tall narrow tire pics please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders,
I'm looking for some pictures of your 80 with larger size tires, but a narrow width to see how the look is.
i am thinking about replacing my tires for a larger size so that the rpm's come down a touch on the long distance travels, but don't kill the torque or power band, hence the narrow tire inquiry.
By the way, re-gearing is not an option for me right now.
Cheers,

what type of tires are you thinking? AT or MT or ? The overall diameter is what your engine will be working against, but your right the smaller contact patch will lessen rolling resistance and traction. Im not sure youll see great improvements in MPG or not but youll get your drop in RPM. Oh yeah are you lifted? There are some cool tall skinny options out there from the 255, 235, 215 /85's to the 33 x 10.5 or the Q78 (35x10.5) ive seen on 80s. And the 295's as well at a 34 1/4.

a good start but not specific to the pizza cutters....
other tall/skinny threads IH8MUD.com Forum - Search Results
Q78's on 5'' lift IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - Before and After Pics
Q78's on 2.5 lift IH8MUD.com Forum - Search Results
FAQ https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...choices-renamed-not-confuse-other-thread.html
FAQ https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/114057-tire-right-me-faq-tire-information.html

doh ignore the q78's then if your not lookin knobby.

Last edited:
hey, i'm looking for really any kind of tire.. semi-aggressive would be great, nothing fully crawling worthy, since this is my DD.
I do have a 2.5" lift so accomodating 35's should be ok. I am running a diesel too, so i just would like to get my RPMS down a touch to save on economy and the life of the engine.

38.5x11 Bogger----not exactly what you were looking for, but you said tall and narrow

n512484513_432001_3427.jpg

The 35x10.50 ssr's would suit a DD/trail truck nice.

I have the SSRs as trail tires for my 80 with a 2.5 inch lift. Full articulation with no rubbing. Did not seem too bad power-wise cruising up the mountains with a full load. Run 295R75 ATs on the street for better mileage and slightly better handling since the sidewall is not as tall.

David Sword

A picture
P6240121.JPG

I run Michelin 255/100R16 XZL tyres. They are tall and narrow. They work out to be about 36.5" diameter and 9" wide.

xzl-1.JPG

xzl-2.JPG

xzl-3.JPG
xzl-1.JPG
xzl-2.JPG
xzl-3.JPG

Here's a comparison of two super swampers. 36 x 12.5R16 TSL radial on the FZJ80 vs. 37 x 13.5R15 IROK radial on the FJ40. They measure out at about the same height. The tread width of the TSL radial is quite a bit narrower. 9 inches verses 11 inches at the tread.

swamper_compare.jpg

The contact patch is determined by truck weight and tire pressure. It has nothing to with tire width/diameter.

Well, that's not entirely true. A 6" wide tire will never have the contact patch of a 12" wide tire.

Well, that's not entirely true. A 6" wide tire will never have the contact patch of a 12" wide tire.

Actually it will. A 4,000 lb car/truck with evenly distributed weight has 1,000 lbs on each tire sitting on flat level ground. If the tire pressure is 25 psi, the contact patch has to be 1,000 divided by 25 which is 40 sq.-in. A narrow tire with a 4-inch wide tread would have a contact patch that is 10-inch long, a tire with a 8-inch wide tread needs a 5-inch long patch. The width of a tire changes the shape of the contact patch, not the size.

The contact patch is determined by truck weight and tire pressure. It has nothing to with tire width/diameter.

I realize some people enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing,
but to say width has nothing to do with the size of a contact
patch is ridiculous...

Actually it will. A 4,000 lb car/truck with evenly distributed weight has 1,000 lbs on each tire sitting on flat level ground. If the tire pressure is 25 psi, the contact patch has to be 1,000 divided by 25 which is 40 sq.-in. A narrow tire with a 4-inch wide tread would have a contact patch that is 10-inch long, a tire with a 8-inch wide tread needs a 5-inch long patch. The width of a tire changes the shape of the contact patch, not the size.

I think this is similar to the ideal gas law....works great, if we could only find an ideal gas. In the real world, there is integral resistance from the construction of the tire itself and I submit that different tire constructions, of the same size, would have different tire patches (not sure where that term came from but I'll go with the flow) given the same vehicle and tire pressure. I would also say that in the real world, given that tires aren't perfectly elastic, width and sidewall heigth (aka diameter) matter. Furthermore, I think the tire patch, as calculated above, would always measure smaller in the real world.

Now in an ideal world, with perfectly elastic tires, you might be right.

I realize some people enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing,
but to say width has nothing to do with the size of a contact
patch is ridiculous...

Sorry, I'm not trying to argue nor offend. This is a technical forum and my response seemed appropriate? Is it not?

So, let me correct myself to be clear and not to argue. The width of a tire has nothing to do with the AREA (i.e., size) of the contact patch. The width will affect the shape of the contact patch.

the discussion of a theoretical "infinitely elastic" tire where the
weight of the vehicle is born entirely by air pressure and none of
the weight is born mechanically by the tire's side wall or carcass
doesn't strike me as being of much use in the real world...

Sorry, I'm not trying to argue nor offend. This is a technical forum and my response seemed appropriate? Is it not?

So, let me correct myself to be clear and not to argue. The width of a tire has nothing to do with the AREA (i.e., size) of the contact patch. The width will affect the shape of the contact patch.

Take a look at this link regarding contact patch size. It seems that what is on paper doesn't always jive with real world results.

Fact or Fiction? Tire contact patch and air pressure.

"Contact patch pressure is constant and equal to air pressure? No, not even close."

"Wide tires have a greater contact area? From this data it appears very likely. Which would mean the "wide tires are softer and therefore give more grip" argument is bunk. The contact patch is bigger, and the contact patch pressure is lower. Avon has several sets of tire data available. Feel free to do your own analysis on any of the other tires. It appears likely from looking at this data is that if lateral sidewall deflection were included, the contact patch size might change by a rather small amount when the load is doubled in a typical operating range. The contact patch certainly does NOT get twice as long and the contact patch size certainly doesn't double. The above tables show the absolute limit to how much the length and areas could increase. In reality the changes must be even less."

I am an avid cyclist and this topic comes up about bicycle tires as well, the pro racers try to gain every advantage they can down to the gram and spend hours in wind tunnels to maximize their aerodynamics. Anyway there is the same argument about wider bicycle tires or narrower and the same is found as the above post, it seems a narrow tire has a longer footprint and a wide tire has a wider footprint but both are roughly equal. The pro's don't run the really narrow tire so this should tell you something.
I am in the process of buying new tires and was considering narrow tires until I read this thread, it reminded me of the bicycle tires, now I am not sure what I am going to do!
Rusty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom