TechStream for 98 LX470 on Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks - I'm trying to get TechStream running to help with my 98 LX470. Trying to run a Windows 10 system. I have the cable and TS vers. 13. Initial installation was a real bear. Kept getting VIM errors when trying to connect to the vehicle. Finally got that resolved but not exactly sure how. I can now connect to the system but when I try to run any tests the system crashes. I'm not sure if the issue is TS vers. 13 or the inherent difficulties with TS and Windows 10. I'm trying to source an old laptop running earlier version of Windows but would like to be able to use the Windows 10 system if possible.

Any suggestions?

Which one did you get? Some of the cables on Amazon claim to work with Windows 10 but actually don’t. I know with certainty that this one does work with 10: Amazon product ASIN B084H75MZ3
Also, assuming you have 64-bit, there’s a somewhat convoluted process to getting Techstream running. For example, I don’t even open the Techstream program from the desktop icon but instead go into the files and open a separate exe file.

Thanks - were the installation instruction with that product clear enough to know how to install it?

Yes

This one worked for me on Win10: Amazon product ASIN B084P3WCJC
IIRC I needed to get their specific software/drivers to make it all work properly. FWIW I'm running Win10 inside Parallels Desktop on a recent-ish MacBook Pro. 95% sure it's a 64bit installation.

In my experience, Techstream works just fine with Windows XP/7/8/10 32bit or 64bit.

The problematic piece seems to be the driver(s) for the Chinese knock off cable(s). I’ve had the best luck with the 32bit drivers, which seems to work just fine with Windows XP/7/8/10 32bit. There are 64bit drivers out there, and I have been able to make them work, they’ve just tended to be more temperamental and less reliable.

One of the reasons that I prefer a Windows tablet for Techstream, is that many older inexpensive “Atom” based tablets, came with a 32bit version of Windows 8, that is easily (and free) upgraded to Windows 10 (32bit).

I think it is something to do with V13.x because I have that one and I get system crashes when I attempt to do certain checks. I do have a v12.x somewhere so I may try uninstalling v13 and installing 13. This is running on an updated version of Win10 Pro.

I think it is something to do with V13.x because I have that one and I get system crashes when I attempt to do certain checks. I do have a v12.x somewhere so I may try uninstalling v13 and installing 13. This is running on an updated version of Win10 Pro.
I'm exploring installing on an old laptop. I'll install v12 on it. Most software companies avoid releasing a v13 - bad voodoo. Maybe Techstream should have too?

Could be some odd compatibility issue. Mine is installed on a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga S1 (so circa 2014 I believe) and I originally had v12 on there without issue but when I "upgraded" to v13 that is when I would get intermittent issues. Could be just a driver issue with USB ports or something to that sort. Remember these are technically "cracked" versions of TIS Techstream, so support for stuff like that goes out the window when some changes are made to allow for the system to run on a commercially available (retail) computer.

I had an old Win 7 64 bit laptop along with this cable OBD2 . The instructions were less than clear as it looked to be translated from chinese, but it worked fine. It came in very handy for coding keys and tracking down issues. The interface is antiquated and takes some time to get the hang of, but worth it. Use it on my tundra and LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom