proud.
Within 2 weeks - the tank cracked, several inches along the length - repaired again with fiberglass cloth and JB Weld.
It cracked again on the other side.

Bottom line - the tank plastic died of old age after giving 20 years of faithful service.
Don't over react and freak out about plastic.
Plastic tank radiators are fine, but don't expect them to last for 25 years.
But 10 -15 year dependable service life is OK, right?

I can recommend the TYC 1918. Plastic / aluminum / cheap / excellent cooling performance.

OldOEMRadiator_BypassNippleRepair.JPG

OldOEMRadiator_TankCrackPatch1.JPG

Last edited:
What is a bubble pack fuel filter?

Get a new rad or you'll blow your head gasket.:deadhorse:

I did that. Threaded the hole and screwed a brass pipe nipple in with JB weld on it. That was about 10,000 miles ago and several hard wheeling trips. Still going as far as I know.

"bubble pack fuel filter" - I just meant a generic fuel filter packaged in a bubble pack, hanging on the wall - wandered around in the store until I saw something that I thought would work.

Someone should sell a "Nipple Kit" :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Replaced my radiator and mine had obviously been broken and sort of repaired many years before. Only noticed it when i went to remove that small hose the nipple came off with a bunch a rtv around it.

Honestly a new rad is neither expensive nor hard to install, seems to me a no brainer when thinking about the costs associated with fixing what it failing could/would lead to!

Besides given the discoloration of your current top tank it appears a replacement radiator is probably overdue anyway!

I used a piece of brass tubing, and it last until, quite a wile but it's not great buy a new radiator

Drill, Tap 3/8 NPT, Brass 3/8" Barb Fitting with PTFE Tape, Watch your coolant level.
I about had a Hernia when it happened.
Been leak free since I did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom