Talk me out of a 4Runner TRD Pro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I found a 4R TRD Pro in Lunar Rock. No markup, just MSRP. It was inbound at the same dealership where I bought my LC. The salesman called me this weekend and said it’s arriving today.

They would not take a deposit and said it’s first come first serve. Since I’m out of town I had my parents show up at the dealership at 8am with a check in hand, ready to pay cash. They were the first ones there, yet somehow the car got sold to someone else at 9am.

Needless to say I’m pretty pissed. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be. But still pretty crappy the salesman just let it get sold like that.

Needless to say I’m pretty pissed. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be. But still pretty crappy the salesman just let it get sold like that.
High probability it was sold before open to someone who personally knew the sales manager. Sales people are trained to influence customers to come to the dealership so they can attempt to persuade them to buy another vehicle than the one the customers want. Happens a lot.

If possible, car buyers should wait 3-6 more months to be in a favorable negotiating position.

Well I found a 4R TRD Pro in Lunar Rock. No markup, just MSRP. It was inbound at the same dealership where I bought my LC. The salesman called me this weekend and said it’s arriving today.

They would not take a deposit and said it’s first come first serve. Since I’m out of town I had my parents show up at the dealership at 8am with a check in hand, ready to pay cash. They were the first ones there, yet somehow the car got sold to someone else at 9am.

Happened to me few years ago as well. Prior to getting the LX570, I was looking for a used 4th gen 4R Limited. Searched every day. Finally found one I liked the. Listed on the website same day it came on the lot. Talked to the salesman a few times during the day. Left work early to go to the stealership; examined and test drove the 4R and was ready to trade in my car. Only to find out that when I came back from the test drive, another couple was inside making a deal for the 4R!!

Salesguy couldn't give me a straight answer as why he was negotiating with the couple while I was on the test drive. Made up some excuse how the car I was planning on trading in was too unique to get a proper trade in value, but then claimed that if it doesn't work out with the couple, "the car is yours." I waited an hour and left without the 4R.

I was also pretty pissed, wasted the entire evening.

I can't see buying a TRD Pro because I like the looks. It's a never ending chase. Look at a 2016 TRD Pro. Looks like today's SR5. I'm sure in 2016 folks thought these couldn't possibly look any cooler.

Not sure what the situation is like in NYC for the OP, but probably like here in southeastern PA in that there are a lot of them on the road. I see two different army green ones on my way to work and one of those bright blue ones belongs to a guy one block over from my home. So the "cool" effect of the stock TRD Pro wears off fast when you are constantly waiting at traffic lights with on behind you and one on your left. I mean, I like the look of the one in Lunar Rock, but at the end of the day still just another 4runner. And you will still have the underpowered engine and searching 5 spd.........

Admittedly my TRD 4runner experience was with ones rented at Denver airport on two separate week long trips, so they were subject to altitude and climbing stress. I also test drove one the day I bought my Cruiser at my wife's suggestion to be sure I wasn't overpaying for minimal gain. She drove it too having not driven the 4runners we rented. We bought the Cruiser.

Last edited:
What lift do I need to fit 33's on a 4 runner? Also which rooftop tent is best for driving around the city? Best way to mount a hi lift jack on stock rear bumper? What size under armor sticker fits best on the back window?

How did this post make it to 11 pages? Take it to the 4runner boards boys.

Here's what I've owned and my take away-

v8 4th gen 4runner
v6 4th gen 4runner
2013 GX 460
91' rhd diesel 80 series
2011 LX570
2014 GX 460
(And 3 of my friends have modded 5th gen 4runner TRD OR's on 33's)

The 80 is in a class all on it's own. Solid axle toyota truck that can do anything and go anywhere. Being they are 20+ years old.. It's noisy and too clunky on the highway for my tastes to daily drive. Taking it from Dallas to CO or any other state more than 5 hours away to wheel/camp/adventure is a general headache, literally. However if you're looking for a rad 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) vehicle and you live relatively close to where you like to hang out.. It's a great option. More cargo space (vs the 4R). Terrible fuel mileage. Very reliable. Did I say solid front axle? :)

I love 4th gens in general but just like the 5th gen, the dated powertrain really sucks. Dated interior. Dated creature comforts. No special off-road do-dads (lockers, etc).

The 5th gen 4runner spells out Toyota IMO. It's simple, reliable, makes decent fuel mileage, and has *most* modern creature comforts. If you get the Pro or TRD OR they come with rear lockers which add some good value.
To me.. they have no balls on the highway, feel sluggish AF even with 33's and don't have enough cargo space. The roll down rear window is awesome! They make great daily drivers in the city or for weekend wheeling trips. As long as you're not toting around a large family or going on extended road trips, they are the ideal *hop in and drive it without ever worrying about it breaking truck*.

The GX... ahh.. Yes. I'm on my 2nd one. They're the sweet spot I think. Better drivetrain than the 4unner. Similar fuel mileage vs the 4runner. Better overall value vs a 200 series. Seats offer more side bolstering which I like. Interior finishes are nicer than the 4R. With upgraded suspension it rides very similar to a 4R. The 6spd trans and V8 really do make a huge difference on and off-road. I had 35's on my first GX and this was very evident when comparing it against my buddies 4Rs that run 33"s. My only real gripe is that I wish they had like 4-5 more inches of interior cargo space. The rear barn door is... whatever. I don't hate it. I don't love it. It's essentially a fancy 4runner with a better drivetrain.

The LX / 200 series is again.. A totally different truck. Way more interior space. Larger V8. Lazier driving characteristics on-road (Read, more full-size truck-like). Much worse fuel mileage vs the 4runner and GX. Interior finishes are just more.... luxurious. The seats are a notch above the GX as well IMO.. Much quieter inside. Double pane windows. Split rear gate is a HUGE plus IMO. Higher towing capacity. Longer wheel base.. great for towing. Ability to run tundra suspension components. Potentially run 37"s.

I am currently trying to decide whether to keep the 14' GX or sell the 11' LX I just purchased. Both are amazing trucks. I love both. They shine in similar and not so similar areas.
If you are looking more for a daily driven truck or even just something you can use on the weekends to keep the miles off the 200, I would say check out a GX first. They hit MUCH closer to home in comparison to a 200 series than a 4Runner in almost everyway. If the GX is too "shiny" for you then I would say go test drive a 4runner and see if you like it.

/thread

Well I have allways got a good deal at Koons in Virginia … Til today was browsing and sales guy was super pumped had what wanted … until after I seen the MSRP around 54k then the hammer dropper they had there premium … 22k extra …. LOL
I talk to sales manager but no deal there … they actually wanted to buy one of my land cruisers , I bought them there and told them I had a delivery charger since I live in Pa and they are 3hrs away … I said I have delivery fee of 23k … LOL

42E004EC-3F54-4DA4-B7CA-710CAB0C89E0.png

Well I have allways got a good deal at Koons in Virginia … Til today was browsing and sales guy was super pumped had what wanted … until after I seen the MSRP around 54k then the hammer dropper they had there premium … 22k extra …. LOL
I talk to sales manager but no deal there … they actually wanted to buy one of my land cruisers , I bought them there and told them I had a delivery charger since I live in Pa and they are 3hrs away … I said I have delivery fee of 23k … LOL

View attachment 2777514
Some idiots are willing to pay it.

I paid $26,000 for my 2007 4Runner V8 brand new in January of 2008. 2UZ runs circles around the anemic V6 on a platform that is mechanically unchanged in 20 years. Good on Mr T for being able to sell it.

Found another dealer in NY , I guess they figure there are lots of suckers out there , Island Toyota only wants a extra 20k

View attachment 2779961
Yeah these dealers are scumbags. I tried buying a 4Runner through Team Toyota Princeton recently. Same dealer where I bought my ‘21 LC brand new.

They led me on for months saying they don’t charge a markup and it’s first come first serve once the car arrives on the lot. So I showed up first and they still sold it someone else. What a joke. I told them I’ll never do business with them again.

Find a quality vinyl wrap company with good reviews and have them wrap your HE Land Cruiser in Lunar Gray or similar color. It would be worth the $2K or $3K price if it is quality. You get the custom 1 of 1 Lunar Gray LC200 you desire! It will help preserve the paint from scratches and chips for the next five years and when you get tired of the color switch back and remove the vinyl wrap. I have never in seen an image of one so it would be cool to have the only one. OMO

Find a quality vinyl wrap company with good reviews and have them wrap your HE Land Cruiser in Lunar Gray or similar color. It would be worth the $2K or $3K price if it is quality. You get the custom 1 of 1 Lunar Gray LC200 you desire! It will help preserve the paint from scratches and chips for the next five years and when you get tired of the color switch back and remove the vinyl wrap. I have never in seen an image of one so it would be cool to have the only one. OMO
Or if you really really want 4runner size get the GX and have the better power in the v8.

When my son totaled our '95 80 series in Jan 2016 I came home (within a couple of hours) with a brand new TRD Pro, and said to my wife, "Here's your new Land Cruiser replacement! It's the best 4WD on the market today."
Wife: Gets in and adjust mirrors. "Poor visibility." -Salesman explains airbags.
Wife: Pulls out of the driveway and goosed it on the snowy street. The tire spun a little. She weaved around in the snow while giving it gas and it did what a TRD Pro does. "It doesn't handle the snow very well, does it?"
Salesman: Mouth falls open in the back seat.
Wife: She ran over a curb into an empty parking lot. "Doesn't handle curbs very well, does it?"
Salesman: "How often are you going to run over curbs?" I shot him a death glare. Curbs are the least of what we run over and she runs over them all the time.
Wife: Spinning donuts in the empty parking lot while the ATrac tried to keep up. "Kind of lousy traction."
She left the parking lot to head home. On the way she said, "If this is the best that's out there I just want another 80."

I flew to Chicago and picked up a '97 80 series within a couple weeks. Beat to hell and still love it.

When my son totaled our '95 80 series in Jan 2016 I came home (within a couple of hours) with a brand new TRD Pro, and said to my wife, "Here's your new Land Cruiser replacement! It's the best 4WD on the market today."
Wife: Gets in and adjust mirrors. "Poor visibility." -Salesman explains airbags.
Wife: Pulls out of the driveway and goosed it on the snowy street. The tire spun a little. She weaved around in the snow while giving it gas and it did what a TRD Pro does. "It doesn't handle the snow very well, does it?"
Salesman: Mouth falls open in the back seat.
Wife: She ran over a curb into an empty parking lot. "Doesn't handle curbs very well, does it?"
Salesman: "How often are you going to run over curbs?" I shot him a death glare. Curbs are the least of what we run over and she runs over them all the time.
Wife: Spinning donuts in the empty parking lot while the ATrac tried to keep up. "Kind of lousy traction."
She left the parking lot to head home. On the way she said, "If this is the best that's out there I just want another 80."

I flew to Chicago and picked up a '97 80 series within a couple weeks. Beat to hell and still love it.
This is the best post I've ever seen written about an 80 series on this site. Hope you saw mine! Posted in this thread.

This is the best post I've ever seen written about an 80 series on this site. Hope you saw mine! Posted in this thread.
Yes, great looking rig! I love the leather. My interior looks like crap. I love my 80, but I also love new. No cracked rubber or plastics, all the electronics work well...I've been looking into all these new offerings and for the money I'd be paying monthly in car payments I feel like I could correct some of the old issues my 80 has and just love it more. I'm still tempted and would like to get something to beat on that I don't care as much about, but it always comes back to the 80.

Yes, great looking rig! I love the leather. My interior looks like crap. I love my 80, but I also love new. No cracked rubber or plastics, all the electronics work well...I've been looking into all these new offerings and for the money I'd be paying monthly in car payments I feel like I could correct some of the old issues my 80 has and just love it more. I'm still tempted and would like to get something to beat on that I don't care as much about, but it always comes back to the 80.
I would much rather spend $40k on my 80 rather than on a new car that won't work with my phone in 3 years. I love the analog feel, the looks, the celebrities who love them, the stories my Salesman told me about Land Cruisers and the people who buy them. We truly are a cult. I appreciate the kind words about my 80!

You guys are really swaying me away from the 4R. Not to mention the crazy market now for them. Enjoying my LC200 for now.

Not like I’m in any rush to buy another vehicle, so I can keep window shopping. Thanks again for all the valuable feedback and replies.

The wife thinks my LC 200’s are too big same with the Lexus , she likes the smaller Lexus . 4runner is kind of in the middle she like the TRD Pro … Its a girls truck , real men drive 200 land cruisers …LOL I teller her that .
Just crazy what dealers are doing , I found a local dealer near me that says they will not add any extra fees to inflate the prices , they don’t have any inventory to inflate … LOL
So far the dealers I found in the greater northeast adding 20k
Lustine , VA adding 5k to used and 20k to new
Koons , VA adding 6k to used and 22k to new
Koch 33 , PA adding 5k to new
Team , NJ adding 20k to new
Island , NY adding 20k + to new
All suck

The wife thinks my LC 200’s are too big same with the Lexus , she likes the smaller Lexus . 4runner is kind of in the middle she like the TRD Pro … Its a girls truck , real men drive 200 land cruisers …LOL I teller her that .
Just crazy what dealers are doing , I found a local dealer near me that says they will not add any extra fees to inflate the prices , they don’t have any inventory to inflate … LOL
So far the dealers I found in the greater northeast adding 20k
Lustine , VA adding 5k to used and 20k to new
Koons , VA adding 6k to used and 22k to new
Koch 33 , PA adding 5k to new
Team , NJ adding 20k to new
Island , NY adding 20k + to new
All suck
In my area south Texas, car dealerships seem to be getting more new inventory now. I wonder if prices will soon be back to normal not this ridiculous over sticker thing they try to do. The odd thing is man I still see a lot of new cars out there so people are paying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom