teach me about turbos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been talking to some people close to home, none of them are fans of turbos, they seem to think when they crap out you wish you never had one.

i dont know how long they will last before i will have troble with it, any idea?

they also said the engine ive got isnt made for a turbo and it would crap it out, but lots of the boys on here are running them, what do you think?

do you think the "pros out weigh the cons?"

thanks for your help

ive got a 3b. 3.4L D

i want a power gain and dont have much money to play with.
is turbo the only way to go?

make sure the engine is still healthy

I have heard from gas fans that new turbos are installed on healthy engines. The bj60 loves turbos and heard the fuel economy goes up with a turbo but not sure how much. You need to buy a pyrometer and have it installed so to monitor the exaust temp so not to exceed the maximum temp allowed for the engine. I am not sure of the type of oil needed for this engine or if regular diesel oil is recomended. If buying a used turbo a few things need to be checked. Check the exaust port for evidence of oil leaving the turbo. That would mean a reject of the turbo unless you want it rebuilt. Check the turbo for excessive axial play and push the impeller to all sides and spin it. If it is rubbing against the housing reject the turbo and dont consider it for a rebuild.

Last edited:
the 3B is a little underpowered to really enjoy it (or a lot underpowered depnding who you talk to), although very reliable when maintained. I think everyone who adds a turbo to this motor will reccomend doing it, including me. Although it is 1 more thing that can fall apart, a turbo really wakes up the 3B, and is one of the best mods you can do, many of us use a Merkur turbo off of a ford, or a mitsubishi turbo (forget the model someone will post it) ora lebaron turbo, and this can be manufactured and added fairly easily, the 3B is capable of handling the extra power. And once you get a turbo on you can get about as much power again by turning up your fuel to match. There are a few companies that make or sell turbo kits for your cruiser and you can find what you like by searching the diesel section.

If you do have money to spend, you might consider upgrading to one of the 3B's older brothers: 13B-T, 14B, 15B-T. If a motor has a -T in it, it means it has a turbo, theses motors are basically a 3B with more displacement and upgraded internals.

been talking to some people close to home, none of them are fans of turbos, they seem to think when they crap out you wish you never had one.

i dont know how long they will last before i will have troble with it, any idea?

they also said the engine ive got isnt made for a turbo and it would crap it out, but lots of the boys on here are running them, what do you think?

do you think the "pros out weigh the cons?"

thanks for your help

ive got a 3b. 3.4L D

i want a power gain and dont have much money to play with.
is turbo the only way to go?
\

You need to install a pyrometer which measures the exhaust gas temperature.
When its gets to a certain temp it is time to ease off the pedal.
Turbos usually have along life span,maybe some of the people you spoke to fitted used turbo's that were worn out when they started or too small for the job.

A 3B is an ideal engine to install a turbo on. It has things like piston skirt cooling which are generally only found on turbo engines.

thats very ture, the people i spoke to dont have turbos, but they are the only people i know that wheel.

so this board is a hugh help!

just roughly what am i looking at to get it all up and going(money wise)?

any more input would be great, thanks again

IMOP Canadian dollars(similar to USD and OZ, smack in the middle)

DIY with used turbo and 13b-t manifold.....min 1000

Kit from a company desgined for the engine.......3500 ish.

New turbo built for 3B, you make the kit and install on 13b-t manifold....1500

If you are going to fit the turbo I suggest that you get it dyno tuned after....this is the only way to get the most out of the turbo.......otherwise it is pointles fitting it..........you will possibly use more fuel without it tuned....money well spent.....I have one to fit to my 2B off a 1KZ 3ltr. Cost $0.00 warrenty claim on the intercooler....just have to make a manifold

a turbo should last the life of the block , the people who dont like turbos are people that have no ....in clue ! tha either bought junk, or bought a larger turbo that takes forever to spool up and boggs or improper idle down methods for turbo cooling
aaron
ps i own 4 vehicles that are force fed "turboed" a combination of 1 million kms
no troubles because of proper care and mobil 1 delvac synthetic oil

the more i read the more i like the sound of it.

im heading into a shop in town on the weekend and see what they have to say.

im trying to save for a house at the moment so maybe this has to take the back foot, it may be a bit more pricey than i first thought. we'll see

i spent about $200 on my merkut turbo(ebay), about $160 on pyrometer, $50 on boost gauge, $50 on nickel iron weld rod (to weld on exhaust manifold) got stainless tubing from work (free) for oil lines, and some aluminum pipe for intake (also nabbed @ work). And then spent about $200 on upgrading my exhaust which i didnt really need to do.

so the turbo can be done on a budget if your resourceful and have access to metal, and tools.

finaly the turbo diesel engines are the next step in performace .. nothing that you can doo without a turbo it's compared to place one and boots 10 PSI .. ! :D

Dyno tuned?

Hey guys, what does dyno tuning the turbo mean? How do you do it?

Sorry! Im lost with that.

Hey I use the cheap method .. take a ride test .. not fine .. back to the garage .. tune it again and other ride test .. it's pretty funny :D

So is this dyno some kind of machine you connect to your injection pump?

no its the kind you see on Horsepower TV that the guys put the rear wheels over and power out showing what HP/Torque they get.

Then the tuner sets your max boost/fuel to limit boost to normal number and dial the fuel to a max allowable EGT. Thus you get the best HP fuel economy....in theory.

So is this dyno some kind of machine you connect to your injection pump?

In addition to what Brownbear says, the key component is a set of rollers which your drive wheels run on. If you have emmissions testing where you live, it is the same thing, except a dyno tuner measures Hp & Torque. Many Dyno tuners also have the emmision meters to also make sure you get the best HP & Torque and also pass emmissions testing. If you advance the IP timing too much you will also get overfueling which will make getting past the emmission police a lot harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom