Tell Me About Your Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title says it. Tell me about what roof rack your running and why you do or don't like it. I was looking at gobi, but the ARB aluminum weight savings and flat mesh bottom is probably way more practical and less expensive. What do you guys like?

man-on-fj-cruiser-roof.jpg

BAJA Flat. This works best for me. Low profile so I fit in the garage again... could not with the OEM rack I used to have. Can carry everything from a hi-lift jack, gas cans and gear to full size plywood up there. not real noisy. I can throw a small 2x2 piece of plywood on top and it works as a platform to stand on when taking pictures or video.

BTW: I usually don't carry much weight up top on the trail... prefer to keep the center of gravity low. But if I need too we can transfer gear from another's truck to the roof and bug out in a pinch.

I like the idea of a flat rack, but I've never not had side rails... I feel like I would miss the security. I think ARB has an aluminum option in flat now as well, but I'm not sure. Maybe I just need to got over it and trust my ratchet straps.... hmmmmm. Thanks for the post! looks great!

I used the OEM rack with the Baja drop-in basket. Suited my needs just fine. Pretty much made the entire rack useable real estate. Like the full racks but the basket was affordable worked quite well.
4138E198-A847-4C6B-A51F-0590D51F71B8.jpeg
E80C70DF-3889-44AA-A996-E607FD2B7345.jpeg

3566C86B-DDBF-4B3F-B893-556E1E45242F.jpeg

I really like my Gobi Ranger; holds a ton of stuff, holds more weight than you should really put up there. I've had a bunch of people standing/sitting on mine at one time, without bending or deforming it. I bought it just before a long trip along the continental divide, where we had to self-sufficient for everything for a week for three people, and it was perfect - we had enough gas, water, food, shelter, everything. Even took an astronomical telescope and computerized mount, and a portable toilet for the women folk.

It does make some wind noise on the highway when it's empty, but no worse than MT tires.

MarendowntownRandCO.jpg

mightyMarenwheeler.jpg

mightyFJCD110.jpg

I used the OEM rack with the Baja drop-in basket. ... Pretty much made the entire rack useable real estate. View attachment 1895716

I used this set up for several years and you are right... make all the real estate usable at an fordable rate. And as your pics show, it keeps the good looking OEM lines intact.

Warrior Products flat rack. one of the least expensive full length roof racks with a 1,000lb. capacity limit and alot of eccesaccess (hi-lift mounts, awning brackets, ect)

KIMG0813.JPG

I’m thinking of going flat but unsure. What are the advantages sans RTT. I will never run a RTT so that isn’t important. Nice roof racks fellas! I’m thinking of an arb aluminum flat maybe. I like the idea of side rails though because cans etc... will sometimes be up there

I’m thinking of going flat but unsure. What are the advantages sans RTT. I will never run a RTT so that isn’t important. Nice roof racks fellas! I’m thinking of an arb aluminum flat maybe. I like the idea of side rails though because cans etc... will sometimes be up there

The big advantage I've found with the flat rake is hauling large items such as plywood or long items such as 2x4 lumber for home chores and then the low profile gets me in and out of the garage. When it comes to adventures you can see a flat rack gives you options since you can tie down to cross bars, rails and they all have other tie down loops. On this trip (two weeks and 1,000 miles) I put 2, 5 gal cans up top, a ratchet strap holds them in place (highway and trails). A hi-lift jack and a full size shovel stay put with Four-trek mounts an two sets of Maxtrax with a ratchet strap holding them in place. With no rails it is easy to get to items when I need them.
fj-cruiser-camp-alvord-desert.jpg
Steens-Overland-Adventure-Episode-1-cover.jpg

Nothing wrong with side rails... I've just found the flat BAJA flat rack is more versatile to my changing needs. But everyone is different in what they need or thinks looks good.

Front runner slimline II. Amazing rack

I have seen one on a runner. Is the square stock conducive to ratchet straps and the like. I’ve never cared for square stock. It’s why I think I’m favoring the flat aluminum ARB. The front runner looks nice though and people seem to love them. How versatile is the platform though? Do you need all front runner stuff to use it efficiently? Thanks!

Prinsu was one of the most affordable options at the time I got mine in 2017. I'd buy it again at that price point, but also know that some things would need to be modified/changed during installation.
Pros:
  • modular build
  • light weight (65lbs as pictured, 10 crossbars + air dam)
  • flat roof line is good for large items and RTTs
  • mine, as finally mounted is about 2.5" lower in height than stock FJC rack
Cons:
  • hardware it ships with is garbage (replaced several large washers with new)
  • Provided spacers are too tall (cut mine down)
  • Air dam had too much gap below leading edge (modified mine)
  • Water jet/laser cut logos are dumb (they turn into whistles at speed)
Construction is easier than most Ikea stuff.

Air dam gap and whistle no. 1.

Original spacers sit about 5/8" above roof gutters. Washers that sit above them are too small on OD and too large on ID to be remotely usable.

New lowered air dam position

New lowered spacers with properly sized washers. (Also, the black Torx screws are notorious for breaking off heads too.)

I am running a Baja Rack basket-style roof rack but totally wish I had the flat rack! I love the look of the flat racks way more but I have been able to personalize my Baja Rack by making it a custom "Cruiser Gear" rack.

20180425_195229_zpsilaazel5.jpg

20180425_195654_zpss3trklbj.jpg

20160206_172955_zpsruainkix.jpg

However if I were going to buy a new roof rack, I wouldn't get a Baja Rack, simply because as many have found out, their powder coating STINKS and they rust up a bunch. Mine has little rust spots here and there. None of the coating has chipped away but you can see the rust bubbling up under the powder coating.

I'd much rather get a newer rack that is more form fitting on the FJ, I made this guide over on the FJCruiserForums, it will give you a good idea of what's out there and pricing. NEW Complete Roof Rack Comparison - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

I have seen one on a runner. Is the square stock conducive to ratchet straps and the like. I’ve never cared for square stock. It’s why I think I’m favoring the flat aluminum ARB. The front runner looks nice though and people seem to love them. How versatile is the platform though? Do you need all front runner stuff to use it efficiently? Thanks!
not that i know of. It just uses standard T slots so any accessories will fit that use them.

not that i know of. It just uses standard T slots so any accessories will fit that use them.

I’m starting to lean towards the front runner slimline 2. I want to run a lightbar in the front. Do you know if there is a wind deflectior with a bar cutout? I’m really liking some things I’m reading about the rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom