Tall Skinnies on an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I run 33X9.5 AT's on my 60 and love them. Does anyone run something similiar on their 80 or is the 80 just too heavy? Any pics? yes I searched first.

i saw a thread on this before, with lots of pictures, it all depends on the wheeling you do really, i personally dont care for the look, but there is a rig on here with 38/11.00/16 boggers

I have 38x11.00-16s on 16x8 rail ready beadlocks and like the setup works great for my kind of wheeling

255/85 R16s are probably the most popular skinny tire choice for 80s. Do a search for them or "pizza cutters" to see lots of pics and opinions. You might also check out the expedition forum, as this is a common topic.

I have 255/85's on my 80 and like them. My fuel economy ranges as high as 18 mpg on summer fuel, speeds never above 65mph.
Kelly Safari MSR's I bought them used and 2 spares (Dean SXT)came with that actually measure 1.2 inches narrower even though they are 255/85's as well. A lot of discrepancy among tire manufacturers I guess. I do not have spacers and really like the size because it gave me altitude without sacrificial mpg's.

I run 33X9.5 AT's on my 60 and love them. Does anyone run something similiar on their 80 or is the 80 just too heavy? Any pics? yes I searched first.

I have often wondered about this too. I currently have 31x10.5x15s an when they wear out was considering the 33x9.5s. Be interesting to hear from someone that went this route.

There is a thread about this very subject over on the expedition forum. I will be running 9.00 x 16 STA Superlugs on my 79 pick-up re-bodied 80 series. They are 36" tall and 9.5" tread width.
IMG_2521.jpg
Tires 2.jpg

I have been thinking of doing the skinny tire thing on my 80, just to try and help with the mileage. I have not completely made up my mind on this, but if I do, I will be using Cooper STs, siped, as they have worked well as a snow and mud tire here in Idaho.

I had a tyre blow out on my way to work yesterday morning and didn't notice till they were shredded, that was a bastard..

Anyhow, I went to the tyre place and was able to buy just one Bridgestone Dueller A/T 16", same as the rest!
I thought about buying some mud tyres, but thought to myself 'man, you go through some real boggy stuff and how many times have you been bogged?' NONE. Bottom line for me is, I like the A/T tyres I already have. Just sayin' sorry to hijack.

There is a thread about this very subject over on the expedition forum. I will be running 9.00 x 16 STA Superlugs on my 79 pick-up re-bodied 80 series. They are 36" tall and 9.5" tread width.

I like these, they have an oldschool military feel to them :)

I have been running the 255 KM2's for two years. I went to them to see if the narrower tire would improve gas mileage and lighter weight might improve power. I didn't really see much difference. I did notice a big change in handling the first week. The narrower tire was much more likely to be moved by variations in the road than the wider tire was. I'm totally used to it now and don't notice it at all, but I remember it being a big change when I first swapped. I think it has been a good experiment but probably going back to the 285's or probably 315's next time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom