Teflon locking nuts or nuts & lock-washers on OME greaseble shackle pins? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which is better?
About a year ago I replaced my shackle bushings. I put everything back together tight but last week I lost the back end nut to one of my shackle pins. Upon further inspection, during the repair, I found the back end nuts on all the shackle pins were loose. So now I'm wondering if I should have replaced the old lock-washers when I did the bushing install.

The OME people were great about offering to send me the hardware but being impatient as I am I began the repair before the hardware got here. I cleaned up the pin threads and grabbed a new lock washer, all I needed was the nut to finish the job. So I went looking for a 12/1.5 nut and found regular and self locking with teflon. I decided to do a little experiment. On the drivers side I replaced the old with new lock washers and nuts and on the right side I installed the teflon nuts. I will be checking them after every outing.

I doubt that I'm the first to try this and I am wondering how others have made out with the self locking nuts?

0509161307.jpg

0509161307a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom