TC Trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We got about 3 inches of snow last night so I took my 1986 FJ60 "mobile hunting blind" for a trip around the sagebrush hills. Much to my dismay, the thing comes out of gear in 4WD low range. You can feel the gears hitting each other. I does it when it is being put under heavy load such as pulling a hill and spinning the tires. I suspect that this is not good based on what the FSM says about "TC faulty" in regard to this symptom. Could the garage have set the linkage wrong when they pulled the transmission to flip the clutch plate over (my last big trouble..another story)?
What are my options? After reading the FSM, I don't think I want to tackle the teardown/rebuild of the TC. Too many special service tools and specialized equipment. What would it cost to have the TC rebuilt? What about a used one? Would I just be buying somebody else's trouble?

Search on transfer case for a thread that talks about this very subject. Hopefully the spring that hold the in the detents on the Low/high shift rod is faulty real easy to fix!

Sometimes the rubber boot can keep the transfer case from fully engaging. I had a problem with my transfer case popping out/not engaging in 4WD--I noticed it when I was in low range. I loosened the bracket that provides the shift gates and pushed it further back (towards the rear of the truck). Some people modify the bracket so they can operate in low range in either 4WD or 2WD, so the transfer case should stay in without the bracket. I think I must have been pushing the shift lever forward as I was pushing it right to get it into low range. Another on-vehicle check is to confirm the ball-detent is working.

I've taken the t-case apart to reseal it without any specail tools. I used a piece of channel with holes drilled in to to hold the pinion flanges when removing/tighting the stake nuts, but otherwise I just used common tools. However, I didn't press gears or bearings off of shafts, etc.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42880&highlight=mars

Sounds identical to my problem. Easy fix, took me 10 minutes. My spring was just plum wore out, and wasn't pushing the bearing against the shaft with enough pressure to keep it from spinning out of gear. I just threw in some washers for a temporary fix until the new spring arrives. Worked like a charm.

Good luck!

Marsh :cheers: :cheers:

i pulled the inner TC shift boot out and cut it down a little bit and it fixed the problem. seemed like it was hardened and wouldn't let the shifter stay in place and would snap back out of 4WL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom