Talk me out of a Tahoe (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help! I've been looking for a good, low-mileage, 80 series and I can't find one. I'm starting to think maybe I should just give up and get a Tahoe. Please give me some good reasons why I should hold out for a cruiser. My use will be 80% daily driver, 10% dirtbike hauler and 10% light offroading.

The things drawing me to a Tahoe are: (i) more power, (ii) brand new (even though it's more expensive) and (iii) reasonably good for light offroad use, particularly with the locking rear diff (how true is this--and how extreme can you go in an unmodified/lightly modified Tahoe?).

The reasons I'd like an 80 series are: (i) tougher/better quality (but no warranty); (ii) better offroad; and (iii) generally cooler.

I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding either side of the equation. I know that this is a cruiser board and that Tahoes are generally reviled here. Feel free to slam me for even thinking of a Tahoe.

Also, if you think a newer (3-4 yrs old) 100 series (easier to find then an 80, but less tough?) is a good way to try to get the best of both worlds, please let me know why.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

EBOD,

What is your idea of "low milage" and what is your price range? With this information we might be able to tell you if you are going to be able to find that 80 you've been looking for. Where are you located?

I just came from a '97 Tahoe with 65,000 miles on it to my '95 80 series cruiser with 180,000 miles on it (190 now) and there is no comparison....the 80 is built a lot better. more capable wheeler, more reliable, and u can seat more. thats my 2 cents. I also ended up fixing a lot on my tahoe....

Safado,

I'd consider low mileage to be anything up to about 60-65k miles. I'd hope to be able to find a clean, locked, cruiser in the $20-$25k range (to me it seems that the high end of this price range should get me a super-clean example of what I want). I live in Southern California and I think prices are higher here than they are in most other parts of the country.

I don't think I'm unrealistic in my price range, but, even if I am, I've seen very few ads for low mileage, locked 80's at any price.

depends, would you buy a new chevy malibu or a used camry?

I friend of mine has a nice, clean 97 Tahoe with 50k. We have a 97 80 with 100k. The 80 drives and feels brand new. The Tahoe needs a new transmission.
While not as powerful at high speeds, the 80 is quicker off the line than his 5.7 Vortec. He has leather, as does our 80. His interior rattles horribly, ours does not. The ride off road is SIGNIFICANTLY better in the 80. We drove his around up at our cabin most of the day, but then we took the 80 out for a spin and I had him convinced it is the best car ever built (which it is). The suspension flex is also much better in an 80 than the Tahoe.
NO COMPARISON.

My LC w/192k has much fewer problems than my friends (dealer maintained) 95k Tahoe, which has been in the shop a lot lately, not for regular maintenance either, it's been one malfunction after another for him. I would not trade for anything.

IMHO you could not justify a new $34k Tahoe (4x4 base model, NO options at all, Edmunds True Market Value) over a $10k FZJ80 w/120k, unless you just want a Tahoe. If you just want something newer and can spend that kind of money I think a 100 series would be a great way to go.

I have owned a fair number of cars (never a Chevy, but have several friends who couldn't wait to get rid of theirs), and of all my vehicles, nothing has compared with the build quality of my 11 year old Landcruiser, including a BMW I owned.

In my 25 years in the car business I spent a 2 1/2 year stint as parts manager in a big Chevy store.

NEVER AGAIN, THANK YOU. :flipoff2:

[quote author=ebod link=board=2;threadid=12151;start=msg111249#msg111249 date=1077841601]
Safado,

I'd consider low mileage to be anything up to about 60-65k miles. I'd hope to be able to find a clean, locked, cruiser in the $20-$25k range (to me it seems that the high end of this price range should get me a super-clean example of what I want). I live in Southern California and I think prices are higher here than they are in most other parts of the country.

I don't think I'm unrealistic in my price range, but, even if I am, I've seen very few ads for low mileage, locked 80's at any price.
[/quote]

I think you are being unrealistic with your price range, I can't imagine anybody tring to sell an 80, even low mileage, at that price, it is ridiculously high.

You will have much better luck if you search at a lower price range, with ~100k miles, you will save $7k-$15k, can spend 1-2k on fluid changes, new brakes and a birfield repack and not worry about it for another 60 -100k miles. Between 60-100k miles you will do this service anyway, the wear and tear on engine, tranny, etc, will negligible between 60 and 100k.

There is a '96 w/66k on ebay right now. It only has a little over an hour left on the auction but no one has met the reserve yet. I think this is the third time it has been on e-bay. The seller is in West Virginia. The reason I am pointing out this particular vehicle is that I bought a 1994 w/150k from the same guy this weekend. He seems pretty honest and has been very helpful. You might want to give him a call.

Btw, I'm not suggesting that you buy it in the next hour. I'm suggesting that you check into it if no one meets the reserve.

[quote author=ebod link=board=2;threadid=12151;start=msg111235#msg111235 date=1077839627]I'm starting to think maybe I should just give up and get a Tahoe. Please give me some good reasons why I should hold out for a cruiser.[/quote]

Um...there is no Tahoe forum on this message board. :eek:

Um...isn't a post about comparing landcruisers to other trucks still about landcruisers?

Don't listen to anyone on this board about price. Everyone here seems to think that all fzj80's are overpriced.

I was ready to spend up to $24k on an fzj80, but for that much it had to be in mint condition with lockers. During my search I looked at a 97 in San Francisco with 70k miles on it with lockers. I offered the guy 22.5 for it since it has a few flaws, like the finish on the drivers’ air bag was coming off, the steering wheel was cracking and the passengers’ sun visor was broken, and it had a few dents. The guy told me my offer was too low and would call me back if it was his best offer. (He had it advertised for $24.8k) Never heard from him again.

Later about a week later when I was in Arizona I found a 97 in Tucson with lockers that was the exact color combo I wanted with 95k on it. It is now mine for $16.9k and is just as nice as the one I looked at in San Francisco.

As for the Tahoe, I still don't know why you wouldn't buy a 100 over the Tahoe. It's not an 80 but it will be better built and better off road than a Tahoe. Have you looked at the ground clearance a stock Tahoe has?

Every Body On Deck -

If you've got that medical condition known as "money coming out the wazzoo" and just have to have a Tahoe, take a short-term lease on a brand-new truck (no more than three years) and turn it in at the end of the lease. That's your best shot at getting reliable service from a Chevrolet product. (Why not look at that Cadillac truck, if you've got the itch for GM?)
We had Chev trucks from 1978 through 1998, and they just got sorrier and sorrier.

If you're on a more reasonable budget and want long-term value for your dollar, buy a used TLC or LX model and keep it for 8 or 10 years (or more). Frankly I like the 100 series, due to larger engine, better brakes, nicer road manners, but still very capable for those occasional trips off-road.

Check the accounting web sites and (loads of fun) financial planning bulletin boards for the appropriate excel spreadsheets for comparing the return on the two types of investments.

LT
8)

Get a new tahoe :) what do they cost $36K - $40K. Where a used 2001 LC with 30-40K miles on them will run you around low $30K range. Plus the tahoe comes with piston slap at no extra charge ::)

So I'm confused. Where have you been looking? I did a quick AUTOTRADER search for LandCruisers in and around 90210 (only ZIP that came to mind, I had a roommate that was a fan) and there's bunches of them. From plain stock to one that is highly modified...all in your price range. Just call any of them and ask about the lockers...more than likely never used. Take your pick. CA price ranges aren't as low as East Coast, but not much higher either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom