Tall skinny tires (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody ever use or know someone who used these?: Pneumatic Internal BeadLock — Inner Air Lock – Made in USA - https://www.innerairlock.com/products/beadlocks

For awhile I thought about getting some surplus HMMWV wheels/tires because the price is so low and you have beadlocks. The product above seems like it might be a really awesome addition to your LC. You could air down your tall skinny tires to less than 10PSI if needed, but not worry about losing a bead or bending a rim as the inflatable beadlock prevents that. The inflatable beadlock also acts like a runflat insert saving your rim if you have to drive on a flat. Price is also significantly cheaper than buying beadlock rims. There's a couple different companies that make these devices.

The guy who made or makes them is from Northern MI. Shawn Lichty or something similar. Some of my local friends have used his Inner Air Locks.

Read through this whole thread and have some questions about 17" wheels on a 2.5" lifted FJ40.

Are there ANY stock wheel that will fit on a 40 without spacers?

I'm running custom 16" steelies (Like Mr. Manny) with 3.5 or 3.75 inch backspacing and Toyo M55 255/85/R16.

Disc brakes all around.

M55s will need replaced soon and want some options that might include 17 inch wheels.

Thank You Kindly!

Kenda Klever RT 35x10.5R17. In responce to @centerlineseal if this helps at all this is my HZJ75 the tires are on procomp rims 9" wide steel 3.5 back space I had to use 1/4" spacer cause these rims rub my front break disc caliper. Drums for the rear are fine. The back spacing is fine its just the way the rim is designed they don't taper out fast enough. If the axles you have are like my 75 then I suggest not getting procomp rims.

20230108_144046.jpg

20230108_144022.jpg

Thanks lean2lux!

I've narrowed my search to a 33" tire for my 60 series with a 2"ish lift. The tire size I'm looking at are the 255/80r17 vs 33x10.5r17.
The 255 Is the wildpeak and the 33 is the kenda klever r/t. Between these 2 tires, what is the true size? Does the kenda really measure more than the wildpeak? Has anyone put these 2 tires next to each other?

I've narrowed my search to a 33" tire for my 60 series with a 2"ish lift. The tire size I'm looking at are the 255/80r17 vs 33x10.5r17.
The 255 Is the wildpeak and the 33 is the kenda klever r/t. Between these 2 tires, what is the true size? Does the kenda really measure more than the wildpeak? Has anyone put these 2 tires next to each other?

Don't forget that that Mickey Thompson new Baja Boss AT (it's an RT) is available in 255/80r17 as well.

My 35x10.5r17 Kenda Klever measure around 34.5, which I believe is the Kenda website spec. It's been a year since I looked at this though.

Don't forget that that Mickey Thompson new Baja Boss AT (it's an RT) is available in 255/80r17 as well.

My 35x10.5r17 Kenda Klever measure around 34.5, which I believe is the Kenda website spec. It's been a year since I looked at this though.
Thanks Grinchy. Just looked at the mickey thompson site and I see them in 255/85r17.

I test fitted my 315/70r17 from my 80 for visual purpose and they fit really well. They fill the gap nicely. I still have my 2f and I'm regeared which should help.

Last edited:
Thanks Grinchy. Just looked at the mickey thompson site and I see them in 255/85r17.

I test fitted my 315/70r17 from my 80 for visual purpose and they fit really well. They fill the gap nicely. I still have my 2f and I'm regeared which should help.
oh yeah, that's what I get for 1 year old memory. They are /85/.

That’s a really nice setup. I found two of them here in GA and unfortunately they are no longer making them in that size. I called the company to verify and that’s the case unless someone heard differently.

I had to make an account just to reply to this! I have been looking at these tires for 2 years now and this is the only forum I have seen anyone talk about them. When I read this I had to ask Greenball myself. This is what they said and they gave me a part number. I’ll call discount later today and let you know. On a different note, the 2 guys that have them what do you think about them? I am thinking about putting them on my 1996 ford ranger with a 6 inch lift. I like the skinny tire a lot better in the snow and ice.

3AEF6AF1-2D38-4C98-BD2A-8F540B97C858.jpeg

Called discount. No luck there maybe it’s just my local store though they only sold Kenati atv tires. I did find someone else and they are checking to see if they can order them.

Called discount. No luck there maybe it’s just my local store though they only sold Kenati atv tires. I did find someone else and they are checking to see if they can order them.
Do you have Point S in your area? They are Kanati dealers here in Oregon.

I don’t but unfortunately I can confirm that they are discontinued. Had a local store get that info from their supplier.

I don’t but unfortunately I can confirm that they are discontinued. Had a local store get that info from their supplier.
Thanks for looking into it. They also told me a few months ago that they discontinued them. That’s the only DOT tire in that size that I can find. Someone on EBay is selling a set but when you need to replace one your up the creek.

It should be said that there is another thread here about a 33x9.5r15. It’s a Kenda tire. Thought that would be useful in for here. Measures out to 32.5 tall, 7.5 tread width. Good option for people

I've only got one, still waiting on the four to fit the car, but couple of pics of a 285 75 17 Nitto Trail Grappler vs worn out Toyo MT 35 x 13.5 15. Nittos are taller, both on 8'' rims.

IMG_20230311_111804.jpg

IMG_20230311_111530.jpg

IMG_20230311_111709.jpg

IMG_20230311_111601.jpg

A couple thoughts on Tall skinny tires today.

Narrow tires have less rolling resistance on loose terrain/don't push as much soil in front of them. Given this for flotation, a larger diameter narrow tire would perform better than a smaller diameter wider tire with the same area of contact patch/flotation ability.

Bead locks can allow you to deflate your narrow tires down for a seriously increased contact patch if need be. True bead lock rims are expensive especially that lock both and not just one bead. Stumbled across this piece of tech Pneumatic Internal BeadLock — Inner Air Lock – Made in USA - https://www.innerairlock.com/products/beadlocks These things have a tube inside a reinforced cover inside your tire that you inflate to 65PSI or so that locks your tire bead to the rim and gives you 3-4" cushion for your rim in case of rocks and acts as a run flat. You can then safely reduce tire pressure down to less than 10psi while off roading without worry about busting a bead/losing inflation or damaging a rim.

The Chinese are making copies of michelin 9-16 or 255 100R 16 military tires. Extremely heavy heavy duty tire. Could be worth taking a chance if you have a group of a few buddies to make a group buy. Hot Sale New Radial Truck Tyre 255/100r16 With Good Price - Buy Truck Tyre 255/100r16,Tyre 255/100r16,Tire 255/100r16 Product on Alibaba.com - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HOT-SALE-new-radial-truck-tyre_60700612477.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.43744ff4ZABDm3

Last edited:
I used to run the internal beadlocks few years back, for me they were relatively trouble free, they still did get mud and crap in the beads which you needed to clean out otherwise it would work inside and puncture the inner tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom