Tax return came in, locker time! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided when i get some cash i would install a rear locker only, maybe a front later but tie will tell. Is the Aussie the one to go with? I spoke with ben real quick about this but forgot and now I need to pick one so I can order. Which one who what?:grinpimp:

Depends on your fundage..... Aussie locker....? I am wondering if that's like an OX locker. If you got the bread, there's only one true choice, and you know what choice that is. :cheers:

You might need to save that money for your cock fight fund in China.

Make sure you have all the body protection first before you buy the lockers. The locker will only get you to more places where you will need it.

In my perpetual cheap ass status Im not going arb, f- ing redicuous pricing when you compare it to an mechanical locker.

Brett, you thinking sliders b4 lockers? Hmm, interesting. But thats another 600 more than i wanted to spend.

I thought 250 to a rear locker wouldbe money well spent, wtf?

Think about it... do you really want that cable sliding in and out of the diff housing? A potential problem in two ways. First, the cable will wear out. Second, ingress of water is a good possibility. ARB is really the way to go, but if you wanna go cheap.....
:meh:

In my perpetual cheap ass status Im not going arb, f- ing redicuous pricing when you compare it to an mechanical locker.

Brett, you thinking sliders b4 lockers? Hmm, interesting. But thats another 600 more than i wanted to spend.

I thought 250 to a rear locker wouldbe money well spent, wtf?

Josh, $250 for a locker in a high dollar machine like your 80 is setting off all kind of alarm bells.

Seriously, you don't want a full-time locker in your rig. While lockers are great the 1% of the time that we use them, there are situations where having a locked vehicle is a bad thing. Certain off camber terrain can make having a locker dangerous. I know there are a lot of people out there that weld or fix a permanent locker in the rear of there vehicle but I don't think most of them use that vehicle as a daily driver. There are other reasons having a full-time locked rear end is not desireable but I'll let others chime in on that. I'd really recommend doing some research on this before spending the money.

You have a very capable truck and lockers are not the end all of off roading. You will break more stuff on your truck if you get lockers. Trust me. You'll want to go places that will test that locker and you'll need the body protection before you do it. I'd spend the money working up to the locker and then do it right with a locker that can be turned on and off as needed. :cheers:

If you went for a full time mechanical locker like a Detroit which is working all the time in your rear end, you will wear out those TSL tires very quickly. That will cost you a chunk to replace right there. We aren't trying to tell you what to do, but at least give you some food for thought. I want lockers in my rig bad too, just like everyone else, but I have a program I made to build my rig and I gotta follow it. You should maybe sit down and think what you want and make a plan too.
:wrench:

Food for thought is what exactly what im looking for and appreciate it. I have researched it but did not find anything about how having a locker in rear will be counter productive or dangerous? All i can think of is it might be dangerous in wet weather but ive driven rwd cars in rain and know how to respect the pedal.

As for protection, maybe sliders should come first, maybe not. The vehicle im putting together has a prime goal of long range ability. Im not going for a rock crawler and daily drivabilty is second. I bought the truck to be enjoyed and played with, if its not the prettiest 80 out there, I really dont mind. Arb's are just out of reasoning to me. i paid $7k for it so adding arb's would be more than 20% of what i paid.

I guess it comes down to rear locker or none at all.

Driving a vehicle with a rear locker will not be the same as driving a rear wheel drive car in the rain. A rear wheel drive car will not have a locked rear end. It's going to be an open diff and will allow one wheel to turn faster.
A locked rear end on your cruiser will feel very different than that car.

Yeah, think about it. I'm not trying to burst your bubble or slam your idea. I could be wrong about the rear end performance with the locker on your truck. The best thing to do is post in the 80's forum and ask the advice of others that have the same set up as the one your considering. See what kind of effect they've noticed in daily driving. My main concern beyond the how it drives would also be additional drive line wear. These trucks are already expensive to maintain compared to other Toyota vehicles, adding something like a full time rear locker may cost you more money in repair and maintenance in the end. More to think about.

Food for thought is what exactly what im looking for and appreciate it. I have researched it but did not find anything about how having a locker in rear will be counter productive or dangerous? All i can think of is it might be dangerous in wet weather but ive driven rwd cars in rain and know how to respect the pedal.

As for protection, maybe sliders should come first, maybe not. The vehicle im putting together has a prime goal of long range ability. Im not going for a rock crawler and daily drivabilty is second. I bought the truck to be enjoyed and played with, if its not the prettiest 80 out there, I really dont mind. Arb's are just out of reasoning to me. i paid $7k for it so adding arb's would be more than 20% of what i paid.

I guess it comes down to rear locker or none at all.

Don't even sweat having a rear locker. The auto tranny will make it nearly impossible to notice on the street due to smoother torque transfer. The torque from a manual is what causes the loud "bang" "bang" and bucking when these lockers release during a turn. On the dirt you may never "need" it but your truck will creep over stuff that you once had to bump over. Nothing extreme but a whole lot easier with a locker. :D

There is a very quick learning curve when having a rear locker on the trail. I would say there is only a 5% chance it will ever make an off-road situation worse. Having a front locker up front can cause latteral slide when climbing up and I would recommend not to put anything but a fully selectable locker up there.

Price has nothing to do with the cost of these trucks. IMO $200 is a little much for a drop in locker but that's just the price they are. Aussie's have good reviews, so does Detroit ez-lockers and lockrites. Just find which ever is cheapest shipped. Though keep away from the quick lock brand from Genuine Gear if they come in LC sizes. Genuine Gear is a s*** brand.

Last edited:
I made a post in the 80 forum and all replies are positive. Can we make it into a wrench day?

well if it turns out to be a bad idea it can always come out. you got me thinking of protection though.

Madbaggins from Copper State Cruisers has a Aussie in his 80, last I heard, he has nothing but positive comments about it. Drop him a pm, I'm shure he'd be happy to give you some .02.

I would say for a DD an aussie isnt too bad. You just have to get use to driving with it.I have a detroit auto locker in the rear and an aussie locker in the front. No real complants on the DD on the roads with it. Aussie is the better or the lunch box lockers in my opinion. I have heard its a little quiter then the others.

I would also have to agree with brett, this first thing i ever did to my truck was a pair of sliders....just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom