Telescoping/Til Steering Wheel Electrical Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently picked up an 05 LC. Telescope and Tilt don't work...I thought 'Oh simple! I'll just replace the motors'. Replaced the telescoping first, then tested, still nothing. Got out my probe light and found there's no power going to the motor, or to the switch. Both fuses (under hood and under passenger kick panel) are good.

The tilt/telescope switch has a blue casing with a red/silver and a white/silver wire inside. Neither have 12v.

Any insight here? Is there a relay i'm missing that could be bad? All other electronics on the wheel are functioning normally, so i'm not sure where my lack of power is coming from.

Thanks!

IMG_5751.JPG

At the bottom left of that plug (under the wheel view) there is a pink wire in the bottom left most corner. I'm reading .28v constant from that wire. It's also a continuous connection to the red/grey wire to the til switch, and the red/grey wire to the tel motor. My thoughts are that needs to be 12v to actuate the motors, but for some reason its not...

Does anyone know if this pink wire is supposed to be 12v constant/keyed? And where it comes from so I can start tracing back any breaks/resistance/fuses?

Cheers,
Rob

View attachment 2410899

At the bottom left of that plug (under the wheel view) there is a pink wire in the bottom left most corner. I'm reading .28v constant from that wire. It's also a continuous connection to the red/grey wire to the til switch, and the red/grey wire to the tel motor. My thoughts are that needs to be 12v to actuate the motors, but for some reason its not...

Does anyone know if this pink wire is supposed to be 12v constant/keyed? And where it comes from so I can start tracing back any breaks/resistance/fuses?

Cheers,
Rob
Did you ever solve your problem? I’m about to dive into troubleshooting mine. Tilt works though i’m not sure it has the full range downward. Does not telescope at all. Trying to avoid throwing $ at the motor if its just a fuse or relay. Thanks

Assuming you checked techstream setting?
No. On my list to figure out techstream diy and ultimately turn off the automatic movement of all the things. I’m a newbie to these trucks for sure.

The button on the column does not telescope it so I assumed it was electrical or the motor, not a setting.

Unfortunately I never solved the issue. I manually adjusted the wheel and put it all back together. Both the motors were okay (tested in another cruiser), but they weren't getting proper power.

When I first got my truck, the auto tilt didn't work, but the telescope did. I checked techstream and found a code set in the tilt/telescoping ECU. Once I cleared the code, it all started working again. I suspect the clogged sunroof drains at the time allowed water to get to the tilt/telescope ECU, it showed evidence of dried water droplets on the cover. Once all dried out and codes cleared, it's been relatively reliable since. The motors are getting weak in cold weather, but I've left the auto tiltaway feature on to prevent the column from getting stuck in place. I'll replace the motors when they finally kick the bucket for good.

When I first got my truck, the auto tilt didn't work, but the telescope did. I checked techstream and found a code set in the tilt/telescoping ECU. Once I cleared the code, it all started working again. I suspect the clogged sunroof drains at the time allowed water to get to the tilt/telescope ECU, it showed evidence of dried water droplets on the cover. Once all dried out and codes cleared, it's been relatively reliable since. The motors are getting weak in cold weather, but I've left the auto tiltaway feature on to prevent the column from getting stuck in place. I'll replace the motors when they finally kick the bucket for good.
Good tip. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom