Tall guys with no leg room... help me out (potential seat rail extender fix) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, i'm a long time lurker that just took the plunge into a very minty nautical blue 08 GX. i love this thing in almost every way aside from the abysmal leg room situation for the driver. i'm 6'4" with long legs, and regardless of how high, low, tilted, lumber supported i decide to go with my seating position, longer drives in this thing result in misery.

i stupidly assumed when i picked this thing up that buying seat rail extenders would be no problem, but it seems like my options are limited (if not nonexistent).

i'd prefer not to go the custom route if possible, but the only option i've come across is these:
Toyota 4Runner (2003-2008) Seat Brackets

which, based on this other listing, seem to fit the prado as well:

my searching about the feasibility of this fix has lead me to this series of posts:

it's also lead me to these install instructions:

i'm considering taking the plunge, but before i do so, i just wanted to see if anyone else has attempted this little project. the seat itself should fit, but i'm not familiar enough with any of these platforms to know whether or not the 4runner/prado and the gx all share the same floor pan.

what do you guys think?

Just emailed the company, will let you know what they say...

sounds like a plan. my guess is that since it's kind of a generic company that they will just say "it doesn't fit" because their database does not even include a gx470.

i feel like someone has had to figure out some sort of solution for these trucks though, because the legroom is absolutely laughable. my 08 VW R32 had so much legroom that i legitimately had to slide the seat forward in that thing... and that was a 2 door hatchback with a very usable back seat and trunk.

i just live chatted extendmyseat.com and was told this:

"Unfortunately I can't confirm this, the brackets are designed to work for specific models and years and there are no exceptions on this. "

and

"To my knowledge, they would not work on any other model or year outside the ones stated."

Dan/Vlad is rather tall and he seems happy with the ScheelMann seat he got.....maybe an entire replacement is in order.

I re-found the conversation over at the 4runner forum. Someone swapped in a GX seat and stated it was a direct bolt in. If the GX seat is a direct fit, and the seat extender fits a 4runner, it only makes sense the seat extender fits the GX...
Screenshot_20191021-113511.jpg

Dan/Vlad is rather tall and he seems happy with the ScheelMann seat he got.....maybe an entire replacement is in order.

not gonna lie, i'd most likely just sell the GX before dumping a whole bunch of cash into a new seat (seats because i'm kind of ocd about asymmetrical things, haha).

I re-found the conversation over at the 4runner forum. Someone swapped in a GX seat and stated it was a direct bolt in. If the GX seat is a direct fit, and the seat extender fits a 4runner, it only makes sense the seat extender fits the GX...View attachment 2112650

those are my thoughts... and furthermore, the seat extenders are returnable if they don't fit, so i'll probably end up taking the plunge and seeing what happens.

I have had those Extend My Seat Brackets on a Prius and a CRV so far and if I could get them for a Vehicle that I have now I would in a heartbeat!

When I had a 4runner they did not offer them for it so this is what I would consider great news!

I will also say that I drove a few 4runners with manual seats and they all have more leg room than the electric seat models do for some idiotic reason?

The Prius was a 5 minute install but the CRV took a while and involved some cutting but worked out in the end.

I wish these would also get me some extra height and I would try them in the Element.

Prado WILL fit the GX on the floor no problem. The seat though? 🤷‍♂️. I did the SM and they are amazing. The thigh support alone!

Planted technologies can make anything you want and have a GX template.

SM look good though...

6956F341-F23A-40E3-9153-B2F4419EDAF2.jpeg

Prado WILL fit the GX on the floor no problem. The seat though? 🤷‍♂️. I did the SM and they are amazing. The thigh support alone!

Planted technologies can make anything you want and have a GX template.

SM look good though...

View attachment 2112747

dan, i ordered rail extenders, but i do agree that the gx seats kind of suck for tall guys (they seem to be about 33% too small).

those SM seats do look pretty fantastic. which model are those, and what options did you spec? i was fiddling around on their site before, and they get pricey, quickly.

Those are Vario F XXLs with heaters. All manual otherwise.

Update... the seat extenders from the 4runner/prado absolutely, 100% do not fit in the gx. The trans tunnel is in the way, as is the ecu wiring. There's no slack in the wiring, and they're covered by a big plastic piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom