TD04 Vs. TD05 for 3B in BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 89 BJ73 with with a 3Bii NA engine. I'm going to turbo the engine. I will be fabricating/sourcing everything myself. I'm searching various turbos people have recommended on the forum. Garret T25's or M24. Toyota C26 (which is stock for 13BT, but people say is a bit large/laggy). One thread on the forum stated TD04's worked well, but suggested a TD05 16G was better.................TD04's and TD05 16G are both inexpensive on Ebay(less than $150) anyone have any experience on these 2 turbos on a 3B?
I am also considering trying to bolt onto the bottom of the stock NA manifold, or fabricate my own manifold. Anyone ever bolted a turbo to the bottom of the stock NA manifold?

TD04 Might be a pretty good match but I think there are quite a few variations. The one I've heard about matching close for a 3B = TD04L-13T
Garrett GT2025 should be on the list as well. Quite a few people are using these on 3B conversions with good look and it appears the size it correct.

@Diesel42 has a turbo kit for the 3B with lots of great reviews.

THe CT26 on the 13BT is too big imo. I just had mine rebuilt, and honestly wish I would have looked into different mods/smaller . The CT26 on the 13BT uses the 12HT housing which is too big for that size engine according to some turbo builders that I've talked with.

13BT CT26 8cm housing = A/R .64

2 separate land cruiser/turbo builders said 7cm housing CT26 = A/R .49 and upgraded billet wheel made a huge difference on the 13BT.

GT2052 .52 trim
TD04L-13T 6cm = .41 trim
CT-26 7cm = .49 trim

Something in that range should work good.

I've only heard good things about the TD04L-13T-6 on the 3B. I've seen one setup in person and talked to a few owners; they were all very happy. These turbos can be had off the Subaru WRX. I have one sitting on my work bench at home that I've been meaning to try on my 2LTE - might be a touch large on that motor, but actually has a smaller turbine than my factory CT20A; so couldn't be that bad.... Compressor is the same size.

@gerg

Thank you all for the replies. I'm seeing recommendations for the TD04 and not for the TD05. I started this same thread in the diesel section per Onur's suggestion.

Haven’t read much on gturbo specifically for the 13bt but I’ve read up on the green wheel. This may be a nice option. I may be getting one sooner than later due to the nice exchange rates.

Long time no see Alika!

From munro racing out of australia:
This is an Upgrade to the Toyota 13bt Ct26 Turbo to increase efficiency and flow with quicker spool.
The turbo was fitted from Toyota back in 1985 being too large for a 3.5 ltr 4 cyl deisel. Generally suited for a 4.0 ltr 6cly so mostly a laggy setup.
Working with what we have I changed the stock 8cm Turbine housing to a 7cm and fitted a much more efficient and reliable with more flow Billet compressor wheel and ported Turbine housing and Adjustable actuator set with higher pressure.
Brings this up to something closer to how it should be.

This was an email exchange we had:

The 13bt ct26 use a large 12ht turbine housing which is too large for a 4 cylinder diesel engine. I fit a small A/R turbine housing along with an upgraded billet comp wheel and other tricks which dramatically improve responce and less laggy. Although the heat sheild needs to be redrilled to mount back on.
20 psi is ok with the upgrade billet compressor wheel although if you want to go over 25psi it will need a larger high flow compressor wheel.
Although unless the engine and fuel system is built for it that will be risky.
Price for this upgrade is $1440 Aud$.
Also can do exchange if yours is stock and genuine toyota or yours can be done. I will need a zip code for freight cost from Brisbane, Australia
munro racing turbochargers

Also Wink4x4 does some great mods on the 12HT turbo's, says he has a great mod for the 13BT as well, shares the sentiment that the current CT26 isn't the best match for the 13BT.

from Remy:
Ye, we have! The 13BT engine is quite rare here, but however it is
been done to put a wink turbocharger on one of them. I've developed a
wheel to suit the 13BT quite nice and can make a lot of power
depending on the tune.

Regards Remy
Wink 4x4 - Engineered Performance

Also found this:
Lets you bolt a Garrett GT2052 to the manifold
CustomFabShop.com | Custom Automotive Fabrication

Thankyou all for your replies and advice. TD04L-13T-6 is on the way. If I can fit it on the bottom of the manifold with a adapter plate I will. If not I'll fabricate a manifold. Any good advice on the Oil pressure lines and oil return? Seems like I saw a picture of locations on the oil filter mount(as if the supply port and return are already there just blocked off with bolts. I know I could put a return line into the oil pan, but rather just remove a bolt if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom