1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tcase seal install - big socket/driver???

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by 2rivers, Feb 26, 2007.

1. 2rivers

2rivers

What does a guy use as a seal driver to put this in to the tcase (replacing front output shaft seal)? Biggest socket I got is 2" I thin kI need 2 1/4" I really dont want to buy just this 1 socket for this job. Any ideas on common household item - a soup can alsmost seems to have near right diam just too flimsy. Space is limited for a hammer/wood block tap-tap method especially at the top.

Thanks,
    Johnny

2. mtb_rider

mtb_rider

Just go to the hardware store and get a large fender washer in the size you need. It wouldn't be more than just a few bucks, if that, and use a drift or any type of shaft or bar to drive it.

3. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

If he is talking about the seal on the t-case input, it would take the biggest fender washer ever made!

I just used a brass drift and drove it in slowly and carefully.

4. 2rivers

2rivers

No fender washer gonna work. Like you said Andrew guess i'll try and tap it in with a drift.
    Cheers

5. mtb_rider

mtb_rider

Just a suggestion. I have a big azz washer at work for installing seals in outdrives and works great. But it is a big one and I don't even know where I acquired it.