Tapping the IG1 Relay bus from the bottom side (under the relay/fuse panel in the engine compartment fuse box) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all-
Has anyone tapped one of the unused fuse locations connected to the IG1 relay bus in the engine compartment fusebox (2016 MY)? Ideally, I’d like to add a new wire with a female connector that can snap into the underside of the fusebox panel. I think this would provide a near-factory install complete with a dedicated fuse.

However, I can’t see an obvious way to lift off the fuse/relay plastic mounting grid to access the underside. I assume there are a few hidden/plastic clips that hold in the panels (Looks like the IGN1 relay is a part of a fuse module called “Unit A”?) I also worry that the wiring on the underside is so tight that it makes it difficult or risky to access. Has anyone done this before and any advice?

Here's a picture of the IG1 relay and the 5 open connections that would be ideal to add a circuit/fuse to.

1582602056878.png

As an alternative, I searched and found that a lot of other folks have simply tapped the +12 ign from the top of the fuse panel with an add-a-fuse so if it’s not feasible to access the bottom maybe that is my plan B. That would be super easy for sure but curious about hitting it from the underside.

Or, as a plan c, I might resort to running a new line from a generally unused circuit (like from the cig lighter) to the engine compartment to provide the +12v ignition signal. I thought about tapping into another IG1 circuit at the load where the wires are exposed (like washer, seat heaters) but I think prefer to keep the circuits independent.

But with all the IG1 open connections just sitting there I figured I’d ask in case I’m missing something obvious. Has anyone done this or have a different recommendation (plan d :))?

(I’m planning to connect this +12v ign signal to a relay to switch power for a new ignition bus in the engine compartment so load on the source circuit would be minimal.)

Thanks!

Jeff

Hey all-
Has anyone tapped one of the unused fuse locations connected to the IG1 relay bus in the engine compartment fusebox (2016 MY)? Ideally, I’d like to add a new wire with a female connector that can snap into the underside of the fusebox panel. I think this would provide a near-factory install complete with a dedicated fuse.

However, I can’t see an obvious way to lift off the fuse/relay plastic mounting grid to access the underside. I assume there are a few hidden/plastic clips that hold in the panels (Looks like the IGN1 relay is a part of a fuse module called “Unit A”?) I also worry that the wiring on the underside is so tight that it makes it difficult or risky to access. Has anyone done this before and any advice?

Here's a picture of the IG1 relay and the 5 open connections that would be ideal to add a circuit/fuse to.

View attachment 2221224

As an alternative, I searched and found that a lot of other folks have simply tapped the +12 ign from the top of the fuse panel with an add-a-fuse so if it’s not feasible to access the bottom maybe that is my plan B. That would be super easy for sure but curious about hitting it from the underside.

Or, as a plan c, I might resort to running a new line from a generally unused circuit (like from the cig lighter) to the engine compartment to provide the +12v ignition signal. I thought about tapping into another IG1 circuit at the load where the wires are exposed (like washer, seat heaters) but I think prefer to keep the circuits independent.

But with all the IG1 open connections just sitting there I figured I’d ask in case I’m missing something obvious. Has anyone done this or have a different recommendation (plan d :))?

(I’m planning to connect this +12v ign signal to a relay to switch power for a new ignition bus in the engine compartment so load on the source circuit would be minimal.)

Thanks!

Jeff

Any luck? I'm surprised there are no responses to this.

I just used an add a fuse, so don't have anything to offer.

I didn't end up finding a way to easily tap the underside of the box and I didn't want to pull another wire from a remote accessory that I'd (or the next owner) would have to remember and trace troubleshoot later when something went awry.

As others mentioned, I ended up using an add a fuse, and I tapped the IG1 Bar in the fusebox in the engine compartment. I ran the line outside of the box using an existing conduit. It was very easy to unwrap the original wire egress, add a second into the plastic horn, and then wrapped it all up tight again. Here's a picture of how it turned out.

That line is fused protected (2 amp) and I only run it through relays. Currently it triggers my SwitchPros as well as a relay to power my radios.

1588895680582.png

So not as sexy as I had hoped, but to me, acceptable.

Here's another shot of that plastic horn coming out of the fuse box. Lots of room to run another wire (or two).

1588896016525.png

Yeah, that is not sexy at all! Just kidding! Thanks for taking the time to get some pics. I'm definitely a visual learner and these are worth more than a 1000 words. Appreciate it!

I'm looking to do the exact same thing as the original poster for my LRA tank pump. I was hoping someone else had done it before and had a link to the connectors needed to add the fused side to the fuse receptacles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom