TBI 4.3/5SPD in an FJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.exiom.com
Anybody done this one. I picked up a 91 4x4 S-10 with a low-mi TBI 4.3 motor & 5spd tranny. Will this bolt right up using the regular 350 motor mounts? I think it's mated to an NP208. How would you recommend going about this? It'd be cool to go to a 5 speed from the 4spd thats in there.

Erik

people have done the 4.3 swap.. still gives decent power but better fuel milage and the def. added bonus of having TBI. if i were to do the 350 swap again i'd give the 4.3 a try. from what i've heard the 350 block and the 4.3 is the same block with just 2 cyl. less. I beleive the stock motor mounts will bolt up to it. What 5 speed trannsmission is in it? i'd get rid of the NP208 though...

It should put out plenty of power to push the pig. It's about 30 more HP and weighs alot less.

its same as a TBI 350 conversion, with exception of the flywheel, the motormounts are in a different location, and you may have trouble with the manifolds unless you get creative (like swapping them left to right) running center dump headers, or van manifolds. I had a 94tbi in my 40 before I swapped in the v8. its decent, economical, and can get some power out, though TBI isnt a hp monster.. You will be good with the stock radiator- plenty of cooling.

-Dustin

S10 5speed will not work.

TRAILTOYZ said:
Anybody done this one. I picked up a 91 4x4 S-10 with a low-mi TBI 4.3 motor & 5spd tranny. Will this bolt right up using the regular 350 motor mounts? I think it's mated to an NP208. How would you recommend going about this? It'd be cool to go to a 5 speed from the 4spd thats in there.

Erik

i've never heard of a 4WD s-10 but i could be wrong... if so you'd have to use a divorced transfer case and then it just wouldn't be worth the work, and the fj40 doesn't have the wheel base to do a tricky divorced case build... (although i'm sure it could be done ie-300D)

my bad = i'm retarded...

Last edited:
do a search texican did a beutifull install of a 4.3 into a 40 with lots of pics and how he did it.

bandy rooster said:
i've never heard of a 4WD s-10 but i could be wrong... if so you'd have to use a divorced transfer case and then it just wouldn't be worth the work, and the fj40 doesn't have the wheel base to do a tricky divorced case build... (although i'm sure it could be done ie-300D)

There are plenty of 4WD S-10 pickups and Blazers. They were Chevy/GMCs economical version of 4WDs, Ford had the Bronco IIs.

bandy rooster said:

??? 4wd S10s are a dime a dozen round here. And worth at least half of that cost. ;)

Mark...

Texican did a beautiful job in that writeup. Looks like a long winter project though. Any advantage to a vortec over a TBI motor (other than HP)? I've heard the vortecs can give you alot of injector issues if the PSI isn't exact.

Would the regular 350 conversion bellhousing work on the 4.3, or would it be better to just mate it up to an SM465? Can you run the stock T-case with the 465?

And yes, 4wd S-10's are plentiful up here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom