TBI 350 swap exhaust options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to buy some exhaust manifolds/headers for my TBI 350 swap and I need some recommendations and feedback on what will and wont fit.

I've been told the stock TBI 350 truck manifolds wont fit, and I can either go with a different type of stock chevy manifold that dumps down the center, or go with a block hugger style header.

Is the stock TBI truck manifold definitely out of the question?

So for those who've run the stock kind of manifold, which application am I looking for? A friend of min has a 91 Blazer and they look like they dump straight down, but I'd like as much info as possible.

For those running a block hugger (or some other type) header which one did you use? I've seen one from Summit and one from Patriot. Are there any special considerations?

Thanks Guys!
Bryan

get on google and look for "ram's horn exhaust manifolds".... I belive they are from various covrettes around 68-70?

this web site has a pretty good pic of what they look like..BTB Motorsports

I also think some of the manifold of the caprice / buick road master that came with a 5.7 will work.

I have the rams horn manifolds on my truck..... have had no issues.

i have ram horn manifolds on my 60 too and they work well. but they get hot, esp whatever that steel tube is that connects the exhaust ports and gets red hot, not quite literally but almost. i am pretty sure thats a smog control deal and might not be necessary in your state.

i have heard (but dont really know first hand) that most block hugger style headers fit but tend to come loose regularly.

one love
jah bill

If your exhaust manifolds are getting red hot..."you got problems".... better check your distribtor & timing... are you talking about the air rail that comes off the manifolds (on some models)?

Nothing unique about rams horn style manifolds on the versions that have air rails.... there are a number of variations of exchaust manifolds that have air rails. Exhaust manifolds get hot....

Drive the crap out of it one evening.......stop quickly open hood in the dark and see if manifolds or air rails are red....if so...problems (no association with the maniold itself)

The manifolds on my truck are setup for air rails...but I plugged the holes and don't have to worry abour emission police. Some engines don't have provisions or use air rails to inject air into the exhaust system.

Some block huggers can cause starter over-heating, particularly with the old style high torque model, as they are really close to the end plate!

Sanderson Headers has two different castings that are pretty street rod looking, and are not the least spendy option. Summit lists some Ram's Horn manifolds from Dorman. First that I've heard of these. I'm curious what the report on them is. Speedway Motors lists a 2.5" Rams Horn that appear to be the same parts as those at Summit, and for the same, pretty reasonable pricing. They also offer their own 2.5" design rams horn which has a bigger sweep in the outer pair of 'tube' castings, in both iron and stainless, and for about what the Sanderson's go for. I would guess that they flow better than do the OE GM parts.

I used ram horns on the 80, i bought them used off of ebay for cheap and spent alot of thime cleaning them up to get the casting lines and knobs off of them to, hopefully decrease surface area/heat transfer, i used a exhaust paint with ceramic in it to help insulate them and keep the engine compartment cooler, but the paint was off in a few days. I would suggest getting them professionaly painted if you go this route.

I've run ram horns and block huggers. I'd actually favor the ram horns (if the motor is pretty stock) as cheaper versions of block huggers warp pretty easy. I'm going to ceramic coated block huggers for my new motor.

Last edited:
I did a google search on that casting# and it came up as 87-90 Chevy Pick up.
Is this the one you have in your 60?
Bryan

Mine are off of a truck from what I remember they have been on my 60 since 1986
GM #14093653 left side
Manifold.jpg

I did a google search on that casting# and it came up as 87-90 Chevy Pick up.
Is this the one you have in your 60?
Bryan

this is not a ram horn, this is the stock chev truck exhaust and will not work without a painful amount of modification.

this is not a ram horn, this is the stock chev truck exhaust and will not work without a painful amount of modification.

I said earlier when I posted the GM number thought it was off a truck.

Put on in ~1986 or 176,000 miles ago with no modifications:grinpimp:
MVC-401F.JPG
MVC-405F.JPG
MVC-406F.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think you have the problems with the stock exhaust manifolds in you run a GM auto trans, at least on the passenger side. Maybe be very close on the drivers side to the steering linkage.

got any pics that show your connections to the A/C compressor? PM please...

I have a tbi motor from a camaro in my fj62, used '90 vette manifolds - stainless center dump w/air. got them for about $90. work with the camaro ac and air pump. All stock stuff fits.

My mistake, they wouldnt come close to working in the 80 with the A440, what transmission do you have on yours?

TBI Manifolds

Here's what I have. The passenger side dumps in the front and the exhaust routes around the pan and back. Fits real nice. The driver's side is a mid dump, that ties into the one from the passenger side. The pictures will show it better.

Excuse the dirty motor. That well earned Moab dust and it sure does get everywhere.

Ex
P5100014.jpg
P5100019.jpg
P5100020.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom