Tall skinny tires (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@mattressking Nate…indeed those do look great. In that 1st picture what size is mounted & on your 40?

damn, that just looks right
1663803546869.png

Took a moment to measure the tread on the extra grip recaps today since I have the new one mounted to compare to the others. New tire has 17/32" of tread, tires with approximately 15-20k miles have 10 /32" of tread. I don't know exactly because my GPS speedometer has only been on for about 11,000 MI and I had the extra grips for a while before it was installed. 2500 miles per 1/32" that I've read to expect for tire wear seems accurate with these tires. 35-40k miles seems like an accurate guess for the tire life on these tires.

The only fault I can find in these tires for the price is theyre a little noisy and only come in two sizes both of which measure 32 x 9". The extra rubber that squeezes out during the recap of the tire tread to the core as seen in the picture probably contributes to the noise but I haven't bothered to trim it off with a razor knife.

IMG20220928083241.jpg

IMG20220928083227.jpg

7.50 R16C Michelin XZL...... Despite all the lackluster performance review for the XZL aside from being tough and robust,
The two happiest tire ownership days of my life is when I got my first set of XZLs and the day I sold them....

Depends on which Michelin XZL model you get perhaps. I've tried the Non "4x4 o/r" versions sized at 8.25 r16 (mil spec tire) and the sidewalls didn't had any give / flex even when deflated below 18psi when mounted on my 1974 FJ40.

This particular variant name "XZL O/R 4x4" sized at 7.50 r16c doesn't have those inherent issues seen on the larger diameter size XZLs that doesn't bear the "O/R 4x4" naming.

They performed well on varying terrain and was decent enough on paved roads compared to the bias ply Goodyear Xtra Grip CXG it replaced. It rides decent and the sidewalls flexed much better this time when deflated at 18psi for sand use. It all boils down on which Michelin XZL variant / load rating model you use based from my personal experience having owned two different XZL variants.

A big plus is that it looks proper when mounted in a 40 Series for sure.

1667922910073.png

1667922946715.png

The 7.50 O/R is also a mil spec tire, probably the main reason this size is still available.
But yes I can imagine that the 8.25+ sizes are quite stiffer, in Europe no 4wd would have that size from factory (and you can't legally change diameter). This is a heavy duty truck size, it's made for truck weighting at the bare minimum 4T. While the 7.50 was made for P4 and Defender, which match the weight of a 40.

The 7.50 is very flexible on the 40, really excellent traction. Its downsides are wet roads handling and noise at speed over 90-100kph but it improves with wear.
It used to be available in 235-85R16 with a 4 blocks pattern and it seems this variant had better on-road handling and noise but this variant is now long gone...

On another side the XZL is really tough, can resist to a lot.
Recently I had a puncture on my tube (20+ years old tube...) after a little cascade with the 40. As I was at a 40 series gathering I took advantage of all the experienced people around me to do a little split rim workshop to fix the tube...
1667927501163.png

We had a really hard time un-beading the tire from the circle to remove it, thing was not having it.
1667927616503.png
1667927630192.png

1667927898482.png
1667927915460.png

The 7.50 O/R is also a mil spec tire, probably the main reason this size is still available.
But yes I can imagine that the 8.25+ sizes are quite stiffer, in Europe no 4wd would have that size from factory (and you can't legally change diameter). This is a heavy duty truck size, it's made for truck weighting at the bare minimum 4T. While the 7.50 was made for P4 and Defender, which match the weight of a 40.

The 7.50 is very flexible on the 40, really excellent traction. Its downsides are wet roads handling and noise at speed over 90-100kph but it improves with wear.
It used to be available in 235-85R16 with a 4 blocks pattern and it seems this variant had better on-road handling and noise but this variant is now long gone...
The 8.25-16 XZLs were supplied to a local engineering firm here in my country for their mixed fleet of Land Cruiser 70 series single cab and troop carriers. As a consultant providing services to that firm, I was able to get a hold for a set. Never had a pleasant experience on those tires when mounted in a 40 series as it was too stiff no matter tire pressure you put on it on the safe tire pressure range recommended. Sold that set to a friend who owns an Isuzu Elf 4x4 single cab truck.

The second time around, I was able to order the correct load rating 7.50 r16c XZL and I'm quite pleased with the performance comparing to majority of bias ply lug tires and even some of the mud terrain tires from mid tier tire manufacturers I've had experienced with.

Mud, loose soil (sand dunes mostly), forest service roads, dirt roads to badly paved / pothole infested streets, these tires provided satisfactory performance except for wet asphalt and concrete roads where they had far lesser grip compared to the Yokohama Geolandar G003 Mud Tire, perhaps the most civilized and "taut" knobby tires I've used. This attributes to the absence of thread sipings perhaps.

Overall, I've only logged 850kms on these and will continue to provide feedback specially on highway driving.

Love the XZL, it's a legendary tyre!
Sad that they've written off all other sizes, e.g. 6.50X16, 7.00X16, to name a few... 😞

Last edited:
Finally got kanati 35x10.5r15s mounted. Measurements match @EWheeler .

Mounted @50psi : 34.2”

Test fitting on @The Machinist ’s 60 tonight if he doesn’t take forever at work ;)

View attachment 3120432

View attachment 3120433

View attachment 3120434

View attachment 3120435
That’s a really nice setup. I found two of them here in GA and unfortunately they are no longer making them in that size. I called the company to verify and that’s the case unless someone heard differently.

How about something that’ll fit a 15 so us guys who still want to look somewhat stock can get some 33s or 35s without rubbing? I’m having a nightmare trying to find 33x9.50s to run on my bj42. I got the stock Toyota rims with hubcaps. But I get rubbing on the front during full lock. I refuse to run spacers. Apparently I can get stock rims modified but sounds dodgy to me. I’m looking at a set of nomads. They are Convoys in 15x7 with a -10 offset. They suggest this should fix my issue. But if it doesn’t I’m SOL as I can’t send them back.

How about something that’ll fit a 15 so us guys who still want to look somewhat stock can get some 33s or 35s without rubbing? I’m having a nightmare trying to find 33x9.50s to run on my bj42. I got the stock Toyota rims with hubcaps. But I get rubbing on the front during full lock. I refuse to run spacers. Apparently I can get stock rims modified but sounds dodgy to me. I’m looking at a set of nomads. They are Convoys in 15x7 with a -10 offset. They suggest this should fix my issue. But if it doesn’t I’m SOL as I can’t send them back.
Have you tried adjusting your wheel stops to help prevent rubbing at full lock?

3 Years since installation and haven't had any issues with the G003 (235/85 R16 on 16x6 0 offset OEM Steelies).

Most taut and civilized MT pattern tire I used from my humble experience.

No noticeable chipping, chunking nor cracking. I'll definitely get another set for my HJ61.

I likely regard to it as a "Maximum Traction" tire rather than a Mud Tire as it does so well on different terrain conditions and a major advantage is that it has great wet road performance compared to most MT Tires and even some AT Tires I've had experienced.

OEM Plus Look.

1672924687310.png

When I was in the Army we would carry whatever we needed to on a tactical vehicle no matter what it was rated for. By tactical vehicle specifically I mean a vehicle carrying troops and equipment into combat and not a truck hauling supplies to support combat. When you know a vehicle will be overloaded and driven on in/through areas that are littered with debris from destroyed vehicles/buildings etc..... You need really tough tires that don't blow out easily. You also don't care how the tire rides or how noisy it is....................These features if used on a civilian vehicle make for a extremely tough long lasting tire, but not necessarily one that performs the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom