Talk me out of buying a tough dog lift kit! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alwaysbored786 Do you mind posting the part numbers required for all (4) OEM shocks, cushions and retainers?

Certainly!

I spoke with a rep at McGeorge, he gave these part numbers for my 2003 LC (i gave him my VIN to verify)

Part numbers and associated quantity next to each item to complete a full shock refresh (all 4 corners). This comes with all 4 shocks, all the cushions,top nuts, and retainers (washers). Eyelet bushings are already installed in the shocks, even though toyota parts site says otherwise.

Go to McGeorge for shocks (cheapest i could find)

Go to PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World for the retainers (about $50 cheaper after shipping for just retainers alone)

Total: 4 shocks, 16 washers. Cushions, top nut, and eyelet bushing are all included with the shock.

Front shocks:
48511-69585 (x2)

Retainers (Washers)
90948-02176 (x2)
90948-02182 (x2)
90948-02174 (x4)

Rear Shocks:
48531-69835 (x2)

Retainers (Washers):
90948-02170 (x2)
90948-02184 (x2)
90948-02173 (x4)

Certainly!

I spoke with a rep at McGeorge, he gave these part numbers for my 2003 LC (i gave him my VIN to verify)

Part numbers and associated quantity next to each item to complete a full shock refresh (all 4 corners). This comes with all 4 shocks, all the cushions,top nuts, and retainers (washers). Eyelet bushings are already installed in the shocks, even though toyota parts site says otherwise.

Go to McGeorge for shocks (cheapest i could find)

Go to PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World for the retainers (about $50 cheaper after shipping for just retainers alone)

Total: 4 shocks, 16 washers.

Front shocks:
48511-69585 (x2)

Retainers (Washers)
90948-02176 (x2)
90948-02182 (x2)
90948-02174 (x4)

Rear Shocks:
48531-69835 (x2)

Retainers (Washers):
90948-02170 (x2)
90948-02184 (x2)
90948-02173 (x4)
Thank you! I was confused about the eyelet bushing being included or not included. You just did the work for me. I am planning an OEM shock refresh along with TB crank OR re-index and OME 2865 rear coils for a mild lift. Cheers!

Thank you! I was confused about the eyelet bushing being included or not included. You just did the work for me. I am planning an OEM shock refresh along with TB crank OR re-index and OME 2865 rear coils for a mild lift. Cheers!

Glad to help! I think i'll be doing the same exact set up, seems like its proven and is cheap.

Did you order shocks with the rep or their site?

Did you order shocks with the rep or their site?

I havent ordered anything yet. I usually sit on things a few days before pulling the trigger. I did just check my 4600's though, and they arent blown....so i may just keep those and refresh the cushions since they are trashed.

I havent ordered anything yet. I usually sit on things a few days before pulling the trigger. I did just check my 4600's though, and they arent blown....so i may just keep those and refresh the cushions since they are trashed.
Hey check out the dobinson c59-169 they are rated for 10mm of additional Height at stock 100 series weight. I talked a tech at bilstein And they indicated the 4600 will allow up to an inch. This will give you a little bit of that good look with your 33’s

Hey check out the dobinson c59-169 they are rated for 10mm of additional Height at stock 100 series weight. I talked a tech at bilstein And they indicated the 4600 will allow up to an inch. This will give you a little bit of that good look with your 33’s

Oh thats cool! ill take a look into those springs, thanks!

Im currently searching for new cushions for the 4600's, just cant find any info on where to get them. Do aftermarket shocks use the stock cushions usually?

Wanted to say thanks for the collective wisdom here. I was on fence on similar issue (looking at OME/Tough Dog etc) and was great to hear those further along than myself recommend the Tokico & a spring that works well for intended use. My use is prob a bit more

I just got the OEM shocks ordered and looking for a set of 2860 springs. Likely will pick up a diff drop here as well given I will be under there doing a bit of work soon.

Anyone ever tried Toyota/Tokico shocks with the Ironman springs/torsion bars? I just can't get to like the IM FCP setup, and was wondering about the cheapest way to get it to be better. Problem is that here where I live there are no used parts for these trucks, so I can't just buy used Toyota tbars, and the new ones are too expensive. So I was toying with the idea about throwing the FCP's into the bin and installing oem shocks.. Maybe that would soften the ride a bit - although I know the main problem are the springs/tbars, that are way-way-way too stiff, so pretty doubtful how they would work together with the softer shocks.

Anyone ever tried Toyota/Tokico shocks with the Ironman springs/torsion bars? I just can't get to like the IM FCP setup, and was wondering about the cheapest way to get it to be better. Problem is that here where I live there are no used parts for these trucks, so I can't just buy used Toyota tbars, and the new ones are too expensive. So I was toying with the idea about throwing the FCP's into the bin and installing oem shocks.. Maybe that would soften the ride a bit - although I know the main problem are the springs/tbars, that are way-way-way too stiff, so pretty doubtful how they would work together with the softer shocks.
Lots of guys do upgraded springs/tb and Toyota shocks. While all part of your suspension The shocks do a different thing Than the springs and a front torsion bars

Your shock choice will not make the springs less stiff/abrasive. Springs take time to loosen up. Basing the ride on a unloaded truck v. loaded is also a huge part of determining what weight springs to go with, which is where most of the hand wringing happens for deciding how hard to go.

Well, after closer inspection of my shocks, i noticed the clunk noise ive been having wasnt bushings, but rather this.....

1600972082338.png

And after pulling the boot down, i noticed this.

1600972110177.png

My OEM Toyota shocks have already arrived, retainers are on there way. This is just so wild, cant believe i didnt find this earlier.....then again, ive only put like 50 miles on this thing so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom