Talk or push me off the ledge- keep my 00 LX or buy 09... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening gents- I have been a long time lurker here and value the opinions given on this site. I have a lifelong love for the LC. A 40 was my 1st car in the late 70s. Never ended up with an 80 but wanted one. I built several 4 runners, FJs, a few GXs and recently made a Sequoia the way I wanted it. Finally ending up with a nice 00 LX I keep my trucks, cars, and SUVs in separate categories. I know one does not do it all.

As I get longer in the tooth I find that I just jump in the LX for just about all of my errands. Leaving my flank exposed for the mrs. to say "why don''t you just get rid of the M5 and the LX and get a newer LX? Damn the logic.

I drive a 21 TRD Pro Tundra so I have the 5.7 and know it well. Having built 4- 4.7 vehicles, I love the 4.7 too.

Long lead in- would you keep the 2000 LX that I have with 200070 miles or try to find a wife approved 570 in the mid 150s mileage wise? Mine is sorted out except needing an exhaust manifold at some point. Mine needs nothing other than that. Maybe some wheels if I can ever find 16s again.

I do love the 100 looks. I think the 200 needs a few things to make it palatable.

1st world problems- but help! Is the 570 a better platform?

tempImage5DZbrj.png

Having been around them both.... I vote 570.

The 2UZ is a great motor, but it's incredibly underpowered and the 4speed in the early 100's leave a lot to be desired. Plus, torsion bars are stupid.

The 3UR is killer and is a joy to drive. Between an early years 100 and a 200... it's 200 all day.

If you have several million stashed away for retirement, do whatever you want.........

Looks like you need make no apologies for the 2000 LX - great looking truck. If you don't need to tow a boat with it, I'd stick with the 100 - it's less pretentious than a 200.

For some reason, Toyota managed to make the look of their best SUVs less attractive for each new generation. In my opinion, 80 > 100 > 200 > 300 series 🤣
The 80 and 100 stand out especially when they are fully decked out with all the offroad goodies.

The 100 front suspension is practically a deal breaker though. If the 100 had coils like the 200, I would agree with you entirely.

The 100 front suspension is practically a deal breaker though. If the 100 had coils like the 200, I would agree with you entirely.
Have you seen how the strut tower flex when driven on a corrugated roads? soon after I saw it, I started liking the torsion bar setup.

Dude, you have an M5. If you have a need speed, just get in that.

In most other cases I would be inclined to say "sure if you can afford something newer and lower mileage then it could be a good choice." However, it doesn't seem that the question here is about finances or reliability.

It sounds like you have plenty of newer vehicles when you want power, reliability, and peace of mind, but this is the one you gravitate towards for character and fun. Likewise, you've tried the other Toyota 4x4 platforms or at least the various engine/tranny combos out there, but you've kept this one and reach for the keys whenever you leave the house. To me those speak for themselves: you have (and had) so many choices but in a period of your life where you don't *need* to prioritize or even justify the practical aspect of a vehicle, you reach for the 100.

I say keep the 100, use what you would have spent on 200 series sales tax and fees to get some headers and wheels. When you want power, reliability (can't believe I'm downplaying the reliability of the 100...), or modern features then take the Tundra, M5, whatever else. But keep the 100 if you enjoy driving it and reach for the keys when you need to get around town.

I appreciate the replies fellas. I am going to go drive a 570 just to see what the fuss is about. I had been avoiding that task to save me the mental gymnastics of WANTING. I guess I'll just have to do it.

The torsion bar thing was different coming from the FJ/GX coil fronts. I do all of my suspension. It would be nice to have the flex, but the engineers didi it for a reason. I had to get rid of AHC and go dumb no matter what on the 100. Simplify.

Naming a few of my cars was not meant to be one of those guys. It was meant to lay the groundwork for how I came to this impasse. I have to have a fast car or I feel naked. Dad drag raced until mid 70s. I have to have a nice truck because I have driven so many POS trucks in my life I deserve it. The SUV that always touched my heart was the cruiser. I did my decades of wheeling Jeeps. Having worked on them so much- I would not touch one again. I want a nice but not too nice rig from the cruiser family that I can jump in and go on a weekend fly fishing trip.

Here is part of the problem. Being in my 50s I still have trust issues with high mileage cars. It was earned... Now I have little issue with my 17yr old son and his FJ cruiser with 170k. He absolutely loves it so I made it trustworthy.

Knowing that every LC is only as good as its maintenance, is my 23 year old 100 still good to go for light trips a few states over to wet a line?

Thinking out loud. I know you guys are not therapists. I do, however, appreciate the back and forth from like minded folk.

Lower control arm cracks are fun
Is this common though? Not seeing a ton of these in gas powered 100 series. Otherwise torsion bars are about as robust and maintenance free as you can get. Probably why Toyota used them.

I appreciate the replies fellas. I am going to go drive a 570 just to see what the fuss is about. I had been avoiding that task to save me the mental gymnastics of WANTING. I guess I'll just have to do it.

The torsion bar thing was different coming from the FJ/GX coil fronts. I do all of my suspension. It would be nice to have the flex, but the engineers didi it for a reason. I had to get rid of AHC and go dumb no matter what on the 100. Simplify.

Naming a few of my cars was not meant to be one of those guys. It was meant to lay the groundwork for how I came to this impasse. I have to have a fast car or I feel naked. Dad drag raced until mid 70s. I have to have a nice truck because I have driven so many POS trucks in my life I deserve it. The SUV that always touched my heart was the cruiser. I did my decades of wheeling Jeeps. Having worked on them so much- I would not touch one again. I want a nice but not too nice rig from the cruiser family that I can jump in and go on a weekend fly fishing trip.

Here is part of the problem. Being in my 50s I still have trust issues with high mileage cars. It was earned... Now I have little issue with my 17yr old son and his FJ cruiser with 170k. He absolutely loves it so I made it trustworthy.

Knowing that every LC is only as good as its maintenance, is my 23 year old 100 still good to go for light trips a few states over to wet a line?

Thinking out loud. I know you guys are not therapists. I do, however, appreciate the back and forth from like minded folk.
See my signature for mileage. This past summer did a 2 week 4500 mile road trip, with lots of off road camping, then drove home. 0 issues. Going to do it again this summer, similar distance.

I have both and had a '99 LX before my '05. Hands down, the 570 is a better vehicle. More comfortable, quieter, quicker, more powerful, a little better technology and about the same fuel mileage. However, having both, I do feel that I'm more comfortable on trails with the 470 than I would be with the 570. I think my butt would pucker a little more thinking about damaging the 570 if I do something stupid.

Seeing a guy drive his far with 370k on it is why we have these for sure.

No- that is an F10 with 600 and change to the rear wheels. The new all wheel drive M cars are a bit spendy for even my extremely tolerant wife. And I highly doubt any other woman would put up with my idiosyncrasies for this long. I think I'll stick with her. I have over the years perfected my play money dealings for cars so as to not ping the radar. Guilt free so to speak.

I drove a 2017 570 before purchased my 06 470.I know the 570 isn’t that much bigger but it sure felt bigger.Driving the 570 felt like driving a 70’s luxury boat with little road feel not to mention the lack of visibility..Parked side by side the 570 looks like every other oversized SUV being produced lately.My suggestion would be to find the cleanest,well maintained 06-07 470 that you can and get the 5 speed and extra horsepower…

I see no reason to trade a well sorted 100 for an old, high mileage 200, especially a 570. JMO, but they are bloated and ugly. If you want a 200, the 16+ LC are the only ones that look good without extensive modding.

I'll admit to being biased. The 100 is very comfortable, is a pleasure to drive, has adequate power (though nothing to spare), isn't overly electronic, but still harkens back to a simpler time.

DBULL- that is another can of worms. I've had all iterations of the 4.7 whether it be in the GX, LX, or Sequoia (gen 1). I know I could feel the extra 20-30 hp but the tranny is what I think made the most difference. I'm just not sure I go looking to spend 570 money on what it would take to get a nice 06 /07 these days.

I missed on an 06 with 110k on it unmolested last year and wish I would have just poked the bear. As cool as my wife is, I get furled brow when we have too many vehicles just sitting around out here. We have plenty of land I tell her...

I think to keep the 470 one must just embrace the smooth underpowered 4.7 and 4 speed and enjoy the ride. I am on a rural road where people are going 55 so I need to get up to speed. It reminds you every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom