Tapping noise from Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i picked up a '97 lx450 dirt cheap on a whim and have been fixing some smaller issuse but the main issue i havnt yet tackled is the engine noise. Id call it a tapping, present at all times, sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes quite loud, increases with rpm. Seems to be from top end, towards the rear. Also worth noting, engine has normal power till it warms up, after that its probably the slowest vehicle ive ever driven. I havnt had the time to tear it down yet and i am unfamiliar with this particular engine. Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated. Im hoping its something simple. Thank you

Posting a video with sound would help.

I'll post a video in the morning. 195k miles. I changed the oil soon as i got it, cut the filter open, no signs of debris. Tried ruling out bottom end. Valve cover gasket has cleary been leaking for a while, from cover caked with oil n dirt as well.

Sounds like valves are in dire need of adjustment?

Update: Was also in the process of replacing rear axle seals so had to finish that first. Removed all belts today, noise is a little different now. Video attached.

Update: Was also in the process of replacing rear axle seals so had to finish that first. Removed all belts today, noise is a little different now. Video attached.

Possible exhaust leak &/or valves is what I hear; keep us posted, & good hunting!

I did find the exhaust leaking where the rear manifold connects to the y-pipe. Are these engines prone to valve train issues/ require adjusting?

The 1FZ-FE is a 100k schedule for valves, I believe. I have the 3FE, and is specified at every 15k.
I highly encourage you to get a copy of the FSM. It will save you lots of frusteration and give you answers to questions and guidance to troubleshooting.
Cheers!

The 1FZ-FE is a 100k schedule for valves, I believe. I have the 3FE, and is specified at every 15k.
I highly encourage you to get a copy of the FSM. It will save you lots of frusteration and give you answers to questions and guidance to troubleshooting.
Cheers!
Ive held off on investing in the manual as wits end is out of stock and it appears they go for $170+ otherwise. Truth be told i havnt decided if im keeping the vehicle yet. My fear is this engine noise will become a very expensive rabbit hole. I appreciate the info tho, thank you kindly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom