Tap tap tap - front wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1988 -62 has been making this tap tap tap sound from what seems like the left front wheel. I cannot pinpoint the source exactly. It almost sounds like something flapping in the breeze but I've looked many times and everything seems to be battened down tight. The frequency of the taps is speed-dependant (drive faster...faster taps).... The truck doesn't pull to either side and makes no other unexpected sounds. It doesn't make the tap tap tap sound constantly when I drive it, but it's getting more consistent.

It has relatively new bearings in front, 2 year old OME lift/shocks... everything freshly greased. Any ideas or things I should check?

Thx

Wheel weights grazing the tie rod end? Check your brake anti-squeal springs to make sure they aren't touching the disc?

Rock caught in the dust shield.
Loose Caliper bolts.
Wheelbearings out of adjustment.
Casting flaw in the cheap chinese brake rotor.

You might also check to see that the spring clip retainer for the caliper pins (hold the brake pads in place) is still in place. Mine came loose once and drove me NUTS trying to figure out where the ticking noise was coming from. Without the clip, the pin (s) can float into and make contact with the rotating wheel. It was most noticeable while in a turn- at speed on the hwy.
HTH,

Dave

RedfishBluegrass said:
Definately the caliper spring pins. Check to see if the noise stops when you apply the brakes.

Ditto, I had a brake job done on my 60 and the "anti Rattle springs" were left off by the Toyota ASE mech. :mad:

I took it in and he looked it over and said everything was fine, then I got out the SOR catalogue and noticed the missing parts in the exploded drawings.

The noise doesn't stop with braking...... End of the day tomorrow wheels come off, check the calipers, springs, pins etc.... If nothing there, then I'll check the bearings.....

Thanks all for the good advice. I'll keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom