Tell me if I'm missing anything (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aaronrules

Coolest person you know!
Threads
Hey guys. I put together an Amazon list for stuff I need to put a CB in my truck. Can you all go look at it and tell me if I'm missing anything?

You can critique what I have on there a little, but please only for performance reasons. Not something like "I'll never use this because only communists use those...". And unless the site you may recommend me buying from is cheaper than this list, I will keep it as a piece by piece list. Maybe I'm missing some features that I should have on the CB? Antenna good enough? Stuff like that. And the multiple connections are there for good reasons. Not the least of which is the ability to take the antenna off quickly. But I may entertain a way to secure the antenna to the mount in a way that makes it hard to impossible for it to get stolen, if there is such a solution.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Amazon.com

Looks good. Another place you might consider purchasing from is Right Channel Radios.

Yeah, I bought my setup from these guys and they were great. Everything I needed, same price as Amazon, and really fast shipping.

As a side note, have you thought about ham radio?

List looks good, but I'd choose a handheld like Midland 75-822 so that it could be tucked away when not in use. I hate seeing units bolted on and in the way.

Also, the 18ft cord wasn't long enough for me. I had to buy a 5ft extension. Depends on how you install it I suppose. FWIW, my ant. is at the rear hatch with that same mount. The meter is a waste of money, IMO.

Last edited:

I have a firestik antenna mounted to the fender on my K5, mount is similar to the one listed. The antenna puts a fair amount of stress on the mount and the metal underneath. Blame any problems on inferior Chevy sheetmetal... On the LX, there's a much sturdier YodaTeq mount on the rear hatch bolts, firefly antenna mounts on a heavy spring with the disconnect, and the stuff works fine. Critical element is a tennis ball on the antenna (to prevent the antenna hitting the body directly) ... and yes, we measured SWR after installing the tennis ball. SWR meter is certainly worth it, And by now there's a Baofeng handheld in that truck, tuned to a GMRS frequency (I hold the appropriate license) for those times when the CB doesn't cut it, or when a handheld radio is desirable.

Hey guys. I put together an Amazon list for stuff I need to put a CB in my truck. Can you all go look at it and tell me if I'm missing anything?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Amazon.com

You're a communist! :)

Where are you going to mount that antenna? That one needs a ground plane (is probably a 5/8-wave). It should do well on the roof or hood (fender), not so much on a bumper.

In my experience, those quick-disconnects and springs will make it harder to tune the antenna and get a good SWR. I understand that sometimes you need a spring on the trail, but I would ditch the quick disconnect. Not that hard to unscrew the antenna without one and it will save you some grief later.

Yeah, I bought my setup from these guys and they were great. Everything I needed, same price as Amazon, and really fast shipping.

As a side note, have you thought about ham radio?

I've done a comparison and it looks like Amazon is cheaper. When you throw in the extra speakers and disconnects.

Yes HAM is very much in my mind. Just find the time to get licensed.

I went ahead and ordered the 510 XL package and compact speaker from rightchannelradios.com. I went with the advice of you guys, I really do not need the quick disconnects after some thought. I hope I don't suck at getting it installed!

Going to resurrect this because I had a quick question. I just bought the Firestik Firefly. Will I see much of a difference if I get the bulkier FS series? For something like Hundreds in the hills? Just wondering if I should spend a little more, or if the firefly is more than enough. Cheers,

Firefly should be fine. Assume you are running a standard 5 watt CB and don't need the 900 watt max of FS.
Which length did you get. Where will it be mounted? How much is top of antenna over the top of roof line.
If you can mount it so top of antenna is a foot to two feet over roof line you will have better performance. Example if it is mounted on rear bumper and does not stick up much above roof line you will have good performance to the rear and poorer to the front.

Think about getting your Ham licensee, test is fairly easy and radio performance is much better.

Firefly should be fine. Assume you are running a standard 5 watt CB and don't need the 900 watt max of FS.
Which length did you get. Where will it be mounted? How much is top of antenna over the top of roof line.
If you can mount it so top of antenna is a foot to two feet over roof line you will have better performance. Example if it is mounted on rear bumper and does not stick up much above roof line you will have good performance to the rear and poorer to the front.

Think about getting your Ham licensee, test is fairly easy and radio performance is much better.
Good questions:

1. I bought the Midland 75-822
2. 4' length
3. Passenger side hood
4. I am a a foot and a half above the roof but there is a thule cargo box, but probably a good foot(ish) over that.

I would get HAM eventually, but everyone on my trip will be on CB since it's pretty beginner friendly (HIH8).

Good questions:
4. I am a a foot and a half above the roof but there is a thule cargo box, but probably a good foot(ish) over that.
I would get HAM eventually, but everyone on my trip will be on CB since it's pretty beginner friendly (HIH8).

Should work out fine, and groups stay closely spaced most of the time. Last year at HIH while everyone has CB there were a few of us on each trail running Ham. In the mountains the Ham range is really nice if the group gets too far apart.
Have a slip in mount for your Midland so it is handy. Want a little bit of retention so radio does not get bounced out on rough roads. Heavy duty Velcro if you can't come up with a mount. Figure out mount location so cables route cleanly when you bring to it your mouth to talk.
Too many of the handhelds get bounced around, then damaged, or settings changed, can't get to them on the floor ...

Another hint: Don’t wrap extra coax up tied in a tight coil. This will form a high frequency filter and reduce your performance. Instead spread out the coax loosely in broad lengths. If the 9ft coax will work use it instead of the 18ft.
If a friend or shop can use an SWR meter to tune your antenna that helps, if not may find someone at HIH with one.

Another hint: Don’t wrap extra coax up tied in a tight coil. This will form a high frequency filter and reduce your performance. Instead spread out the coax loosely in broad lengths. If the 9ft coax will work use it instead of the 18ft.
If a friend or shop can use an SWR meter to tune your antenna that helps, if not may find someone at HIH with one.
Oh that's interesting, I have the 18ft, but if I am running it from the passenger side hood, I could get away with a 9ft I think

Oh that's interesting, I have the 18ft, but if I am running it from the passenger side hood, I could get away with a 9ft I think
Please report back on your experience -- I have been looking at nearly that exact set up with the 75-822 and 4' Firefly on the hood (probably on mag mount). Planning on taking HAM test in a month, but think I might still need CB for situations like you describe.

Please report back on your experience -- I have been looking at nearly that exact set up with the 75-822 and 4' Firefly on the hood (probably on mag mount). Planning on taking HAM test in a month, but think I might still need CB for situations like you describe.
It takes a really huge mag mount hold that size antenna, especially offroad. Also dirt will get under it and mar paint.
One of our sponsors Gamiviti makes a great little bracket for hood mount.
Antenna Brackets

Good questions:

2. 4' length
3. Passenger side hood

I have swr meter if you want to use it, just pm me.....that goes for any of u Austin guys.

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask him if they are 200-friendly.
It takes a really huge mag mount hold that size antenna, especially offroad. Also dirt will get under it and mar paint.
One of our sponsors Gamiviti makes a great little bracket for hood mount.
Antenna Brackets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom