TBI Conversion Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So do I need to Electronic Spark Control, I have been reading on pirate and many people don't even bother with it. If I don't use it what are the downsides?

If you go with stock distributor. it does not have vacuum advance? How are the guys on Pirate saying they are getting advance? The ESC controls that on the TBI setup you have? Unless say you bought or copied a Howell system that allows you to use a HEI style distributor? The knock sensor will have a plug on it that looks like a fuel injector. it is just basicaly a piezo magnet. I am trying to find all my diagrams to email them or PM them. They are stuck on a freaked out harddrive that has cluster issues...LOL

Well I want this thing to run as good as possible and I do not want to bypass anything that I shouldn't. The dizzy does not have vacuum advance...

Gonna take a break, starting to get confused on what I need and what i don't. Just realized the oil pressure sensor isn't even on my schematic.

It is daunting sometimes. Also I'd you look around there are several companies who make harnesses. And not hard to make a cool hei setup. Just have to create a pulse for the injectors. This can be done using a tach generator made by Mallory ignition. As far as the esc I will look I used to have a couple extras. They are cheap at most wrecking yards?

welp, having the correct diagram most likely would help... only thing is it adds more fun.

Still no oil pressure sensor
more vss stuff
elimination of the knock sensor module... which is nice but not sure why.

So now that I have the correct schematic my next question is, what to do with all the input from the auto tranny... just cut and cap?

Attachments

• Correct Schematic.pdf
    315.6 KB · Views: 249
project on hold as I get settled in my new house in aurora. Thanks guys

Ok, good and settled. Now back to getting my cruizer on the road. I have been looking at the wiring diagrams again and starting to think maybe a howell isn't so expensive after all.

Am I crazy for thinking about going that route? Is it far simpler than i am making it?

"Am I crazy for thinking about going that route? Is it far simpler than i am making it?"

It's not rocket science, but it needs to be right. That sounds simplistic, but ONE wire not (or incorrectly) hooked up can can be the beginning of a frustrating search for the problem. If you're going to work with the OEM harness, your persistence (with the help of a few good schematics), and attention to detail, will be rewarded.;)

HOWEVER, having gone through the process of dissecting the OEM harness in the past, I would not do it again.

An aftermarket harness (Howell's, etc.) takes a lot of the headaches out of the equation.

So do I need to Electronic Spark Control, I have been reading on pirate and many people don't even bother with it. If I don't use it what are the downsides?

If you don't run a knock sensor the ESC is useless. The ESC retards the timing
in the event of a signal from the knock sensor. The timing advance curve is programmed in the ECM. That can be modified by a re program. Howell doesn't use the ESC in their universal kits either. Speed sensors can be eliminated also
if you aren't running lock-up convertors that need it or the factory cruise control.

Awesome. Thanks Copper. I am going to get it this week and hopefully have a running cruiser in the next few weeks.

Cooper, not yet. I am just about done. Have to drop the fuel tank and get the fuel figured out and she should be able to run!!! woot.

I'll post pics and video when i get it cranking.

Any updates? I am planning my fuel lines and researching clutch options now.

took her for a drive today actually. So thats a big deal. Lots of work over the months, having some issues with no high gear and trying to get that figured out but all in all she runs pretty good, a few small issues but think ill get that figured out soon.

Can you take a boatload of photos of the engine compartment, fuel lines, and close up of all of your sensors? Email is destingulfview@gmail.com.

Mucho gracias!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom