Taurus fan wiring and wire questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I did a quick search but I didn't find what I am looking for. I have a Taurus fan to install. It has 3 wires coming off of it(then the colored wires have 2 wires coming off of each). Ground is black

Questions: Which color is for high and which for low?
Question: I only have one speed working when I tested it with a battery. I heard that to get it to run at full speed, it has to be wired where the wires are wired together. This doesn't make sense to me. I would assume that a person would connect one wire you get one speed and disconnect. Connect the other wire and you get another speed. If they are wired together, wouldn't it bun out the fan?

Mine is wired with a switch to run low speed all the time. If I need a little more cooling I flip it to high. What are the wire colors? Mine is covered in a big loom but if I remember correctly the brown (?) was low and the black/yellow(?) was high. Either way it makes sense that the larger gauge should be high.

EDIT: Reread your thread and it sounds like you have ground plus 2 larger gauge leading to a total of 4 (besides ground)? I would just use the 3 large wires. Ground/Low/High.

Last edited:
So after doing more research, it appears that the fan wiring would have the low speed going when the high speed kicks in? The low speed doesn't actually disconnect. So for high speed to work, the low speed has to be running correct?

I'm no wiring expert but they should be seperate. When I checked my fan prior to install I grounded the black wire and then connected one wire (low) to the battery and it came on. Next I disconnected the low wire after testing. Then I connected the other larger wire (high) with the low wire disconnected and the high speed came on. Should be seperate with power going to either wire but not both.

I saw those. Well maybe one of my speeds ins't working. On the Tarus fan, what color wire is for high and what color low?

I used one of these fans on my broncoII project if you leave the low speed on when the hi speed kicks in high speed is not that high if you turn off the low speed and then turn on the highspeed it will be faster

run some good sized wire and run a big relay for the high.I am running mine on a low/off/high 3 way switch ,to a 30 amp relay for the low and 70 amp relay for the high

PM camcruiser, he is the Taurus dude.....

Thanks for all the help. I am getting ready for Surf n Turf and don't have time to put in a temp sender for the fan right now so I am going to temp. wire the fan with an on/off/on switch. I also had to get another fan since the low did not work on the origional. Does this wiring look correct?
2hz1u1i.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Casy! You still running this set-up aren't you?

looks good amigo :)

Just out of curiosity? what type alternator are you guys running with these high output taurus fan ? 30 amp,60amp 90-140 etc. I myself is planning on doing this install, i have a SBC with a 10-SI alternator which is probably rated at 30 amps.Will i need a high output alternator:confused: Thanks

You will need to run a 70 amp relay for the high. If you dont you will burn somthing up.

I don't remember ever hearing that when I was researching the wiring of mine. I wondered why I kept blowing out the 40amp relay from KC.

Where do you get a 70amp relay reasonably?

I look into the DC control system occasionally but don't have the money to drop on it.

fan wiring

This is my set up. I used a small 20A relay (like that from autozone) for the high/low select and one motor relay for each speed. The part numbers I could find are: Temp switchs are Horton 993616 (185 F) and 993653 (195) both ebay finds, 2 ea Bosch 75 A motor relays (ebay again) I run a 160 F thermostat and OE radiator with mild 350 sbc. I recall there was some rule of thumb about the lowest temp switch had to be around 15 to 20 F above the thermostat. You must use the Bosch (or Tyco) motor relays, the inductive load of the fan motor will destroy a regular relay contact. The Horton temps switches are heavy duty like used for fan switches in the big diesel trucks and are very reliable, never use the micky mouse little things they sell at autozone. Mount the low temp switch in the intake manifold and the high temp switch in the block under the exhaust manifold. This setup only requires one 75 A relay to start and stop the low speed that is well within its capability by a factor of 2 at least, this is 90% of your switching duty in most cases). The small relay only is used to pick up the other 75A motor relay for the high speed. The key is the high speed only kicks in if the low speed is not enough so you are not starting the high speed fan from 0 where it draws all the current.
fan wiring.jpg

I don't remember ever hearing that when I was researching the wiring of mine. I wondered why I kept blowing out the 40amp relay from KC.

Where do you get a 70amp relay reasonably?

I look into the DC control system occasionally but don't have the money to drop on it.

I am going to run mine with this as the controller:

Programmable Dual Fan Controller

And I got all the other stuff like circuit breakers and relays from here:

Welcome to Waytek Wire

Thanks for all the help. I am getting ready for Surf n Turf and don't have time to put in a temp sender for the fan right now so I am going to temp. wire the fan with an on/off/on switch. I also had to get another fan since the low did not work on the origional. Does this wiring look correct?
2hz1u1i.jpg

If one were to add a temp sensor or two (low 180deg and hi temp 203deg) to this where would it go?
Im still mulling over diagrams, Im fairly certain I have all the equipment I need, I just need to do it.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom