Tearing down my HJ47 troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've begun the tear down on my 1981 Troopy. My intent is to take apart as much of the body as I can and have my local resto shop media blast it and fix all the rust, and there is some rust. The first issue was where to put the roof while I'm working on it. I'll post up as many pics as I can while I'm in the process.
Any tips from the members will be appreciated.
ihone pics 2 004.jpg
iphone pics 1 055.jpg
iphone pics 1 061.jpg

More pics of the troopy

More shots of the tear down.
iphone pics 1 058.jpg
iphone pics 1 062.jpg
iphone pics 1 063.jpg

Pop the doors off and go for a spin like that - I don't think I've ever seen someone driving a topless Troopy!

topless troopy

not to hi-jack but. . .

been driving like this for 2 weeks now - and i totally recommend it. It's still fun at 5 am on my way to my morning swim.

MORE PICS OF THE TROOPY gswest! what are your plans? total resto?
185661_608060155646_23501270_34369591_882845_n.jpg

Seatbelts?

I want to drive around without the top because it feels so weird being open. But, my seatbelt connection is on the side panel that's missing. I aint driving this thing without a seatbelt. Call me a sissy. I like having my head connected to my body, I'm funny that way.

Dukface?

I see your widshield in the down position. Mine looks like the windshield wiper motor will hit if I lower it. The hinges are there but it just looks like it won't sit flat because of that wiper motor.

Thanks Alan,
I'm not going to try and do the more serious body repairs, but I will get pictures and show the progress. This website has been great for me and I want to help anyone trying to do similar stuff to their trucks.

Dukface,
Are you really driving around with no top and sides? It looks great! How about seatbelts?

Last edited:
Pop the doors off and go for a spin like that - I don't think I've ever seen someone driving a topless Troopy!

nothing like a topless troopy!

The best is with a full soccer team of 12 year old girls back there going to icecream on a warm summer evening with the stereo cranked and the kids wooohooing at everyone and everything they see.

this was for a parade with a light complement of kids...
state fair parade troopy (Small).jpg

The windshield motor doesn't hit - the windscreen was made for being folded down! The only dilema is the wiring to the motor is stretched to its limit, I'm planning on splicing quick connects so I don't damage the wiring.

As far as seatbelt, I took the lap belt from the center seat and mounted it on the base for the drivers side - clips into the passenger seatbelt bit and I'm doing 110 on the highway!

I want to put people in the back, but with no seatbelts or a tailgate I'm a little nervous. I'll have to think about some half doors . . .:hmm: it's just so easy to get out of the troopy when I'm stopped! Actually left it running while I ran in for a donut and coffee yesterday morning (who's gunna steal a blue troopy with a RHD and stick!) Also left the keys in the ignition when i went shopping by mistake - same frame of mind.

Good luck with the tear down, I find disassembly is easy, the hard part is putting it back together!

I'm all in now

Next is the doors, hood and windshield.
ipone 3 002.jpg
ipone 3 003.jpg
ipone 3 001.jpg

The reassembly won't be as easy, I know!

More destruction

I'm down to removing the doors and taking the dash apart. The doors look like a pain because of the seals and rubber gaskets.
iphone 4 001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom