Tcase tap and plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all,
I’m starting the t-case rebuild for my 5speed swap, I think I’ve gotten everything squared away except for the tap and plug for the extra hole. I’ve looked but haven’t been able to find much, is there a specific plug and tap size everyone uses or is it kind of a find what works situation. Lastly do I tap it from the side inside the tcase or the side that faces the transmission or does that not matter? Thanks for all the help!

Look up @matressking and his recent posting just this past week sometime. He just did it and listed Toyota part numbers for what he used.

IIRCC I used 1/2"NPT and went from the transfer side as that was the way the bolt would have been installed.

Brass NPT works fine

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Going to see if my local Toyota shop has or can get one of those plugs when they open tomorrow, I like the idea of a Toyota plug. Does the type of locktite matter? Since it’s sitting in oil all the time was wondering if it’ll dissolve it

Going to see if my local Toyota shop has or can get one of those plugs when they open tomorrow, I like the idea of a Toyota plug. Does the type of locktite matter? Since it’s sitting in oil all the time was wondering if it’ll dissolve it

loctite 518 or just grab a tube at Toyota. It’s a little pricey. Honestly anything that can deal trans/Diffs.

they won’t have the plug in stock, usually a day depending on your proximity to a warehouse with it in stock

loctite 518 or just grab a tube at Toyota. It’s a little pricey. Honestly anything that can deal trans/Diffs.

they won’t have the plug in stock, usually a day depending on your proximity to a warehouse with it in stock

thanks! I figured they wouldn’t stock them, was going to just order one online but they want 12$shipping on a 2 dollar part. Appreciate the help!

12mmx1.25 bolt fits in there perfect, and the bolt and plug were already in my tool box. If memory serves me right I didn't even have to drill it, just tap. I did cut or grind the bolt down so it wouldn't protrude to the other side. Also I used some hondabond sealant on the threads more so just like a threadlocker.

The dealership didn’t have the part and said it was back ordered a week.
@roma042987 thanks for the info, I’ll look and see if I have a bolt that size.

The dealership didn’t have the part and said it was back ordered a week.
@roma042987 thanks for the info, I’ll look and see if I have a bolt that size.

If you don't just pick up an oil drain plug at any auto parts store. It'll be correct length and its a common thread size for Japanese vehicles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom