Taurusfan in a 2F'ish Pig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
So they're talking about fitting a taurus fan in a 2F '40 elsewhere in Mud. I guess it's common and easy with V8s ...and I been thinkin electrical radiator fan for a while now...anyway...and cheap at u-pull, compared to Summit, Et al...
'Cause why? (somebody always asks). 'Cause I got a lot of electricity to find a home for, and I like the idea of a fan I can turn on and off, and I think it might simplify my underhood, and secretely thinking about even electrical waterpumps too...
So, anybody yet fit a taurus fan in a 55? Seems like there would be more room...
push or pull?

I installed a Taurus fan in my pig with the TBI V8 conversion. Easy install. Fan fits the size of the stock radiator great. Have to fab up a mounting bracket for it, but that is no big deal if you have a welder ;) I don't know about putting it in front of a 2F though. I can measure it and let you know how thick it is. I think, it was 4"- 5". Pick and pull has dozens of them. ~$30. If you decide to do it, let me know. I have several relays I will donate and a 80amp in line fuse also. You can get the thermo switch at autozone for ~$20. IMHO, just use a toggle switch to turn it on. You know it has 2 speeds: Low and hurricane :) It draws 30 amps while running.

I'm with Pighead on this one. I have a highly modified 2F from an '85 FJ60 running about 9.5:1 compression and as soon as I have my H55 and splitcase rebuilt the whole combo is going in the '55. I am definitely worried about overheating. Anybody done the electric fan on a F/2F??

Thanks

Seth

PS If need be, I will be the guinea pig

I made the trek out to pix&pulls, came home with a taurus fan, now I see why not with a 2F. too thick. About 6" if you count the little dimple on the electric motor.
BUT! looks like one could cut off an easy 2 of those inches, maybe more, by removing extraneous shroud plastic. One does not really need a shroud for a pusher fan, does one?
Other problem might be the center hoodlatch support wanting to interfere with the electric motor, perhaps a slight offset to one side might solve that...
So, I'm just gonna start slicing this thing up until it does fit. If I can't make it work for the radiator, maybe I'll just convert it for use as a ceiling fan (watch your head!) or a blower for sweeping leaves out of the garage (Man does that thing blow! (or suck)).
As an aside, I also noticed several Mercedes (big ones) with pusher fans. smaller than the taurus fan, no shrouds, very simple mounting brackets, forgot to check and see if they were the primary fan or just supplemental. I might have to check them closer if this doesn't work...

The problem...even a crowbar won't make it fit.
2004_0821Image0002.JPG

but I found a green tool that made it fit...
2004_0821Image0001.JPG

Whoosh!
2004_0821Image0001.JPG

All buttoned up...except for those loose wires...
2004_0822Image0001.JPG
2004_0822Image0002.JPG

That's the wrong fan. Early 80s Taurus. The one I have is puller not a pusher. The puller fan is not as deep as that one.

Last edited:
pighead... so how much air is it pushing thru the radiator? do you think you might get rid of the factory fan and install a manual switch inline with a thermostat to turn the fan on and off?

Wrong fan? Argh...Early taurus? Shoot, they all look the same to me. Now I gotta learn early vs. late taurus? Darn.
This fan used to be a puller, but ya just turn it around and switch the wires and it's a pusher...

cardinal fang said:
That's the wrong fan. Early 80s Taurus. The one I have is puller not a pusher. The puller fan is not as deep as that one.

Hey BushBoy,
Y'know, I measured that fan lots while cutting it up, but I can't remember exactly the diameter.. 15 or 16 inches maybe. I'll get you that measurement when the sun comes up here.

P.S. O.K., fan diameter is closer to 14.5 inches

BushBoy said:
can i ask what diameter is that fan?
i have a couple of fans from a mitsubishi magna wreck that i could possibly use.

Last edited:
No idea how much air it pushes. but the fan size seems comparable to the stock fan and the RPM of the electric is huge. I might remove the factory fan tomorrow and play with just the electric, got a switch and relay, not sure if I believe in thermostatic switches or not, hate those automatic gizmos (like electric chokes).

MiniPigg said:
pighead... so how much air is it pushing thru the radiator? do you think you might get rid of the factory fan and install a manual switch inline with a thermostat to turn the fan on and off?

Pighead said:
No idea how much air it pushes. but the fan size seems comparable to the stock fan and the RPM of the electric is huge. I might remove the factory fan tomorrow and play with just the electric, got a switch and relay, not sure if I believe in thermostatic switches or not, hate those automatic gizmos (like electric chokes).

Here is the fan installed in my 55 with TBI. About 1/4" between the fan and the V8 fan pully. You can see how much narrower the early fan is from the the later fans. The shroud for the fan fits the stock radiator great.
I never thought about making a pusher fan out of it. If it works, go with it. But you might want to look into getting 80 amp fuse and some relays. Both of which I have and will donate to you.

Last edited:
Oh, early taurus. Early up to what year? Think I can take this one back and exchange it?
I have a pretty good-sized relay but a big fuse would be nice to have...
I'm going to play with wires now.

pighead im with you man, thermo and auto switches have proven reliable enough but i like to switch it myself. K.I.S.S.

but on a side note, i saw a way cool timer at a truck shop. really just a mech dial timer that is wired in a circuit and you turn the dial for how many minutes to stay on.

Easy way to ID the fan you are hunting, and they are not only on Taurus, several FWD Fords use em
they have 3 wires, and are 2 spd fans...
turus 1.jpg
taurus2.jpg

RHINO said:
pighead im with you man, thermo and auto switches have proven reliable enough but i like to switch it myself. K.I.S.S.

but on a side note, i saw a way cool timer at a truck shop. really just a mech dial timer that is wired in a circuit and you turn the dial for how many minutes to stay on.

I won't be at work all next week. But on the 1st I can bring the big fuse. I bought a breaker at the swap meet to repace the 80 amp fuse.

Butch, do use the big amp fuses on your taurus fans?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom