tall and skinny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello,

I would like to put tall and skinny tires on my FZJ. What size would look good with current stock suspension. I am planning on getting a 2 in OME lift in the future and still look good with the setup. This is not a wheeling rig and wil never be. It will go off road once in a while but I hope it will help my mileage a little by having skinny tires.

Thanks for your input

Ductape

clownmidget said:
255/85r16?
I second that.

BFG makes a MT in that size...could be they make other tread patterns too.

ductape said:
hello,

I would like to put tall and skinny tires on my FZJ. What size would look good with current stock suspension. I am planning on getting a 2 in OME lift in the future and still look good with the setup. This is not a wheeling rig and wil never be. It will go off road once in a while but I hope it will help my mileage a little by having skinny tires.

Thanks for your input

Ductape

in that case why even bother lifting it? :confused:

If mileage is your main concern, keep it as low as possible, and don't put any type of mud terrains, but instead go with something more like a highway or all terrain. I don't think taller tires will help your mileage, but you might see worse mileage especially in town.

Bryan E said:
If mileage is your main concern, keep it as low as possible, and don't put any type of mud terrains, but instead go with something more like a highway or all terrain. I don't think taller tires will help your mileage, but you might see worse mileage especially in town.

Great point. Now that i'm selling real estate, my truck is almost too big, almost. People, especially older folks often have a tough time getting up into mine. I'm thinking about getting another 80 for showing property and keeping it stock with running boards. Better gas mileage, less stress on drivetrain, no worries of driveline vibrations, better braking, better overall perfromance.

concretejungle said:
Great point. Now that i'm selling real estate, my truck is almost too big, almost. People, especially older folks often have a tough time getting up into mine. I'm thinking about getting another 80 for showing property and keeping it stock with running boards. Better gas mileage, less stress on drivetrain, no worries of driveline vibrations, better braking, better overall perfromance.

Im kindof leaning towards going back to stock tires after my 285/75's have given up the ghost

honestly - its only one extra inch of clearance (under the axle / diff) that a 33 inch tall 285/75 tire gives me over the 31 inch 275/70 tire.....

Rusty Phillips said:
Im kindof leaning towards going back to stock tires after my 285/75's have given up the ghost

honestly - its only one extra inch of clearance (under the axle / diff) that a 33 inch tall 285/75 tire gives me over the 31 inch 275/70 tire.....

It sure doesn't feel like just an inch when you have to step up. With the springs and larger tires i would imagine it should be closer to a 3 inch greater step up, at least.

see..........now your thinking ;) the day I brought the LX470 home(for Connie)........the running boards came off my lifted 2000 LC :D

but I have stuffed my clients(some of which were freinds) in everyone of my cruisers.........admitedly the fj40 is not the best to take a family of 4 out in.......but its been done ;)

yes a nice stock 80 series is a great RE rig.........but a 100 series is better.......alot more room in the back seat.......

concretejungle said:

Ductape,

Have you thought about 235/85/16? About 31.6" Tall and Skinny. Would give you more ground clearance and hopefully more gas mileage. They are about 9.5" wide. I am thinking the same way you are by the way. I am thinking of the Michelin LTXs in that size. The LTX are great road tires, and should be ok for minor off-roading.

Grouseman

Grouseman said:
Ductape,

Have you thought about 235/85/16? About 31.6" Tall and Skinny. Would give you more ground clearance and hopefully more gas mileage. They are about 9.5" wide. I am thinking the same way you are by the way. I am thinking of the Michelin LTXs in that size. The LTX are great road tires, and should be ok for minor off-roading.

Grouseman

Thats the size tire I run on my 1/2 Cab Bronco (10 ply) cooper stt. It has a 302 and 3.50 ratio diffs, NP 435 four speed. I think they are just about right, and the engine pulls them easily. I don't know how this compares to your rig but I like 'em.

Landpimp said:
yes a nice stock 80 series is a great RE rig.........but a 100 series is better.......alot more room in the back seat.......

Note to self ;)

concretejungle said:
Been waiting for the above statement for long time..finally :D
1) Better Gas Mileage :D
2) Less stress on drivetrain :flipoff2:
3) What vibrations? :flipoff2:
4) Better braking :D
5) Better overall performance :D :D

Keep on going and going like those Energizer bunny TV commercial...

Flint,

I have 96' Cruiser no mods. In the very near future I will put OME coils, and shocks, no lift. then the tires.

GM

Thanks for your input,

I might go OME but with no lift too, it will be a lot better than the stock suspension anyways. The LTX are great tires and are good too on a regular dirt road.

Ductape

LX_TREME said:
Been waiting for the above statement for long time..finally :D
1) Better Gas Mileage :D
2) Less stress on drivetrain :flipoff2:
3) What vibrations? :flipoff2:
4) Better braking :D
5) Better overall performance :D :D

Keep on going and going like those Energizer bunny TV commercial...

OK, so you kinda win one, but not totally. This is IF you do NOT WHEEL it and keep it as a cushy mall cruiser!!

LX_TREME said:
CJ aka Alex: Thats what the guy said right? :D

yea-yea, i hear you, just don't want to admit you are right. :flipoff2:

Had that kind of rig before, BJ60, AXT, OME, snorkel, ARB/Warn, roof rack and all but don't want to go there with the 80. It will be cushy... but we have no malls around here except the fr**kin Mall Wart that is packed with RVs all summer.

will probably go with the 235/85R16 when my current tires will be done. Thanks

Ductape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom