Tall skinny tires (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yessir, and considering the 200 is a heavy pig I am sure it will get some squish down close to 34. I need to find a flat spot to measure them now that they are mounted. I will try to roll out the spare that is in the garage to compare as well.

Just put them on a couple days ago, so far they are decent though.

I happened to be moving from the 18's with 33's to these 17's with the Kenda's so the rig feels rather different. There is more sidewall movement but not bad. I am still also playing with pressures etc so its a bit early to tell, and havent had them on the highway yet.

I will be doing a quick dirt trip this weekend for some more testing which will include some higher speeds on the way.

Where did you get them from? Someplace local or did you order online?

STA Super Traxion Tread E LT9.00/--16

Size​
UTQG​
Max. Load​
Inflation Pressure​
Tread Depth​
Rim Width Range​
Sect. Width​
Tread Width​
Overall Diam​
LT9.00/--16​
0​
3,030 lbs​
50 psi​
21/32nds​
7"​
10"​
N/A​
36"​

Quick update on the Kenda's after the weekend.

They handled the trail great. Good traction on loose dirt / shale and high angles. Didnt have much slickrock to test on but based on how they felt I assume they will do well.

For the highway portion I found them to be well quieter than my worn Ridge Grappler that I removed, stable at speed.

They drove the sweeping twisting roads to our spot well once I got used to the truck movement on the larger sidewall tire.

Hey all,
I wanted to get some expert opinions on this before I start making any purchases. I am looking at getting some 16"OEM steelies for my 62. As far as all-terrain tires go, what are my options? The BFG K02 in 235/85 seems to be the most common choice, but are there alternatives? I am trying to keep the sidewall clean and really stay true to the 'tall and skinny' philosophy. Is a 255/85 too tall on stock FJ62 suspension?

Thanks everyone!

I just asked about these on chat before realizing there was an ongoing discussion about tall skinnies.

Does anyone have any real world experience with these - cough - bias tires...?

STA Super Traxion Tread E LT9.00/--16

Size​
UTQG​
Max. Load​
Inflation Pressure​
Tread Depth​
Rim Width Range​
Sect. Width​
Tread Width​
Overall Diam​
LT9.00/--16​
0​
3,030 lbs​
50 psi​
21/32nds​
7"​
10"​
N/A​
36"​

I just asked about these on chat before realizing there was an ongoing discussion about tall skinnies.

Does anyone have any real world experience with these - cough - bias tires...?
You mean there was “life” before radials....? :oops:

16in rims from @Racer65. Used for some rock crawling and desert sand dunes. The tires are from an online trailer supply store, however, the tires purchased are for "light truck" applications.

Get them HERE..... Available for 15in and 16in rims. Ply ratings are either 8, 10, and 14. Tires are in 7.0x15 or 7.50x16

They were what I thought the closets to OEM design available in the USA. Bias ply tires and they ride very quiet and super smooth. Can't hear the notorious bias ply "humming" on these. I use to run 7.0x15 power kings with aggressive tread. Big difference. Feels like driving on radials now.
IMG_20191206_143357.jpg

IMG_20191205_152010.jpg

The dreaded tire discussion... i'm sure they make different types of tires only to suit different kinds of people.

I have all 7.50 x 16. Yokohama and Michelin XZL, both are old tires, no longer produced. As might have been noted here, the new BFG KM3 is actually orderable in Canada as a 7.50R16. I would buy those if I needed them.

First, whats the "ideal" size?

For me? 18.4x16.1, RW2

I guess some others might have different thoughts.

Oh... wait... just what rig and what use and what part of the world are we talking about here? ;)

Mark...

Is the only difference between 7.50x16 and 235/85/16 the rim width they can be mounted on? I do not have a soft spot for bias tires in this radial age. My 235's look "too skinny" according to my better half:rofl::rolleyes:

255/85r16 Toyo OpenCountry Mud Terrain on an 16x7. They drive great.

8F0F5A0C-C1A2-4183-B1E2-C32BA311CA00.jpeg

F390F739-05FC-4420-B9AB-30216ED4CC85.jpeg

5D7C261E-B468-425E-83C2-14954887377E.jpeg

I can’t decide on whether to go 235 or 255 on my 40. I ordered some FJ Company wheels, made by Braid (The FJCO Expedition Wheels (6 Lug)). I’m going with OME 2” lift. I think I remember reading somewhere the 235’s aren’t as tall as the 255. I’m really concerned with a tire coming in to contact with a fender. But then again I don’t know if that is even possible with the said lift. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom