Build Thread: Tan, Blue, and Financial Irresponsibility. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right! many more small updates- been pulling off parts to do rust prevention and general cleaning, I found a trouble spot on the frame where the PO welded a hanger or something for the exhaust that let rust sneak in unfortunately, but I think it'll be addressable before its a problem. My new exhaust went in pretty easy and its so nice to be able to hear myself in and around the cruiser. The engine definitely sounds like a sewing machine now that i can hear more than a dull roar, so much so that I went and found other videos of 2f's running to make sure the tick noise I can hear isn't a problem- I don't think it is, but ima keep a ear out while doing the new head gasket break in and adjust the valves each time I do that too.

We took our first drive and for the most part it went great, between better compression and the new carb it feels like it has a good amount more power than before, but coming back onto my street the steering bound up hard while turning left and it didn't let go until I pulled the ebrake hard to stop us before hitting my neighbors house(YIKE) gonna look into that next before the other million projects. She still doesn't have power steering because honestly I didn't really care about it- there was some novelty to driving a big 80' suv without it, and Im mildly strong enough to steer without issue. but that probably wasn't smart. Gonna rebuild the steering box, replace the seized PS pump (I have a used OEM one from a junkyard, but I'm heavily looking at the Saginaw conversion- may do that and send the steering box to west texas to be rebuilt and hydrotapped. I have a spare steering box im gonna attempt to rebuild myself, one of the many treasures that the PO left in the blue cruiser. been soaking the tie rods, steering box and any other linkages in penetrating oil to tackle it soon as I can.

I've been in Texas working and got back yesterday, started it to move to a different spot in the yard to keep the grass fresh and even sitting for 40ish days it kicked on immediately. its still a brick in the yard for now, but its still my favorite brick.
Good work! I drove a ‘66 ford 100 stepside pickup in highschool. I learned to drive in that thing. Had no power steering. My assigned parking space at school required me to parallel park daily... with no PS. I got really good at it. If I wasn’t racing BMX at the time I probably wouldn’t have been able to muscle that thing into place. The clutch was a bear to work too. How I managed that truck is beyond me... lol

Good work! I drove a ‘66 ford 100 stepside pickup in highschool. I learned to drive in that thing. Had no power steering. My assigned parking space at school required me to parallel park daily... with no PS. I got really good at it. If I wasn’t racing BMX at the time I probably wouldn’t have been able to muscle that thing into place. The clutch was a bear to work too. How I managed that truck is beyond me... lol
Seems to me that Ford's always have hard clutches and power steering issues.

:smokin:

no pics?

Seems to me that Ford's always have hard clutches and power steering issues.
Considering there was no power steering to begin with, yeah it was pretty hard. Lol
I had a major wheel stud failure and lost a wheel and damaged the hub and drum brake. Dad and I fixed it and added power steering from a 70’s ford. We also discovered that the bushing in the clutch pedal was worn out and was causing excess friction. First time doing major car work with my dad. Good times!

I wish I had pictures of that truck. My mom still has it rotting in her driveway... 😔

Hey, Back again!
This time I was in Amarillo Texas opening a coffee shop. There is a ton of sweet 80 series in that town, I drove past a big white one with Cummins badges on it everyday hoping I'd see the dude outside tinkering with it. Also met a super friendly 80's series owner that went outta his way to bring his rig to my job on the last day out there, I shoulda caught his forum name but he gave a bunch of helpful advice about suspension for my 60. Speaking of-

Pulley puller is on order to swap the PS pump, still figuring out the saginaw swap for now. Getting ready to pull the steering box this week and send it to West Texas offroad, I'm magically at the point in my life where it makes more sense to pay someone to fix that then to struggle and get it wrong, weird. Gonna retune the carb because she took her first 100 mile drive the day I got back and did great, I greased all points in the suspension and the weird bind went away and it drove perfectly until night came and she tried to die at red lights, but otherwise I'm super happy. Do need to get a bigger welder to address the rust spot on the frame, it ended up being much bigger than expected and my entire frame has about 3 inches of the finest, lung clogging dirt through out all of it, gonna figure out how to clean then look into fluid film.

I planned to drive out to this trip and take the Tacoma I bought a year back, in preparation I replaced the steering rack, lower and upper ball joints- only took me a few hours, buying this Landcruiser has taught me tons and I'm really glad I did.
Ill check in in after the next trip and all the work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom