Tall skinny tires (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Post up some good pics when you get them on, I have a 2nd Gen Tacoma and am leaning towards a 235 KO2 to replace my 265 Hankooks.

This thread has gotten off in the weeds a bit but since you asked.

tmp-cam-3488571893810280945.jpg

tmp-cam-1149918113933977495.jpg

2002 Tundra steelies powder coated RAL 7000 "Squirrel Gray". Def feel the extra mass on braking. Initial test drive at 40 psi they're a little coarse. Will drop down to 32 and see how they do.

Rather than get off topic I'll start a thread in Tools and link here. Give me a bit.

What size tires? Is the wheel flat or glossy?
Are you able to put some O.E.M. hubcaps on those “steelies ?”

Tires are Cooper S/T Maxx 235/85/16. The paint is glossy but I'm a powder coat newb so the finish isn't 100% consistent.

There is no provision for hubcaps. I'm going to do a manual hub conversion anyway and I wanted the retro look like my 82 truck.

And for the record they are exactly as advertised on 7" wide rims - 31.8". Gave an even 1" lift to the truck over stock.

You guys realize that if you go taller in height you have to do one of two things. Increase rim diam or width of tire to make it stable. A 37 10.50 17 would be so sloppy unless you kept 80 psi in it, it would be all over the place, too much sidewall flex and would fall over on itself. You can get a tire close to that size but you have to bump the rim up to a 19.5 or 22.5 to make it stable. Look at big rigs. As cool as it sound it is not going to happen. BFG had come out with a 35 11.50 15 for the the super light rail cars, but they are non-dot only.

You guys realize that if you go taller in height you have to do one of two things. Increase rim diam or width of tire to make it stable. A 37 10.50 17 would be so sloppy unless you kept 80 psi in it, it would be all over the place, too much sidewall flex and would fall over on itself. You can get a tire close to that size but you have to bump the rim up to a 19.5 or 22.5 to make it stable. Look at big rigs. As cool as it sound it is not going to happen. BFG had come out with a 35 11.50 15 for the the super light rail cars, but they are non-dot only.

I disagree. Yes, you will loose some stability cornering on the street, but I don't think it is dramatic as you are portraying. For example, look at the old Q75's. That is a bias 36" tire on a 15" rim and only 10" wide...

Furthermore, I'm not going to treat my '85 pickup like a 911 in the corners. I'm willing to give up a sight bit of stability in the corners (because it is already crappy) to have the benefits of a tall skinny tire off road.

Is that inflated off the rig ? :smokin:
If so....that’s not bad, you’ll lose a bit more height when it’s on the rig.
Yessir, and considering the 200 is a heavy pig I am sure it will get some squish down close to 34. I need to find a flat spot to measure them now that they are mounted. I will try to roll out the spare that is in the garage to compare as well.

How do they handle? I want to put these on my LX470.
Just put them on a couple days ago, so far they are decent though.

I happened to be moving from the 18's with 33's to these 17's with the Kenda's so the rig feels rather different. There is more sidewall movement but not bad. I am still also playing with pressures etc so its a bit early to tell, and havent had them on the highway yet.

I will be doing a quick dirt trip this weekend for some more testing which will include some higher speeds on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom