TBI wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased the Howell TBI wiring harness for the cruiser and think I have it mostly wired up......except the main ignition. The howell harness only requires one wire to be hooked up (with it's own fuses) to a key start ign source but the power cannot cut out when starting.

After researching, I'm guessing this keyed source would be the black with yellow stripe wire that also goes to the coil?

The other question is that my alternator needs an ignition source to "excite" the alternator besides the constant hot direct to battery for charging. Any idea on the color wire of the stock 40 harness to connect that to?

Last edited:
Correct on the first one (yellow and black), can't help you on the second one.:meh:

Your TBI computor needs two power sources, one from the battery (12 volts 24 hours a day), and the other from the ignition post on the ignition switch (which is the wire that goes to positive coil). Wiring your Alternator depends upon which alternator you have. Send me your mailing address and I'll send you our freebie V8 installation manual that explains all 3 types of GM Alternator wiring choices (or give me a fax number and I'll fax just the wiring page). Howell probably programmed out the circuit for VSS (claiming you don't need one). As soon as you find out that you do need one, PM me!!!

You are correct, I already have the orange connected to constant hot battery........and I am running a Vehicle Speed Sensor. More so because I'm also running a 700r4 and want the 4th gear lockup.......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom