Tall / Skinny Spare - What will fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All - I have 35x12.5 BFG MT KM2s on my 80. Clearly the stock spare won't cut it, but I'm not a fan of adding a full size - at least not a full width spare tire. They are big. And heavy.

I was thinking of getting one really narrow tire to make my own space saver spare that would still be useful to get me off the trail and back to civilization in a pinch. It would need to work on mud, rocks, and pavement, but not forever.

The tire I'm considering is the Super Swamper TSL 34 x 9.5 x 16.5. Does anyone know if that would fit a stock 80 wheel? What's up with the 16.5" wheel diameter? Is 9.5 too narrow for our wheels?

I don't love Super Swampers, but can't find many other options in near 35" diameter, but narrow width.

Check out 255/85/16s they are essentially a 33.5 x 10
They will fit a stock 8" wide wheel.
If you really want pizza cutters check out 900R/16s they are 36 x 10s
You can also run 235/85/16 (32x9) on the stock 8" rim without issues.

Qball has a 35" spare under his rig. He raised the spare mount with spacers and it tucks up nicely. You may want to give him a holler to get the specs

The nice thing about a full sized spare is that, if you do get a flat, you won't have to end your day to limp it out. I am of the understanding that all tires must be very close in size so you don't over heat and then seize the viscous coupler.

I'll be finding out what fits as well as I'm wanting a close as possible spare and I'm also running the 35x12.50 km2's. I'll post when I get something... good thread, I'm sure others are wondering what can actually fit :)

I haven't found the perfect tire yet. Ideally, I'd want a 35" diameter to prevent driveline damage, but narrow like 9.5 or 10 so I can carry it along under or on top of the truck without taking up so much room.

No winners yet. Especially not at a reasonable price.

Here is what it looks like or how it tuck with ajik spare lift kit(highly recommended).
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432092728.394199.jpg

Wow - thanks for the link! I haven't found useful info about tires like that before. I think, based on that site, I'm going to go with the Swamper 34x9x16, which will have 597 revolutions per mile compared to my BFG KM2s, that have 598 revolutions per mile. Can't get much closer than that!

AJIK tire lift kit ordered.....

The beauty of going a little taller on a skinny tire is that you can air down and get close on the foot print. But fully matching would be better for the road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom