TCase cross member on FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. So this seem like a silly question to ask. But does the stock drivetrain in a 78’ have a transfer case cross member? I know when a v8 conversation is done the rear frame cross member needs to be removed and AA has a tcase cross member for that application.

Follow up on the above. I just pulled my body off on my 78’ 40 with a Orion tcase and there is no tcase support cross member. Is this correct??

Correct. Supported by engine and transmission mounts. T-case hangs free off the end of the transmission.

No crossmember on the 40 series prior to 8/80 except for the BJ40. Stock engine on F and H engine rear motor mounts would be on the bellhousing. 8/80 crossmember bolt to the transmission. V8 conversions used a rear motor mount that bolted to the back of the transfer case.

Chevota rear motor mount gee whiz information: The Landcriuser transfer case is a "side thruster", power enters the transfer case and makes an immediate 90 degree turn, this makes the transfer case want to spin around in a circle behind the transmission. Back in the day when guys were using Chevy bellhousings on their Chevota conversions the torque twisting was cracking Chevy bellhousings because they had only about a 3/16" wall thinness compared to Toyota's 3/8"
wall thickness. This situation cleared up after (a) 4 speed transmissions got their own crossmember (protecting the Chevy bellhousing), and (b) Downey and AA made their own adapter bellhousings (which were much thicker and stronger than the stock Chevy bellhousings). Soooooo the moral of this story is; if you are doing a 3 speed or early 4 speed Chevota conversion using an adapter plate with a stock Chevy bellhousing, then buy a "new" rear motor mount crossmember for the back side of your transfer case from AA, or a "remanufactured" rear mount from my ebay store- - -easy deal.

. . . I know when a v8 conversation is done the rear frame cross member needs to be removed and AA has a tcase cross member for that application.

Not entirely true. Not all V8 conversion require the rear frame cross member to be removed, it all depends on what components are used in the conversion. It also depends on engine position during the conversion. You need to do more research with regard to the components you intend to use before simply removing the cross member needlessly.

All good stuff. Thanks guys. Downey!! I remember your products and company. Always good to read your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom