TC 'Oil Transfer' fix w/pics! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've got another Desert trip this weekend so I better take care of this....

Well besides the fact that my Transfer Case is running dry I can't stand the smell of hot 90 weight when I'm playing in the sand. This is by far the easiest "repair" I've done yet.

I know Man-a-fre sells a kit for this but it's pretty simple to DIY.

Parts involved:

2 new drain/fill plugs from Toyota
2 new plug washers
2 new brass 1/8" pipe male thread to 3/8" hose nipple
Teflon Tape or liquid pipe sealant
1/8" pipe thread tap
3/8" fuel or trans cooler hose(I got 2 feet to be safe)
2 hose clamps

I got the new plugs so I could do everything on my bench before crawling under to do this.
If I was gonna do this again I would use 1/4" pipe thread fittings instead of 1/8" only for the bigger hole on the inside to promote better oil flow.

Drill out the plugs from the backside, they're hollow and make an excellent drill guide. Tap the holes from the front side.
Remove the old plugs, let the trans drain, refill the transfer(mine always seems to take 3-4 pints)
Put the new plugs in without the brass fittings 'cause you'll need to set the drain/fill angle of the fitting.
Screw in the fittings and adjust the angle for good drainage, cut the hose to length and clamp on. DONE!

From underneath:

From the rear:

How cool is that? :cheers:

Did that last August right before a family roadtrip (how long will a transfer case last when you it dry?)... I went the Man-a-Fre route though. One thing I do like about their fixit kit is that you can take the fittings off without wrestling the hoses off when checking your oil, might save a bloddy knuckle or two.
I agree that the bigger diameter would be better, let us know how yours works...

nial

sorry for the stupid question but what exatcly does this do? Does it just prevent the TC from going dry or something?

Quick fix or fixed for good.

Is this a quick fix or is this a fix for good.

Josh kern
TlCA #5216
84 fj60
71 fj40 in parts

I think it is a semi-long term fix until you need to rebuild the transfer case and transmission. The seal goes between the transmission and t-case and causes the t-case to push oil out and overfill the tranny. With the hose on, the oil drains back to the t-case once it gets to the fill plug on the transmission.

excellent report!

This is the kind of stuff that should go in the tech section! Pictures, procedures and parts!

NocalFJ60 said:
Sweet. Nice writeup with pics...

Thanks Kevin

jmkfj60 said:
Is this a quick fix or is this a fix for good.

Josh kern
TlCA #5216
84 fj60
71 fj40 in parts

This is a good temporary quick fix 'til I get my other Tcase

Heartworm said:
This is the kind of stuff that should go in the tech section! Pictures, procedures and parts!

I agree HW but I don't know how. I'll have other stuff like this that I'll want to share

Excellent job and writeup! I now have a project for this weekend....

:cheers: :cheers:

Mars said:

Nice. I have the same problem with our 1982 FJ60. Going to buy that kit also.

Hey Mars, where in San Diego are you? I am up in Leucadia and have a red 60 also.

Bob

1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1982 FJ60 "Clifford"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

I jsut did the 1/8" pipe trick yesterday, I used the orginal plugs and a street L and barbed fittings, ran around $10 for all the parts at ACE hardware, It would be easy enough to put a union in the line if I wanted so that I would not have to cut the line to check the oil levels but I was thinking that if I left the line a few inches longer and cut when checking it I could buy quite a few new lines for the cost savings. With no extenral leak I will probally more of a change than a check.

Myrle

When I did this to my '82, I used 3/8" bendable copper line with brass ferrule compression fiittings on the ends. Loosening the compression fitting made it easy to check the oil level.

Ponto?

I own a camel FJ and live in Carlsbad.

I was having some transfer case leakage in and around the transfer case and am curious about how successful this project is at detering this?

:beer:

Ponto?

I own a camel FJ and live in Carlsbad.

I was having some transfer case leakage in and around the transfer case and am curious about how successful this project is at detering this?

:beer:

This wont help you at all. It works when the internal seal between the G/box and T/case fails and oil migrates up hill to the gearbox and it can run back downhill through the hose which is plugged into the filler plug holes.

It will not work if the oil goes downhill from the g/box to the t/case either.

I think they are a good idea to run them as a precaution BEFORE something goes wrong.

trans/gearbox oil seal

Sorry to inform you Rosco but it worked just fine 4 me
I had a free flow of oil from g/box to transfer and out the plug hole on transfer case when filling g/box if both plugs were removed whilst filling gearbox.
I filled the transfer case to plug plug hole level and screwed in the plug with hose attached then filled gearbox and then screwed plug in with other end of hose attached.
Then when for a thrash down the freeway for an hour both ways
No more noise from transmission or transfer area.
Done a bunch of driving since hard 4x4 stuff no dramas.
checked oil levels after a few weeks and seems all fine.
Conclussion..........same oil in both units, any pressure from over filling is releived by hose, levels are maintained, oil just goes round and round like a good woman.

Why not use a clear tube?
Then you can see the oil level. Don't know the 'hot' oil temp of the trans/transfer. You's have to ensure the clear tubing withstood that temp.

Or could you use the high temp black tube with a sight glass clamped into the middle?

I also have a leak between the transmission and transfercase. Everyone says that in their case the oil flows foward and overfills the transmission. In my case my transmission loses oil and the transfercase gets overfilled.
My question is that if I install this tube between the two fill plugs will the leak still exist between the trans/transfercase? If yes then the seal still has to be fixed. On my Land Cruiser it leaks so much that it leaves a puddle of gear oil whenever I park anywhere.
Another question. How does the oil migrate from transmission to transfercase or vise-versa??

I also have a leak between the transmission and transfercase. Everyone says that in their case the oil flows foward and overfills the transmission. In my case my transmission loses oil and the transfercase gets overfilled.
My question is that if I install this tube between the two fill plugs will the leak still exist between the trans/transfercase? If yes then the seal still has to be fixed. On my Land Cruiser it leaks so much that it leaves a puddle of gear oil whenever I park anywhere.
Another question. How does the oil migrate from transmission to transfercase or vise-versa??

if the leak is coming between the tcase and tranny, then your problem might be a blown seal AND blown gastket.

the oil migrates via the seal where the tranny output shaft comes into the transfer.

i dont know if a blown seal would cause a leak unless the gasket insnt holding

there is an oil galley with a paper gasket between the trans and tcase front plate. the oil seal is inbeded on the inseide of the tcase front plate

where exactly is the leak coming from? this is the order front to back

trans | gasket | tcase front plate | gasket | tcase back plate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom