Tcase top Hi-Lo Shift lever clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaleAle

MUD-aholic
SILVER Star
Threads
I've run across a problem I can't find much about in the Tech forum. I just put the tub back on my 71 FJ40 and have discovered a clearance problem with the Hi-Lo shifter on top of the tcase. I have the 3-speed tcase mounted to a 4-speed tranny so it sits about 3 inches rearward of the stock position. This positions the top lever so it hits the cross brace under the passenger floorboard. It doesn't look like I can bend the brace where it contacts the top of the lever without seriously bending the floorboard. I've looked for ways to "adjust" the height of the tranny/tcase but the engine mount on that side is cranked all the way down and I have a brand new body mount kit installed. Anyone solved this problem without taking a cutting wheel to the brace? :confused:

Thanks for your help.

Jon

I swapped a 4-speed tranny in place of the 3-speed tranny. The 4 -speed is 3-4 inches longer thus the tcase is farther back. The stock crossmember has not been modified.

I spent a day or so looking at that little brace myself. It was way more cost effective to take a cut off wheel and remove the 3" wide slice then to redo the whole mounting system. Removing that much really is not going to make a difference unless you are doin a reasto.

?.... Removing that much really is not going to make a difference unless you are doin a reasto.

Thanks. I'm doing a frame off resto-build and hate the thought of taking the cutoff wheel to the restored tub.:bang:

Anyone got any bright ideas?:idea:

Running this setup in my 68 with no problems. But I installed some fender washers under my front motor mounts. This moved the transmission and transfer down a little. I also used a later transmission cover since they are taller. I had the original cover at first but switched since the four speed is taller. I didn't cut my tub or frame at all for the four speed switch.

Old Warren out rear motor mounts (thinner) helps I also dimpled the reinforcement brace with a ball pen hammer per Mark A

Old Warren out rear motor mounts (thinner) helps I also dimpled the reinforcement brace with a ball pen hammer per Mark A

Probably a better idea. I have never had a problem with the fan hitting the guard but that is something you have to watch out for when raising the front mounts. It has been seventeen years since I installed the four speed so I can't remember if I dimpled the reinforcememt brace or not.:meh: I may have just bend the hi low shifter down a little for extra clearance.

Thanks guys! I used the worn motor mounts because the rubber was still good so I can't get much more out of them. I was a little unsure about raising the front because I've gone to the nylon fan and it looks slightly larger to me, so I think the fan shroud will be tight.

I'll look at bending the lever, although my buddy says it appears to him to be rubbing on the top of the pivot, not so much on the lever. I'll have to stand on my head or borrow my wife's hand mirror and try to get a look see along the underside of the floorboard through the tranny hump hole to see what is really going on.

It turns out, my buddy's 71 has the same problem which solves the puzzle as to why it's hard to shift on occassion (like when my fat *** is sitting in the passenger seat). I did notice last time we were out that he was able to shift it after I hopped out of the truck to take a look underneath, but I didn't connect the dots at the time.

I don't think I've ever seen a body lift on a 40. Raising the bib and fenders to match the cowl would sure be a pain.

I once talked to Mark A about doing a small lift (correction its more like 3/8" see POST #13) or so body lift,on a 4 speed conversion he said he has done this before, that might be a better option ...Becouse when you drop the transfer case down 3/4" to 1" you also have to lower the skid plate the same.

But If I add 1" to my rig It would not fit into my garage :doh:

Last edited:
AHHH.... What ...No !!! :eek:

I love my Transfercase shifter in the center of my dash !

The high low lever is in the same place anyway, and the early tranny tunnels are very close to the top of the 4 speed my truck actually rubbed the top of the tunnel driving off road untill I shortened the rear motor mounts :D

So modifying to a later (taller) tranny tunnel cover my work too.

Since you brought this up I have been contemplating a body lift for while.

I went yesterday and re visited my 66 3 to 4 speed conversion I ended up giving the 40 a 3/8" body lift by adding three-1/8" washers under the aftermarket Polyurethane body mounts and longer bolts went to 150mm long 10mm bolts lifting the running boards with washers as well, with both fenders unbolted from the frame only, the front bib and fenders was simply raised by adding a 3/8" rubber shim under the OEM 1/4" shim after the bib was raised leaving the fenders in place bolted to the front bib and the body and running boards I drilled new holes into the fender braces and re bolted.

The motor mounts re installed to full hight I now have about 1/4" clearance top of the four speed and more than enough room for the high low shifter linkage as before it was very close.
Now the skid plate fits up to the frame now as before I used 3/4" spacers to clear the transfer case

I also realigned the hood witch ended up fitting much better than before for some reason :hmm:

Totol cost $15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom