Tell me about: Altitude Adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
NA 3B heading to Colorado from Virginia for two weeks. Im finishing the install on the pyro gauge this weekend and doing a couple other PM things but I need to know what I should do about tuning for altitude, if anything. I know that I should keep it below ~1100F (correct?) but what about excessive smoke, etc...? Any pictures and first hand knowledge would be much appreciated. Going from the highest ever of about 3500 feet to 10000 and up.

In a word: "turbo".

That is the only thing which is going to adjust for driving at 10,000'. In fact, in Indonesia, they call turbos high altitude compensators.

If that is not in the books, you can turn down the fuel. But that is going to be a pita at 1000' when you want to drive 55 mph. Or, you can just gear down at elevation so you keep your EGTs within range and don't blow a lot of black smoke. But that is going to be real slow going.

In a word: "turbo".

Yeah, its not in the cards for a little while. I couldve put it in but spent the money on an engagement ring and new front seats. The original ones gave me back pain and hip pain within about 3 hours and since I built this thing to go camping and wheeling in, being able to get there without pain was a little more important.

So, I shouldnt worry about adjusting anything but should just drive to the gauge and keep it below 1100F?

haha funny you say that. I had the money set aside for a turbo for my 1HZ but it turns out those rings are more expensive than I thought.

Best of luck

1100F is too conservative. You'll lose your mind trying to keep it that low.

I keep mine below 1250F - I think many people agree. Some people I consider trustworthy on this board also run somewhat higher, over 1300.

Nothing you should adjust but your right foot.

You will be surprised of the difference in speed you will travel at after you've installed your pyro.

Before you had your pyro, I bet you (like most of us) drove up hills in 3rd at 2700-3000 rpm and didn't think much about it. At that speed, mys guess is you're EGT will read somewhere around 1400*F pre-turbo.

Now with the pyro installed, you'll be doing everything you can to keep it under 1250*F pre-turbo and you will drop down to about 2200-2500 rpm and your speed will really decrease. Just don't get discouraged by this. Dont' adjust anything, just drive it and try to keep it at or under 1250*F.

Now, once that weddin is all said and paid for (and a real nice honeymoon I hope), start saving your penies for a turbo, you'll be very glad you did ;)

you should keep a close eye on your pyro .. you best way to handle higger EGT's it's downshift ..

I got no pyro other than the visiual one - the colour of the exhaust. :hillbilly: But I agree with you on the down shifting. It'll also bring your coolant temps back down.

haha funny you say that. I had the money set aside for a turbo for my 1HZ but it turns out those rings are more expensive than I thought.

Yeah they are. I was kind of picky and went with an antique (from 1929) and it absolutely slaughtered my Cruiser fund. What was left went into the seats and I must say, it was a great use of the left over funds.

Im off to England for a year (another reason why I skipped the turbo this go round) for my Masters, come back and the next month is the wedding and then its turbo time. I honestly cannot wait to one on there. I love my truck and although it is more than peppy enough to cruise with the flow of traffic (70 is a cake walk), getting there is a little long.

Mainlander, youre right, I usually buzz up passes around 2500- 2700 rpm. Im running 4.11s and have the H55 and the gear spacing drives me up the f'ing wall. So many times the 4th is too high and 3rd is too low so you either end up lugging or revving up high. A pyro will probably open my eyes a little bit. Im drilling and taping and installing the probe in the manifold this weekend. I went with the Auber EGT display. It doesnt match with the ISSPRO oil pressure gauge I installed BUT it does have an alarm output which is fantastic.

YI usually buzz up passes around 2500- 2700 rpm. Im running 4.11s and have the H55 and the gear spacing drives me up the f'ing wall. So many times the 4th is too high and 3rd is too low so you either end up lugging or revving up high. A pyro will probably open my eyes a little bit.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah. You're in for a surprise.

Yeah they are. I was kind of picky and went with an antique (from 1929) and it absolutely slaughtered my Cruiser fund. What was left went into the seats and I must say, it was a great use of the left over funds.

Im off to England for a year (another reason why I skipped the turbo this go round) for my Masters, come back and the next month is the wedding and then its turbo time. I honestly cannot wait to one on there. I love my truck and although it is more than peppy enough to cruise with the flow of traffic (70 is a cake walk), getting there is a little long.

Mainlander, youre right, I usually buzz up passes around 2500- 2700 rpm. Im running 4.11s and have the H55 and the gear spacing drives me up the f'ing wall. So many times the 4th is too high and 3rd is too low so you either end up lugging or revving up high. A pyro will probably open my eyes a little bit. Im drilling and taping and installing the probe in the manifold this weekend. I went with the Auber EGT display. It doesnt match with the ISSPRO oil pressure gauge I installed BUT it does have an alarm output which is fantastic.

You're going to grow to hate that alarm feature.... as it won't shut off soon enough when climbing hills, if you have it set at 1250* that is. I'd honestly just leave it off or set it high, like around 1400*, this will tell you to pull over immediately and let your truck idle down a couple minutes.

I found that I drive very differently on hills now. I watch my EGT gauge more than any other gauge, next is the RPM's and when I hit 2000rpm in 4th, I down shift and try to keep it at 2700 rpm in 3rd, no higher. So maybe the alarm feature won't even be needed. I don't got one and I always seem to be watching my EGT gauge...

You're going to grow to hate that alarm feature.... as it won't shut off soon enough when climbing hills, if you have it set at 1250* that is. I'd honestly just leave it off or set it high, like around 1400*, this will tell you to pull over immediately and let your truck idle down a couple minutes.

I use the alarms on both of my trucks, I really like it. Its a HUGE help to not have to watch the gauge. Before long you'll learn what pedal pressure is appropriate for various speeds/grades and the alarm won't come on much at all.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah. You're in for a surprise.

:)

Makes me wish I had a pyro on the 2H with 3.73 gears and H55 pulling a 23 foot trailer that weighed 5000+ lbs through the mountains and across this country and back. Many a time climbing hills saw 3000 rpm and 3rd gear for ages it seemed. Of course, this is before I knew any better.

Hmm, maybe it's best I don't know. :)

Hmm, maybe it's best I don't know. :)

I know a guy who worked for a trucking firm that disconnected all the pyros in their tractors precisely because their drivers were freaking all the time about the high EGTs and alarms going off. Sometimes, ignorance is truly bliss and more productive.

I drove my BJ44 for a few years before the turbo and adjusted the fuel to compensate. I found myself adjustng the fuel a little high just so I could accellerate if I needed to but would keep the EGTs in range with my foot. I thought this better than having the pedal on the floor and still being in a safe range. I had a little more power if I needed it and could decide how long to use it depending on how soon I would be able to back off and let her spill the heat...

Let me know if you want some help when you get here. I'm in Denver and Breckenridge.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom