TC swaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son snapped the pinnion on my 80 bj40 with a 3b and 4spd , the driveline jammed and split the TC. What I have here to fix it is a 78 4spd with TC (2F eng) and a 63 TC, After searching I think that I can swap the 4spd & TC if I change out the Trans input shaft, or switch out the 78 TC onto the 80 trans or use the 63 3spd transfer case and switch out the gears.

Am I Correct with these thoughts and which is the easiest and best way ? Is the 63 Case weaker IRC the early ones were ok.

I am assuming that the 80bj40 should have 4.11s and will be the same fine spine as the rearend I have out of a 78 FJ55.

He claims that he was just pulling ino a gas station, I would be willing to bet he was trying to spin the 35s with a turbo'd
3B !!!!!

Thanks Myrle

Last edited:
I thought you have the H42 tranny in both 80 and 78 and the share the same splitcase .. BF1A

I'm not sure about the spline count from 78 and 3 speed tranny and old little single t-case ..

break his knuckles!

mallred said:
Am I Correct with these thoughts and which is the easiest and best way ? Is the 63 Case weaker IRC the early ones were ok.

The early cases are known to be a little bit more brittle..

I certainly wouldn't swap one in. If you were going to the trouble of swaping cases I'd put a split case in there...

Tapage said:
I thought you have the H42 tranny in both 80 and 78 and the share the same splitcase .. BF1A

I'm not sure about the spline count from 78 and 3 speed tranny and old little single t-case ..

What I have found you are correct. 75 to 8/80 were the same cases w/ Ebrake on the back side..

They reason I asked about the 63 case (case only) is that for some reason I was thinking the weak ones were mid 60s to 1974 and I tought maybe I could use this one. I will just swap out the 78 working case for now and deal with the rest of this later.

One good thing avbout this is I now have a winch on the flatbed trailer that I have been putting off for months.

Myrle

Hi All:

Yes, you can use the H42 tranny and the t-case from the FJ40 if you change-out the input shaft to the one that is in the H42 that came in the BJ40.

You might consider looking for a later model H42 with the newer "split type" t-case from a 1981 or 82 BJ42. the "split type t-case is considerably stronger than the older one-piece t-cases.

Good luck!

Alan
Seattle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom