Tall skinny research 255-85-16 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cooper is showing that the S/T Maxx in 255/85r16 isn't available until August. What are some others to look for?
I called my local Tire Kingdom and Discount Tire, they both said there is currently nothing in that size for AT tires.

I'd prefer to have an AT rather than MT because I do long family car trips in the LC and don't want the noise of an MT.

I don't want to go with another set of 285, I feel that they're too wide. On many roads in my city there are rut-like depressions in the asphalt, and the wide tires like to grab these and pull me from one side or the other. I had the same issue with an old sports car I had, something about a certain axle width and tire width, makes it look like I'm driving drunk on these roads.
My offroading is mainly driving on deep soft sand, so anything chunkier than street tire will be fine for that.

Last edited:
Cooper is showing that the S/T Maxx in 255/85r16 isn't available until August. What are some others to look for?
I called my local Tire Kingdom and Discount Tire, they both said there is currently nothing in that size for AT tires.

I'd prefer to have an AT rather than MT because I do long family car trips in the LC and don't want the noise of an MT.

I don't want to go with another set of 285, I feel that they're too wide. On many roads in my city there are rut-like depressions in the asphalt, and the wide tires like to grab these and pull me from one side or the other. I had the same issue with an old sports car I had, something about a certain axle width and tire width, makes it look like I'm driving drunk on these roads.
My offroading is mainly driving on deep soft sand, so anything chunkier than street tire will be fine for that.
I loved the 255's I had. They were the PERFECT size.... but like you, I wanted an AT and the ST Maxx is as close to an AT that you will find in a 255. I settled with 285's since there was no other choice.

I loved the 255's I had. They were the PERFECT size.... but like you, I wanted an AT and the ST Maxx is as close to an AT that you will find in a 255. I settled with 285's since there was no other choice.
I'll probably end up doing the same, rather than going with MTs.
Go 17”. There’s a few a/t 255/80’s available.
That would be cool, but unfortunately new wheels aren't in the budget.

edit: I ended up going with 265/75R-16 Falken WildPeak A/T3

Last edited:
For those running 255/85’s, who is running spacers and who is not? I’m also assuming no rubbing with spacers?

For those running 255/85’s, who is running spacers and who is not? I’m also assuming no rubbing with spacers?

You shouldnt get any rubbing either way...not a large tire. Clunky had shown so in May as you might recall.

To those running spacers with 255's, such as @Clunky How big is the difference in handling and road manners? Also is there any concern of tire to fender contact? I wouldn't think so but curious. Thanks

I did not encounter any rubbing issues when I was running spacers.

As an FYI, I'm no longer running spacers because I bought the wrong kind (they weren't hub centric). The spacers I purchased are still advertised for 98+Land Cruisers on the just differentials web site, so don't buy there! I sent multiple requests and attempted to reach customer service in different ways without ever getting a response. Do not shop at www.justdifferentials.com !

Unforturately problems with justdifferentials is a common thing among these forums.

Thanks much. Still just wishing one tire manufacturer would offer an AT in this size.

You shouldnt get any rubbing either way...not a large tire. Clunky had shown so in May as you might recall.
I need to get my life together. Can’t even remember answers to my own questions. Jeez. Thanks much

A question for those who have ran 255’s and then switched to another size. Are you happy with the new size? Do you miss the 255’s? This would be so much easier if a company would offer an AT in 255.

A question for those who have ran 255’s and then switched to another size. Are you happy with the new size? Do you miss the 255’s? This would be so much easier if a company would offer an AT in 255.
I still love the 255s and plan to stick with them, so I can't offer any opinion on your first question. Regarding your second point about ATs in 255, I'm planning on upgrading to a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs in 255/85R17 on a set of Rock Warriors. They are an aggressive AT, but definitely not an MT. They're also a step up to nearly 35" with all of the benefits of the pizza cutter profile.

1663682652378.png

I still love the 255s and plan to stick with them, so I can't offer any opinion on your first question. Regarding your second point about ATs in 255, I'm planning on upgrading to a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs in 255/85R17 on a set of Rock Warriors. They are an aggressive AT, but definitely not an MT. They're also a step up to nearly 35" with all of the benefits of the pizza cutter profile.

View attachment 3119330
I really like the idea of that size. However. I really don’t want to buy new wheels. But maybe it is worth it in the long run.

View attachment 3119330

That is a very cool size. What width spacer will you run?

Last edited:
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx is an A/T that’s available in a 255/85R16.
It seems that when this tire is mentioned in threads it considered a MT. It would be my choice if I go with this size. Thanks @JunkCrzr89

Are you by chance running these? I see they are 10ply and wonder how rough the ride is. Thanks
I run these and like them. Have an LX with properly functioning AHC and messed with the tire pressure a little based on what is in my car. I don't think the ride is rough at all, but my idea of rough may be skewed from my other cars. Will purchase them again when these wear out.

Are you by chance running these? I see they are 10ply and wonder how rough the ride is. Thanks
I put 40k miles on a set and the ride was never rough. Having run 10 ply tires on all my Toyotas since 2006, I think the complaints that people have about roughness are directly correlated with them running 10-ply tires at the wrong (too high) pressures. Chalk test for the ST MAXX resulted in me running them at 29 psi on the pavement.

It seems that when this tire is mentioned in threads it considered a MT.
Most certainly not an MT. Not even close lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom