Teach me Diesel....Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Want to do a conversion for my 1985 FJ-60. Great body, super clean interior, Tired motor. Soooo here come the questions.............

HJ Questions
Are HJs all 24v? radio, lights etc? or is it just the running comp. (if so this sounds like a hastle here in the states.
The doner HJ I have lined up is auto...what cruiser 4/5 spd will mate up to it?
Do motor mounts have to be changed from 2F to 2H?

BJ Questions
Will a gas H55F mount to a BJ 3B motor?
What do turbos run for a 3B?
Do motor mounts have to be changed from 2F to 3B?

There quite a few threads on this.
Doing a search will result is a lot of the answers.

In the Faq sticky there is some transplant threads:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42415

Personally I would go the turbo 3B route.
I will try and answer your 3B questions:

1: I am not sure if the H55F is the same as the H55 as I know it.
But my BJ60 had a H55. So there will be a H55 that will mount up. I am not sure the the H55 mounts upto a 2H.

2: A store bought turbo kit will run about $3500. But something tells me your a DIY kinda guy. :) A homebrew turbo with rebuild will run about $1000. I would also recommend a pyro and boost guage. (About $250 for both) Lots of threads on turboing a 3B as well as pyro and boost guage. A garret tubro is a easy mate. Brownbear has a good thread on this. Other options are a Chrysler Labaron turbo (plymoth laser), Eagle Talon, Volvo wagon. A turbo meant for about a 2.2 - 2.6 liter gasser is good for the 3B. Lots of threads on this too.

3: Yes mounts will have to be changed. The 2F is longer than the 3B.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
All Canadian HJ60's are 24v so yes, that is a hassle. In Central America the HJ60's are 12v. The tranny's that bolt to an "F" series gas engine will also bolt to an "H" series diesel engine so your tranny should not be a problem. I do not know about the "H" motor mounts, sorry.

The "B" series diesel engines do NOT mate to the gas tranny's without swapping out the tranny input shaft (doable but not easy 'cause the trannys don't dis-assemble easily, don't ask how I know). Most all Canadian trucks of model year '83 and newer have the H55 anyways. Nick's guesstimate on the turbo is pretty good. You can use other turbo's for a DIY application too. Motor mounts for the "F" series and "B" series are NOT the same, you WILL need to move them as well as change the angles.

I'm with nickw on the 3B route although I'd probably go with a 13B-T if you're going turbo anyways unless you get a good deal on a rusty BJ60.

I've swapped out a 2f for a 3B with an h55f... mounts do need to move a few inches... I'm working on a turbo project based from a CT26 Toyota MR2 turbo... got it for about $100... new 13BT manifold runs about $500... various other lines... say another $200... should run me about $800 to turbo the 3B... I'm here in Seattle if you want to check it out.

fe sus said:
I've swapped out a 2f for a 3B with an h55f... mounts do need to move a few inches... I'm working on a turbo project based from a CT26 Toyota MR2 turbo... got it for about $100... new 13BT manifold runs about $500... various other lines... say another $200... should run me about $800 to turbo the 3B... I'm here in Seattle if you want to check it out.

fe sus:

I think I a CT-26 turbo is to big for a 3B.
Thats what my 1HD-T came stock with.
I think there would be to much lag off the line, as well as you would need to be at higher revs for it to work.

Mine does not start boosting until 1400-1500 rpm (3psi) and usually only gets to full boost when I am at 2000+ rpm (12psi). So something tells me your 3B would probably have to be around 2500rpm to get your boost up to 10-12psi.
I would think you would want to be able to hit full boost buy a few hundred RPM's below your cruising speed. Then when your in a hill, and your rpm's start dropping you will still have enough exhaust to reach (and keep) full boost.

So I imagine you would want full boost available from 2000rpm+ up (and not 2500rpm + or -)
The CT26 is probably 50% bigger than the AXT on cruiser_guy's 3B.
You might want to sell the CT26 and go for something smaller IMHO.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
"All Canadian HJ60's are 24v"
That is incorrect.
In fact, almost all Canadian LC are 12 volt.
There are two batteries, but they are in parallel [12v] not series [24v]

ALL canadian HJ60s ARE 24V.
all Canadian BJ60s ARE 12V
both run 2 batteries, the 12V are in parrallel and the 24V in series.
1985 BJ70 was 12V 86 and 87 are 24V...

cheers

John...tother way around ...

Add to that all Cdn BJ40's and BJ42's on the 24V side.

It is much easier to say what Cdn diesel Cruisers are not 24V

1985 BJ70 only
1981-85 BJ60 only

Both of which are 12V, two batteries in parallel.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Ya but is the whole system 24v? Radio, lights, everything? or just the running components? IE/ starter etc...?

In2cruisers said:
Ya but is the whole system 24v? Radio, lights, everything? or just the running components? IE/ starter etc...?

I beleive it is all 24v with the possible exception of the headlights which would be one off each battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom