Tall skinny tires (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you are going to be happy. That is a nice rig you have. ...........People who want tall skinny tires are a small group. (people who like the look of a skinny tire, but want more capability than a 31-32" gives you, or people with vintage lower HP rigs.) You can still easily get skinny mud tires 32" or less. Tall ones not so much.
I sent a email to tirecappers in Nashville asking if they could custom retread a set of tires that was a different size from what they offered. I specifially inquired about retreading surplus 8.25-16" michelin XZL's. I have not yet received a reply and I doubt I will especially with everyone on limited manning due to covid 19. XZL's are a extremely durable military tire. 8.25-16 is used on the G-wagons used by the Canadian military and some limited USMC units.

Cool! Get some measurements when they're on wheels, 32 psi. Curious what they measure out to 👌

I was told that these (KENDA KLEEVERS) measure out at 34.76 in height, but I didn’t know at how many lbs. of air pressure that they used, it didn’t say....sure thing ,will do 👍 as you’ve requested when I find some rims !

Again, this (finding rims) has become a daunting task also. Millions of styles to chose from :bang:
Once I found one made by GEAR, when I went to buy them they said that they were “NO LONGER AVAILABLE” ......leave it up to ME to chose one that was obsolete ! :censor:

I was told that these (KENDA KLEEVERS) measure out at 34.76 in height, but I didn’t know at how many lbs. of air pressure that they used, it didn’t say....sure thing ,will do 👍 as you’ve requested when I find some rims !

Again, this (finding rims) has become a daunting task also. Millions of styles to chose from :bang:
Once I found one made by GEAR, when I went to buy them they said that they were “NO LONGER AVAILABLE” ......leave it up to ME to chose one that was obsolete ! :censor:
If you like a more plain style rim, Tundra spare tires come on plain steel rims and are 17" You may need to use some spacers with them. I don't think they will look "right" on your truck, but definately more Utility style than most of what is available out there.

I have been seriously thinking of going with “steelies.” Is it possible to buy the old style Toyota hubcaps with clips, or are they exclusively for a 15 inch rim only ? Black Rino’s have a wide variety of rims with a military, mechanical L👀K about them that’s appealing.

Last edited:
I don't if it's available there in North America but this tire is widely available in Asia. It's an aggressive / dedicated mud tire.

What's really amazing is they keep growing the list for new sizes but only stay exclusively on the narrow profile(for now). Hence the coveted "tall and skinny" profile that we yearn and love on our cruisers.

1590717553498.png

Here it is installed on a 1983 BJ40 Cruiser (31x10.50 r15 variety).

1590717302149.png

No they’re not available here in North America, are you kidding someone might lose a buck !
Why oh why, does the U.S. tire industry not hear our voice on this issue ?! We are altogether undone at times because some “tycoon” might have to compete with somebody !? SHEESH !

F00264D8-B466-4378-8E5A-346E28F7EEF8.gif

The C.E.O. of a major American Tire industry ! o_O 😁😂

BFDE4CFD-5753-41D6-9C5D-70DFF227F1B1.gif

Last edited:
You can get super swamper boggers in tall and narrow. Interco actuallly has a number of tall skinny very aggressive mud tires. They are all going to be More than $175 or so a piece many more than $230 each. You may also have to wait 3-4 weeks to get them. I was going to by some 34X9.5-15 or 32X9.5-15 or 33X9.5 or 33X10.5-15 swampers, but no one had 4 tires in stock...I couldn't even locate 4 tires between the companies. I was trying to get the LC ready for uwharrie relic run(unfortunately now cancelled). So I picked a cheap tire to try as well as be retro and different and make up the cost of buying 16" rims to give me more tire choices in the future.

You can get super swamper boggers in tall and narrow. Interco actuallly has a number of tall skinny very aggressive mud tires. They are all going to be More than $175 or so a piece many more than $230 each. You may also have to wait 3-4 weeks to get them. I was going to by some 34X9.5-15 or 32X9.5-15 or 33X9.5 or 33X10.5-15 swampers, but no one had 4 tires in stock...I couldn't even locate 4 tires between the companies. I was trying to get the LC ready for uwharrie relic run(unfortunately now cancelled). So I picked a cheap tire to try as well as be retro and different and make up the cost of buying 16" rims to give me more tire choices in the future.

I looked at Interco’s line-up of tall & skinnys, if I am not mistaken they were $400 a piece ! Not even radials. Somewhere on this site I had heard horror :eek: stories of how those bias tires rode. Hard up an empty handed I decided to buy ‘em anyway. Then low and behold....their 17 inchers are 13.5 wide. CHECKMATE for me ! The party’s was over !

Crazy you mention problems with availability too, yet
@Rankle40 mentions they’re practically tripping over tall & skinnys in the Philippines, not to mention having a selection there ...to boot !

Last edited:
I looked at Interco’s line-up of tall & skinnys, if I am not mistaken they were $400 a piece ! Not even radials. Somewhere on this site I had heard horror :eek: stories of how those bias tires rode. Hard up an empty handed I decided to buy ‘em anyway. Then low and behold....their 17 inchers are 13.5 wide. CHECKMATE for me ! The party’s was over !

Crazy you mention problems with availability too, yet
@Rankle40 mentions they’re practically tripping over tall & skinnys in the Philippines, not to mention having a selection there ...to boot !
Most vehicles off roading in SE Asia run off a 4cyl diesel. There is plenty of opportunity for challenging 4wd driving on endless dirt roads in bad condition when exploring/touring the rural parts of the country. Tall skinny is good for that. They have more legitimate need for off road tires in the PI than we do in the US.
Some people are really picky about their cars. Swampers ride and sound like mud tires. The bigger and wider the more you feel and hear. Buying swampers and then complaining about the noise is like buying a big block V8 truck because you want the power and then complaining about how much fuel it burns.
I have heard tales of people who couldn't get swampers to balance. That was not my experience with them.

Found some rims. Old school. 17 X 8’s. They’ll do...price was right at $147 per rim. (Speedway.com)

39EF71E4-F172-4D5B-BEE2-F9C0DEF6C5D0.jpeg

Sorry it’s taking me so long to mount ‘em & size ‘em up. I’m busy building a new shed for my truck. Old 14 X 4 inch bridge planks sure came in handy !

4667EEAE-90FE-4F1C-8E77-B312D6E6DE36.jpeg

After a 9 year complete makeover she’s finally home again...(last time I drove it was in the ‘90’s ! ) I’m an old “geezer” now...:oops: ...! But a happy old geezer...though !!! :rofl: Can’t wait to put that 5.3 smallblock to work, those Kenda Kleevers (35 X 10.5 X 17R’s) ought to make it a real challenge to STEP UP inside !

EB48F9EA-CE7B-45B6-B1AD-F1AF45688C43.jpeg

The tires that were on it were just “sluffs” so it was moveable, 31 inches tall, still she sits 7ft. at the tallest point on the “headache” rack. Ended up tearing off my garage door trim at the top as I eased her inside !

I will have to let air out so it won’t be so close next time. So there she sits until I get the new shed built. It will have an 8 ft. opening. Worth the wait.
👍

Last edited:
Well....looks as though we’ve been lied to again. The seller stamps 35 on the side of the tire, but they are NOWHERE NEAR 35 inches !
Aired up at 32 p.s.i. these Kenda Kleevers don’t even measure up to 34 let alone 35’s !! They come in just a tad UNDER 33.75 inch !!!

What a rip-off !! :mad: A full inch and a quarter under what they really are ! (@wngrog...Nolen was right !). Yes it’s just like I said earlier in this thread...the consumer is sold bags of potatoe chips full of air and 4 chips in ‘em. :censor: The only thing that can kill Capitalism is...
GREED !! The only silver lining in these tires,for me personally, is that they don’t protrude beyond my rear fender flares....for me, this is a +plus+

But the tape doesn’t LIE !!

30D89A0A-F196-4259-BEE9-F505FC6DAAC2.jpeg

By the way, triple-ply sidewalls... tire alone is 70 lbs. with rim 91 lbs..

9D0BF194-B954-4CB5-A102-2300D8853BB0.jpeg

love those 10.5’s ...👍
FF4968F4-103D-4EBD-A6C9-F7881451B033.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty much all manufacturers measure tires the same way... max designated PSI, no weight on it, measured from highest point to lowest point..... crown to crown. Measure again.

Pretty much all manufacturers measure tires the same way... max designated PSI, no weight on it, measured from highest point to lowest point..... crown to crown. Measure again.
No weight on them !? But even if I took’em off, they’ll never grow 1.25 inches taller....ya know ?

They even specify how much the tire has to be inflated before measuring... something like 12-24 hrs. "35x10.5R17" is the category, not the specification. Specifications are as follows....

If you can prove differently, you would certainly have a case... even a class action lawsuit. Free tires for everyone that purchased them....

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 1.43.21 PM.png

They even specify how much the tire has to be inflated before measuring... something like 12-24 hrs. "35x10.5R17" is the category, not the specification. Specifications are as follows....

If you can prove differently, you would certainly have a case... even a class action lawsuit. Free tires for everyone that purchased them....

View attachment 2371955

Maybe but some are so far off it’s stupid.

Well....looks as though we’ve been lied to again. The seller stamps 35 on the side of the tire, but they are NOWHERE NEAR 35 inches !
Aired up at 32 p.s.i. these Kenda Kleevers don’t even measure up to 34 let alone 35’s !! They come in just a tad UNDER 33.75 inch !!!

What a rip-off !! :mad: A full inch and a quarter under what they really are ! (@wngrog...Nolan was right !). Yes it’s just like I said earlier in this thread...the consumer is sold bags of potatoe chips full of air and 4 chips in ‘em. :censor: The only thing that can kill Capitalism is...
GREED !! The only silver lining in these tires,for me personally, is that they don’t protrude beyond my rear fender flares....for me, this is a +plus+

But the tape doesn’t LIE !!

View attachment 2371910

View attachment 2371921
love those 10.5’s ...👍
View attachment 2371923

They look great though

They look great though

I don’t doubt what you’re saying at all. The majority of people who would look at the “category” markings on the tire are unaware of “tire science.” Most would think that they’re buying a 35 inch tall tire. How much LEEWAY is allowed in each of the “categories?” Is there a limit to how much WE, the consumer, are allowed to be deceived ? Is it like...anything over 33.5 inches falls in the “35 inch category.” Anything 35.5 inches falls in the “37 inch category etc.? Do you know ?

View attachment 2371955

The strid got me interested so I went out and measured my tires:
My tirecappers extra grip retreads were advertised as 32". On the web page it States minimum recommended 65 PSI. I called them before I bought the tires because I did not want to run 65 PSI and I was assured I could run lower pressures. At 30 PSI sitting on the truck with weight on it my tires are 30 and 7/8 inches tall.
If I measure the diameter sideways instead of bottom to top with it sitting on the car it's 32 1/4".
If you measure your tires both ways I think you'll get a number that's closer to 35.if you inflate them to maximum pressure printed on the side of the tire, jack up that wheel measure the circumference of the tire at centerline / 3.14 should give you 35.

The tires do look good on your truck.

Well for those still looking for the tall skinny tires you can get the Badak Xtreme in the US now. I have one of the first sets. They are being distributed through a company called tire streets. If you get them from tire streets tell them you saw them on here. These things are sick though. ! I’m mounting them tomorrow on factory FJ80 wheels to go under my 80. These are the 35x10.50s compared to my 36” iroks but the badaks are unmounted with no weight on them so we will see how they sit Once they are on the truck. They still have the metric size on the side though and when you do the calculations it comes out to almost a 36” tire. I’m going to make a separate post about them later this weekend with more details though.

EE73A857-31CA-44F6-9D59-BD5DE0D5E7B6.jpeg

5EE66157-E222-4951-86D1-962EA03EA6B6.jpeg

Well for those still looking for the tall skinny tires you can get the Badak Xtreme in the US now. I have one of the first sets. They are being distributed through a company called tire streets. If you get them from tire streets tell them you saw them on here. These things are sick though. ! I’m mounting them tomorrow on factory FJ80 wheels to go under my 80. These are the 35x10.50s compared to my 36” iroks but the badaks are unmounted with no weight on them so we will see how they sit Once they are on the truck. They still have the metric size on the side though and when you do the calculations it comes out to almost a 36” tire. I’m going to make a separate post about them later this weekend with more details though.

View attachment 2405258

View attachment 2405259
WoW !! I wish I would’ve held out for those ! Those are killer L👀K-ing chunkmeister’s ! Can’t wait to hear your report !
Do ya mind telling us the costs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom