TC heat? 80 experts please help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have had a strange noise in my truck that I have yet to be able to diagnose. I took my truck for a 65+mile trip today and it was 85 degrees outside. I have pinpointed exactly when the noise happens. When I am on the gas things are nice and quiet but if I let off the gas, I get a stuttering gear noise, from the tranny/tc area. But as soon as I get back on the gas it goes away.

So as I was pulling into the street before my house I floored it and it felt and sounded like something was slipping. I immediately backed off the gas and everything seemed fine.

When I got home I crawled under the truck and the front driveshaft was noticeably hot to the touch and got hotter the closer I got to the TC. I can't imagine this is normal?

What could the stuttering noise be, and can slipping happen in the TC to make it hot enough to heat up the driveshafts?

The transmission fluid is still bright red, and the transmission pan and cooler didn't feel too hot.

Details:
Supercharged 2UZ-FE
2002 A343F transmission
1998 FZJ80 Transfercase

Thanks!!

Get a digital thermometer on it and get before and after temps.

These things get hot.

Was the sound the sound of driving over rumble strips?

If so you need to isolate. Pull front DS and hit center diff button and see if you can hear the sound. Do the same for the rear.

Last option, put rig up on jack stands, or a lift, get under it and have someone rev up the engine and see what happens then. Get a long dowel and pinpoint the sound.

NVH always transmits through the rig at different tones and oscillations.

Good luck.

Just to add more problems, I noticed I also snapped all of the hub studs on the right rear axle. Anyone want to come haul away a project vehicle! Ha!

Ryan
photo.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom