Tall Corn Cruisers-Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greg Overton

OK this is my installment. I'm Greg Overton. I live in Johnston, IA (burb of Des Moines) with my wife and three kids who have grown up in FJ40's. I'm not much into hard core wheeling because all the Land Cruisers I've had are so damned nice I would feel like crap if I screwed them up. Plus, I'm not a great driver when it comes to hard trails. I would prefer to drive an old logging road accross a few shallow streams to a favorite fishing hole!

My passion with Land Cruiser's and FJ40's in particular is restoring these vehicles to their original condition. My quest is for the perfect late model FJ40 with A/C and Power Steering that is totally stock down to the Dunlop Snow Cruisers. I've seen and owned some pretty amazing rigs but as time goes on they continue to get harder and harder to find and more and more expensive. I actually just inpected and drove a 1980 White FJ40 with 6,500 original miles. The owner wanted $60,000 for the Cruiser. The Cruiser still smelled new inside! I've owned about 50 vehicles in the last 10 years and continue to hang on to the first FJ40 I ever bought. A 1978 Smurf Blue Cruiser with Saginaw PS. I bought it in Cheyenne WY in 1995 from an elderly couple named Getrude and Ollie. I have a website you can visit here:

http://web.mac.com/gregoverton/iWeb/HLC/About Us.html
Hi Greg, I live in Iowa City, but I currently began tracking down my old FJ60 I owned in college. It lives in Waukee or Johnston. I currently have been able to get my contact info to the owner via a carfax that showed where it was serviced. I was hoping to talk to him though Didnt know if by chance you see a steel blue 1987 FJ60 ever in your neck of the woods or potentially know the owner? Anyway Thanks JB

Hi Greg, I live in Iowa City, but I currently began tracking down my old FJ60 I owned in college. It lives in Waukee or Johnston. I currently have been able to get my contact info to the owner via a carfax that showed where it was serviced. I was hoping to talk to him though Didnt know if by chance you see a steel blue 1987 FJ60 ever in your neck of the woods or potentially know the owner? Anyway Thanks JB
Welcome, Sorry I dropped the ball on finding your old 60, I've been wrapped up in selling my 80's. @overton is a great person to check with, he is in the area and knows where almost all of them are in Iowa. Good Luck on your search. I'll add the picture you sent me.

FJ60.jpg

Welcome, Sorry I dropped the ball on finding your old 60, I've been wrapped up in selling my 80's. @overton is a great person to check with, he is in the area and knows where almost all of them are in Iowa. Good Luck on your search. I'll add the picture you sent me.

View attachment 2121075
No worries, this is such a great forum. If I ever do get it back it will be an awesome resource to bring it back to life. For reference this picture just represents the color, not actually the one I owned. Thanks everyone!

Does anyone in the club have a SST for centering knuckles that wants to loan it out? I've been talking with a fellow mudder from out-state who is willing to let me borrow his, but I thought I'd check here as well since ya'll are closer.

I'm just about to the point where I have everything I need to begin a full disc conversion. Anyone else tackle this project?

To begin I dropped some coin on a DD booster and FZJ80 MC from Racer65 and a JEGS Prop. valve.
I've got '80+ 60 knuckles for the front that I sourced last year in Colorado from Classic Cruisers, if your ever in SW Colorado near Poncha Springs I recommend stopping in to see these guys. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven! I finally got around to cleaning up all the parts (EVAPORUST from Home Depot is fantastic if you haven't tried this stuff yet!) and am in the process of painting them. As far as break components, I'm keeping only the calipers. I'm in the process of rebuilding these as I type this. I bought new rotors, pads and wheel studs from Rockauto.com. I sourced the axle rebuild kit, wheel bearings and backing plate eliminator kit from Marlin Crawler.

Next, I purchased new Aisin locking hubs to accommodate the 30 spline birfs from Cruiser Outfitters.

For the Rear I had already purchased an axle rebuild kit w/bearings from Cruiser Outfitters a couple years ago that I never got around to doing and I have been following this knuckle head on YouTube called ProjectWrongWay which gave me the idea to just go for the whole conversion. I sourced some brackets and rotors from Poser and sourced some Monti Calipers from RockAuto.

I figure I'll be parking the truck in the next couple weeks to get down to business. The only thing wracking my brain right now is sourcing the correct brake lines (which I think I have nailed) fittings, etc. to make the prop valve work and calipers tie into the existing hard lines.

Anyway, I hope all of you are well and finding some extra time to work on your rigs while spending more time at home!

Thanks,

Garrett

Good morning. What is a SST for centering knuckles?

Good morning. What is a SST for centering knuckles?
It is the tool for centering knuckles inorder to determine the correct shim stack that sits under the steer arm and bottom plate (they hold the trunnion bearings in place on the inside).

Hello again Tall Corn! You may remember me from a few years back. I made it to One of your events at MIOBI with my 01 Tacoma. I'm in the Quad Cities (IL side). Now that I'm back I look forward to meeting you all again.

John

Hello again Tall Corn! You may remember me from a few years back. I made it to One of your events at MIOBI with my 01 Tacoma. I'm in the Quad Cities (IL side). Now that I'm back I look forward to meeting you all again.

John
We're having a meeting this Saturday in Marshalltown if you can make it!

Not much action on here, but most of us are on Facebook if that's an option.

Michael here... NE of DSM a few miles. I'm on the search for an FJ40 at the moment. Currently have a 2010 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior and it's been a darned good vehicle.

I'd like to pick up a decent FJ40 as a daddy/daughter/son project. I'll probably do a small block swap, and depending on what year I end up with a series of various changes and upgrades... At least that is the plan. I budgeted a bit over $10K to pick up a suitable 'builder' and an additional $20K to bring it full circle. I've got plenty here for it already, so I might not use all my budget, but it certainly might happen. LOL... Something tells me I'll burn it up one way or another. I hope to do all the work myself, but you never know.

-M

Welcome Michael! Looking for a good 40 huh? How about with a matching camper?

View attachment 2646845

That's pretty nice. Real nice. Probably too nice. Unless you were prepared to offer it at a "bargain" I might not be your best buyer. I'm actually really looking forward to doing to work with my kids. My dad did that with me when I was a pup and built Studebakers together.

I'll admit freely though, I'm curious about your selling expectations. Feel free to message me if you'd like.

Again, that looks great. You must be very happy to own it!

Michael

That's pretty nice. Real nice. Probably too nice. Unless you were prepared to offer it at a "bargain" I might not be your best buyer. I'm actually really looking forward to doing to work with my kids. My dad did that with me when I was a pup and built Studebakers together.

I'll admit freely though, I'm curious about your selling expectations. Feel free to message me if you'd like.

Again, that looks great. You must be very happy to own it!

Michael

Nice to see you here! Looks like I've infected you with the LC virus. :)

Niels here. Farm kid from Cherokee County, now living in Milwaukee. Just bought a 78 FJ40 yesterday and starting from scratch. Not sure which direction I want to go. It's pretty stock and running well so maybe I'll live with it and see what it tells me about the world.
I also have an 07 GX470 that's unmodified. It handles gravel beautifully. Maybe I'll tow one behind the other and take turns.
Wrenches will turn, solder will smoke, knuckles will bleed, children will smile, wives eyes will roll.
Let me know what I need to know!!

Niels here. Farm kid from Cherokee County, now living in Milwaukee. Just bought a 78 FJ40 yesterday and starting from scratch. Not sure which direction I want to go. It's pretty stock and running well so maybe I'll live with it and see what it tells me about the world.
I also have an 07 GX470 that's unmodified. It handles gravel beautifully. Maybe I'll tow one behind the other and take turns.
Wrenches will turn, solder will smoke, knuckles will bleed, children will smile, wives eyes will roll.
Let me know what I need to know!!
Welcome! 78? Some people claim that is the best year of the 40"s. I am one of those people. Lets see some pictures or no one will believe you! LOL

Greetings. Don here from Garner, Iowa.

I have been a Toyota geek and a long time lurker while trying to find something I can afford and not drain the little savings I have. I finally found what I considered a good deal on a 01 LX470 from north of Rochester when fuel prices started to climb. It does have a bit of rust, but the frame and most of the bottom is in decent shape.

If only politics would allow Toyota to import diesel engines into North America, I think I would have a forever truck.

I finished with the timing belt/water pump replacement and most of the base line items and am ready for spring to see what is available for fun. The only recovery I have done is having my team being stuck in mud/snow etc.

I grew up in Cherokee County and now live in Hancock County. I am into armature radio with a call sign of W0WND and am a ARRL ARES Emergency Coordinator for Hancock and Winnebago Counties.

I have been fortunate to travel the US with construction on wind turbines but now am "semi-retired." My professional experience has given me hydraulic experience and I am into finding more information and diving into the AHC system.

I paid my dues to the TLCA and hope to see and meet ya'll at a meet or doing some trails.

Kind Regards,

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom